Forums Latest Members

Contact with omega - defect on seamaster planet ocean

1. hvdv01 Jun 23, 2019

In april this year I made a few dives with my watch, after refraining from diving for 2 years with my watch.
    It started fogging and went too fast , in the end it stopped completely. The diagnosis now is: Tube damaged, movement rusty, glass edge has signs of severe shock, dial damage and enamel affected , deformation of housing legs , . It can be repaired for 820 euros , which seems quite steep. For this reason I want to talk to customer services, but they do not reply after three complaints through their website.
    In 2016 I had two incidents within 5 months. Twice it was serviced through an official dealership.
    Does anyone know how to establish contact with omega?

A slight bit of compensation seems in order as I have desk job and dont destroy my precious watch easily.
    I am rather fed up with this firm and brand. May resort to another brand.
    Any similar experiences?

Regards Hans

2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 23, 2019

What does “deformation of housing legs” refer to? If the tube has been damaged and the crystal subject to severe shock it doesn’t sound like there is any manufacturing defect involved, rather the watch has suffered somehow in regular use and leaked as a result. One can hardly blame the manufacturer for that.

My own experience shows that you can beat the hell out a watch at a desk pretty well, perhaps not as comprehensively as if you were working in the shop, but still pretty well.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 23, 2019

What model of watch?
    What depth/period of dive/dives?
    How long after the dive did the fogging start?
    Where are the photographs?

4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jun 23, 2019

That's certainly your prerogative.

5. Canuck Jun 23, 2019

From the sound of it, the damage before you dived with the watch was:

- Tube damaged
    - Crystal damaged
    - Deformation of housing legs (case damaged?)

The damage that occurred after the immersion:

- Movement rusty.
    - Dial damaged.
    - Watch quit running.

So, you have a desk job which might keep you busy about 40 hours per week. Sleeping, about 50 hours per week. Meals, about 20 hours per week. It might appear as though the damage you describe is not likely to have happened during the 110 hours you work or sleep or dine. That means we must now account for the other 58 hours per week when the damage to your watch perhaps is most likely to have occurred. To quote you, “I have a desk job and don’t destroy my watch easily”. Many watch manufacturer warranties do not cover “damage resulting from wear beyond reasonable limits”. To me, it sounds as though your watch has been worn beyond reasonable limits. Is there a lesson to be learned here?

NikolShep, blufinz52 and Fritz like this.
  6. boraxman Jun 23, 2019

::popcorn::

Walrus and Donn Chambers like this.
  7. hvdv01 Jun 24, 2019

I dived three times , not deeper than 75 ft for 60 min each. Stupid of course because you don not need one , but the main selling point for this type of watch - type 22005000 - is its underwater capabilities . Years ago I went diving with swatch without sweat for ages .
    I like the follow up of event Canuck described.

One of my main problems is to get in touch with omega - they do not respond to my mails but accept and acknowledge my sending.
    Maybe I just have it repaired and sell it - what would be the value after repair?
    I still have the original case and cards - it has a rubber strap and the metal one is still available.
    I wil post pictures when it gets back eventually
    regards Hans

8. hvdv01 Jun 24, 2019

I never had a leaking dive computer , may go for a [​IMG]

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 24, 2019

Did you have the seals replaced and the watch pressure tested as per the instructions that came with your watch.

A watch’s water resistance cannot be permanently guaranteed. It may be affected by the ageing of gaskets or by an accidental shock to one of the components assuring the water resistance such as crown, pushers and crystal. As stipulated in our service instructions, we recommend you to have the water resistance of your OMEGA watch checked once a year by an OMEGA authorised service centre.

Edited Jun 24, 2019
    Foo2rama likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 24, 2019

Hi Hans,

When was the last time the watch was serviced, and when was the last time you had the watch pressure tested?

Omega recommends pressure testing at least once per year:

[​IMG]

Given that the case tube was damaged, there is likely no compensation coming your way from Omega.

Cheers, Al

Als 27 and Foo2rama like this.
  11. hvdv01 Jun 24, 2019

the 2016 measurement to 10 bar
    how does a case tube get damaged?

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 24, 2019

As noted, it should be tested at least once a year if you dive or swim with it.

The case tube cab be damaged in different ways - they can be deformed from an impact on the crown, or the threads can be stripped out.

Stripped threads...

[​IMG]

Good threads...

[​IMG]

In either case, if the tube is damaged Omega isn't going to cover water intrusion under warranty of any kind, and given that the last service was in 2016 the service warranty would be expired by now anyway.

13. Canuck Jun 24, 2019

“how does a case tube get damaged?”

Being as the crown on the case tube sticks out from the edge of the case, that tends to be a focal point for impact what you hit a door jam, the corner of a wall, a desk, anything hard and immovable. From the sound of your reference to diving with the watch on your wrist, a fair amount of your leisure time is taken up with active pursuits. Your Omega was well designed to tolerate the rigours of active use, but like most watches, they tend to suffer damage when use becomes abuse. You may not consider incidental accidents as abuse, but that is what it amounts to. And when you are pushing the limits (as in diving), that is when the results of those accidents begins to show up. Your watch is durable, but not indestructible.

14. hvdv01 Jun 25, 2019

I will rest my case and have it repaired anyway , thx for your input
    Still unsatisfied with customer service though

15. gpssti4 Jun 25, 2019

A little harsh. I’d not consider accidentally banging a watch against a door jam as abuse. These are made to be worn and life sometimes deals blows like these. Dropping the watch I’d agree with though. Anyway, as has already been said, get the watch pressure tested yearly if intending diving with it.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 25, 2019

Regardless if you call it abuse, or just wear and tear, it would not be covered by the warranty.

Als 27 likes this.
  17. gpssti4 Jun 25, 2019

I agree with that, and never said any different. If it has physical damage then a warranty won’t cover it.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 25, 2019

And that was the point being made.

Als 27 likes this.
  19. gpssti4 Jun 25, 2019

Indeed. That was never a contentious point. I disagreed with the word ‘abuse’ for daily wear and tear that was all.

20. Canuck Jun 25, 2019

If you don’t like the word abuse, then perhaps “damage” would suit you better. Watches are known to occasionally leak, especially damaged ones.

Als 27 likes this.