Forums Latest Members

Convert from female to male bars? Yes or no?

1. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 26, 2017

So today I picked up my 12553 Tri from my watch maker after a full overhaul. I asked them to install my new Hirsch strap while I waited (female bars). After about 20 minutes of me ogling watch magazines in the waiting area, he asked if I would approve conversion to male bars as he was afraid of damaging the very costly strap. I said no because I feared diminishing an all original watch. He got it done after another 15 minutes. Had I decided on the conversion would I have made the wrong call?
    Gratuitous watch pic:
    IMG_4979.JPG IMG_4980.JPG

Giff2577 likes this.
  2. Jonatan May 26, 2017

How would they do that? Am I guessing they would cut the spring bars and drill in a little?

If that's the case there's a lot of room for mistake. I think you made the right decision.
    No idea if a well-done conversion would affect the value of the watch.

Giff2577 likes this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 26, 2017

Exactly .. these guys are restoration experts, make parts, do Patek/ VC etc so I had full confidence but I could not bring myself to disfigure a perfect watch.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 26, 2017

Yea I guess its a bit like driving a car with a crash gearbox, its one of the idiosyncrasies that give it character, albeit an inconvenient one at times. I'd definitely leave it as its meant to be.

Beautiful watch though!

5. Jonatan May 26, 2017

Any change would affect originality, in the purist point of view.

gatorcpa likes this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 26, 2017

I'd leave the watch as it is, dysfunctional as it may be.

My solution would be to fit a set of correct spring bars and then use open end straps of the type with the little tabs, like used on trench watches etc.

Or even a NATO.

:eek:

(Joking about the NATO of course)

Larry S likes this.
  7. Carlton-Browne May 27, 2017

I think we've all thought about doing this at some stage but the sensible option is to leave well alone.

8. billving May 27, 2017

I wouldn't touch them.

9. 10H10 May 27, 2017

I'm surprised that the watchmaker made such a suggestion and that you as a collector accepted to do it, no matter how costly is a leather strap, to keep the watch original is primary... I have some female bars watches, of course it's a bit difficult but when you get the trick it can be done quite easily without dammaging the strap.
    Imho, to cut and drill holes, everybody can do that but if you want to put the pins back, the soldering will always be visible...
    Beautiful Tri-Compax btw !

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 27, 2017

No ... I declined his suggestion. He managed to finesse the band on with female bars. Glad it was him and not me. It was a night mare.

Edited May 27, 2017
    10H10 likes this.
  11. LaurentBxl May 27, 2017

i would never have a case drilled unless it is absolutely necessary... on the Compax I have with female bars, I go for softer suede, cordovan straps that are easier to place than stiff alligators.

Larry S likes this.
  12. bgrisso May 30, 2017

As much as I dislike female spring bars, I would leave it alone. I'm impressed they got that strap on, it's similar to the kind that was giving me a lot of trouble.