Forums Latest Members

Contemporary Speedmaster Dial Swap Options?

1. jpet88 Feb 12, 2020

Good morning all,

I received a 2017 Speedmaster (1861 movement, contemporary reference) as a PhD graduation gift. I've been wearing the watch religiously since. I've been eyeing panda/reverse panda dials, particularly the Speedy Tuesday dial, and wondering if it might be possible to have a watchmaker swap out to a new dial. I know there is a Mitsukoshi dial swap some owners have done, but I was wondering if there is a definitive list of options for what is or isn't available? Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 12, 2020

No definitive list. The ST dial is not available to buy on it's own - you have to send an ST dial in to get a replacement.

3. pongster Feb 12, 2020

The dial is indeed one of the, if not the, most significant parts of the watch. :)

4. machamp6650 Feb 12, 2020

Hard to know what you're referring to by a definitive list - if you want a general idea of what speedmaster dial parts are commonly available, this isn't a bad place to start (although $$$$): https://www.swisslimitededitions.com/omega-dials

As per Archer above, ST1 dials are replacement only parts and I've never seen spare dials floating around on the open market.

Between the dial, hands, bezel, even caseback service parts around (although admittedly hard to find or increasingly expensive) the options are pretty much endless.

5. thegreatpatsby Feb 19, 2020

I have an extra mitsukoshi panda dial and hand set if you want to go that route.

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 19, 2020

Why would you disrespect the person who gave you such a wonderful gift by not accepting it for what it is?

Tom

7. thegreatpatsby Feb 19, 2020

If someone gifted him a house he can't paint it? If someone gifts him a car he cant change the wheels? That kind of thinking is inherently flawed; hes trying to make it his own- he clearly enjoys the gift and its not like he'd be throwing away the original dial?

~50$ and he can get it switched back whenever he wants.

8. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 20, 2020

If I gave someone a gift and he immediately wanted to change it, I'd ask for it back and curse him sincerely from my heart.

You are one unfeeling bastard. That you have three posts here and want to sell your dial really makes me want to curse you too.

Tom

9. thegreatpatsby Feb 20, 2020

Four posts, but why should that have anything to do with anything other than being a straw-man argument.
    If I gifted you a lock would you change the combo?

10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 20, 2020

I wouldn't accept anything from you.

Begone.

Tom