Forums Latest Members

Convince me not to sell my Skyfall AT

1. Shem Jan 22, 2014

So I'm thinking about selling my Skyfall AT. I still think it's an amazing watch, but I'm missing a piece from a true haute horlogerie brand like a PP Nautilus or AP Royal Oak, and to raise funds I would need to let the Skyfall AT go. Please convince me that a Skyfall AT is actually superior to a Nautilus or Royal Oak despite being vastly less expensive.

2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 22, 2014

Depends on how low your selling price might be ;)

watchme likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2014

No, the Aqua Terra is not superior. You get a high cool quotient for the $ though. Frankly, I don't care much for the two models you're thinking about selling the AT to fund even though they are better calibers.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

I won't do it. You have a burning, quench it .
    I'd drop the AP and add A. L&S though.

or add GO and save a little. I did and found that my desire was quelled (for now). Added a GO PML and I am still amazed by its level of craft.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

I remember now that we discussed GO before with regard to plate finishing. Nothing more to add to that except that very few brands finish all sides of all bridges and plates.
    Anyway the important part here is the elevated piece you are considering has to speak to you.

6. Baco Noir Jan 22, 2014

Let me help with the decision...

[​IMG]

7. Shem Jan 22, 2014

Wow, you'd think on an Omega forum there'd be more encouragement to keep an Omega! You guys are enablers!

8. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2014

First and foremost! :D

ps - have you considered a VC Overseas?

9. Shem Jan 22, 2014

The wife has actually made this decision easy for me. I'm cut off from further watch purchases until after I actually get some enjoyment out of the ones I've gotten recently instead of chasing the next thing.

10. Shem Jan 22, 2014

Yes, I've looked at Overseas and tried one on, but it just doesn't do it for me. It's gotta be a Nautilus or Royal Oak (though the Aquanaut ain't bad either). In particular, a blue Nautilus 5711 or 5712 or a blue or black (undecided) 15400 or 15300 (undecided, I have small wrists...15450 would be perfect if it came in black or blue).

11. Shem Jan 22, 2014

And really, if I got a Royal Oak, I'd still probably chase a Nautilus just to have a Patek. When I got into watches, I wish someone had told me I'd be spending as much as I have. Then I would've just gotten a Nautilus at the beginning and been done.

12. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2014

But you would have missed all the fun and experiences along the way. With most hobbies, it's about the journey not the destination.

13. Shem Jan 22, 2014

You're right, of course. And I definitely couldn't have appreciated something like a Patek without fully experiencing the rest of what's out there. At the time I started this hobby, I would never, ever have considered buying something like a Patek. Or an Omega, even.

14. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2014

My first watch as a kid was a Texas Instruments LED that you had to press the button to display the time, and even then it ate batteries….. because I was a kid and kept checking it out. :oops:

All through my 20's into my early 30's it was nothing but quartz watches. Movado, Wittnauer, Bulova, etc. Inheriting my grandfather's WWII era rose gold manual wind Bulova slowly started the mechanical craze in my mid-ish 30's, leading to a Rolex DateJust after a few years. Finding watch forums around age 40 kicked it into overdrive and led to an Omega Aqua Terra (2504.80), a Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece (7108), and a Seiko Orange Monster among dozens of vintage Bulova, Benrus, and similar brands. Vintage took over and it's been a revolving door of ins & outs for the last 6-ish years, and a constant drive to move up the ladder.

15. Shem Jan 22, 2014

Wow, that's a nice journey!

I had a couple Citizens in high school and realized I liked watches, though I knew nothing about them. I didn't wear a watch from like junior year of high school until the year after I graduated from college, when I bought myself a quartz Movado SE. Fast forward to mid-2013, I bought a Citizen, and then two Sea-Gulls, and then a Speedy Pro, and then an electric blue 300m...then I sold the Movado, the Sea-Gulls, and the electric blue and bought an AT8500, then I bought another electric blue 300m and a Rolex Air-King, then an aventurine Speedy Pro, then I sold the electric blue 300m, then I bought a Rolex Yacht-Master, now I'm working on selling the Air-King and considering selling the AT8500 (and maybe more) to move up to Patek.

It was a fast journey, for me. :p Usually with hobbies people work on them a little at a time over the course of their lives and gradually move up. I tend to be more obsessive, working every waking moment to go from beginning to end in a hobby (any hobby) over a period of months, not years or decades. It's probably a psychopathology.

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

Ride' 'em Cowboy. riding.jpg

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

I'm pretty sure she can't do that, have you checked your marriage contract? reading.gif

:D