Forums Latest Members

Correct Buckle for GP Zenith 40T Chronometre

1. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 5, 2013

Hi!
    I am in the process of restoring a Zenith 40T Chronometer. The case is gold plated. The lug width is (I believe - the watch is currently with my watchmaker) 18mm.
    This should IMO give a 16 or possibly a 14mm buckle as the "right" answer. Since the watch case is gold plated, a GP buckle will also be a given.

However, what would the right style buckle be?
    I have seen them in several styles, and with either the star symbol or the ZENITH name on them. Any ideas or advice?
    A "pre-restoration" picture is enclosed as reference.

3035765-3.jpeg

All advice warmly welcome!

If anyone even has a buckle like this for sale I would be delighted to hear from you! Just PM me!:)

2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 5, 2013

Cool watch. You need a Z-in-star buckle.

Northernman likes this.
  3. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 5, 2013

4. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 5, 2013

Love The look! But is that price for real?

:(

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Nov 5, 2013

The buckles are a bit of a loose subject, like a lot of things Zenith. In about 1960, they changed to the buckle with ZENITH written on it, but they also carried on using (presumably old stock) buckles like MMMD has shown up until about 1965 as well as the "new" design.

1960s.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-Z...0640750?pt=US_Watch_Bands&hash=item5af6fa136ePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

For reference, this is the one in the earlier link:
    Pre 1960.JPG

To complete the set, here is one from the 1970s from after the radio company bought Zenith:
    1970s.JPG

Christos likes this.
  6. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 5, 2013

Hi Guys!
    Thank you for perfect advice!
    I have had a closer look at my watch and found that the crown has the star with a Z. Based on this I guess it will feel most correct to mirror this on the buckle.
    The chase is on!:thumbsup: