Forums Latest Members
  1. Dgercp May 18, 2015

Do these hands seem correct for a 1940s tri-compax?

Thanks

image.jpg
  2. ELV web May 18, 2015

Hands look good to me, picture not clear enough though, while dial looks unbelievably pristine (will need to scrutinize with a better picture if you can provide one). Others sure will chime in. Also on the dauphine minute and hour hands they look correct but I don't recall them appearing in early 40s UGs (latter half of the 40s seems more like it). Again, better hear it out from the more intelligent and diligent guys in the forum.

3. Dgercp May 18, 2015

Thanks for the quick reply. Watch listed on european watch company new arrivals. I am unable to copy any more of the photos on the site unfortunately. If you could take alook that would be helpful

4. ELV web May 18, 2015

I addd pictures so others can chime in:

The watch serial number is 10xxxxx so it is from very early 40s, crown with U should be from a later period (original should not be no signature)

Dial is super nice and clean, I think it is genuine dial but I am not sure it came with the watch or not, other experts should be able to provide you with better assessment.

Hands I think all are genuine and the sub dial hands are original to the watch but the dauphine hour and minute hands I am not sure came with the watch originally or not (but they are also genuine)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

5. x3no May 18, 2015

IMO that dial is a late redial, very well done though. It's very crisp and really no patina at all on it for being a 40's vintage. Just my opinion though!

Or... Perhaps a new old stock (NOS) dial.. Either way I'm not sure thats the original dial anyway.. My 2 cents.

nicolas07 likes this.
  6. Dgercp May 18, 2015

Thanks! So, crown clearly not original to watch, hands are UG but likely not original to watch and dial
    seemingly too clean looking, likely a redial? Are dauphine hands always wrong for these early 40s TC's?
    Maybe will pass on this one.

7. ELV web May 18, 2015

It does look like a later NOS to me.

8. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason May 19, 2015

The dial, minute/hour hands, and crown are authentic UG parts, but not native to this case. I would say the dial is not quite NOS but in very good condition ;).
    None of their Universal watches are worthy of consideration imo. I love how they call their redials "rejuvenated" ::facepalm2::

M_franco and x3no like this.
  9. rolokr May 20, 2015

Gold hands on a steel Tri-compax ?????

10. ELV web May 20, 2015

image.jpg
    @rolokr @jordn in your experience with many UGs, have you seen any steel case with gold dial and hands. I got one of those, and I am thinking the whole dial includin movement was transplanted, but then it means there must have been a gold case for this set of dial, movements and hands before? Perhaps Gold meting frenzy but the owner happens to have a steel case?

Edited May 20, 2015
    LouS likes this.
  11. CarSnob Beware of Swedish Terminators named Jurgentron! May 20, 2015

Such a noob question, but where do you guys find watches like these? The dials are *pristine*. I haven't seen a single watch in my time looking that is as flawless as these two. I am equal parts suspicious and jealous.

12. ELV web May 20, 2015

I got mine from finer times, just have to keep looking, many out there still I am sure (I don't mind that the watch may not have started together as in my case I like the dial and the case also feels as new as the dial, but I am left to wonder why the moon phase became so aged despite the new case and dial )

13. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason May 20, 2015

Dial variations with gold indices/markers were matched with gold hands.

20150520_230404.jpg 20150520_232825.jpg 20150410_152228.jpg

ELV web likes this.
  14. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason May 20, 2015

I do believe the dial is from a gold case Tri-Compax. Here's an example courtesy of Hodinkee:

download.jpg

One thing that gives me pause is the fact that your dial is signed by Freccero. Is it possible that they received these dials from UG which were then transplanted into a steel case in accordance to a customer's wishes? It's possible. If that was the case, I think one could argue that the dial is "original" to the watch.

As a side-note, did Freccero sign dials themselves? Anyone know? I ask because the signatures are often of higher quality than the other well-known retailers

Edited May 21, 2015
    ELV web likes this.
  15. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason May 20, 2015

Jealousy is warranted. Suspicion? not so much ;)

nicolas07 and CarSnob like this.
  16. wristpirate May 22, 2015

Love that gold case TC from Hodinkee. Do you have a link to the article??

17. j.allen May 22, 2015

It's not unusual for any watch to have gilt hands and markers inside a stainless case, although matching is more common. However, in this case the dial color seems to clash with the color of the stainless case, as if it really does belong in the gold case as pictured here. So the OP's suspicion may be correct.