Forums Latest Members
  1. trotters Apr 30, 2019

Hello,

I've picked up this Constellation 168.017 cal.564

Case back, serial and caliber all add up according to Omega Vintage records

The lume at some hour markers is missing but what remains matches the colour on the hands.

I'm unsure of the shape of the hour markers as they seem a bit thinner than others I've seen. Also not sure if the hands are correct with this dial.

I'm sure I'm missing other stuff but would welcome any comments from those with more knowledge than me (so that's basically everyone....)

Price was £400/$515 delivered

It's going to be worn regardless and if it's a complete dog then at least I can learn from it. Be gentle!!

Cheers

20190429_165354.jpg 20190429_165406.jpg 20190429_165420.jpg 20190429_165442.jpg 20190429_165505.jpg 20190429_165613.jpg s-l500 (1).jpg s-l500 (2).jpg s-l500.jpg
    Rochete, Vicke and ChrisN like this.
  2. ConElPueblo Apr 30, 2019

Looks good to me :)

Get it serviced ASAP and wear it as much as you can get away with!

George.A, Vicke and rincondeltiempo like this.
  3. trotters Apr 30, 2019

Blimey, I'm amazed that my first attempt seems to be a good one! It's already on my wrist and will be sent for a service ASAP.

I feel this could be the start of a long (and expensive) journey.....

Many thanks,

James

DaveK likes this.
  4. peterkirk01 Apr 30, 2019

A really nice watch , and bought for a very good price. One thing I cannot understand is why most contributors tell you to get the watch serviced as soon as you buy it. Why not wear it for a couple of months, see how it runs and then if it needs to go to a watch guy send it. If not just keep wearing it until that need arises, maybe years. Only my opinion. Good luck.

trotters likes this.
  5. omegaswisst Apr 30, 2019

Hi @trotters and nice pick up :thumbsup:

If you don't know the service history and are intending on wearing the watch regularly it would be wise to get the watch checked by a trusted watchmaker.

You may have noticed a circular wear mark on the inside of the case back indicating the rotor has been rubbing. This may have been corrected at a previous service and the wear marks have just remained or they may be from the rotor currently rubbing. Either way it would be prudent to have it checked out.

Noddyman, Vicke, trotters and 2 others like this.
  6. ConElPueblo Apr 30, 2019

Because of this:

Also, @peterkirk01 - I believe that most collectors would advise against using time keeping as a deciding factor on whether or not to get a watch serviced. Heavy wear on the movement parts may not necessarily result in poorer time keeping under all circumstances, but running an unserviced movement will cause the parts to be degraded faster. Preventive maintenance is prefered to repairs, esp. with watches with hard to find parts in the movements.

DaveK, mydeafcat and trotters like this.
  7. peterkirk01 Apr 30, 2019

My theory in life , both cars and watches is fix them when they need fixing. You can spend a whole lot of money and effort maintaining something that doesn't need it straight away. Again, only my opinion. Thanks .

8. ConElPueblo Apr 30, 2019

Have you never had the oil and filters on you car changed before the engine was catastrophically damaged? Replaced tires before they ran completely slick? :)

Never mind the actual costs of replacement parts for a broken watch (or the hassle of finding some out of production items!), just consider that a heavily worn movement (even with broken parts replaced) will never perform as well as a regularly maintained one. Add to that the issue of finding someone capable of doing a competent service on a sixties Omega movement versus finding someone capable of doing a proper repair on the same...

9. JwRosenthal Apr 30, 2019

FABA18B8-F3A0-4FCC-90BC-E10D1D2FCDC3.jpeg My grey dial says hi!
    Nice pick up at a nice price. These D shaped are highly undervalued IMO, not for any reason other than the shape isn’t the pie-pan Connie that everyone wants. I love mine, one of the sexiest sport watches I own. See if you can track down a bracelet for it, the bricks aren’t cheap but incredibly comfortable and worth the price.

Rochete likes this.
  10. Rochete Apr 30, 2019

D-shapped?

11. JwRosenthal Apr 30, 2019

Sorry, meant C shaped.

Rochete likes this.
  12. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 30, 2019

Sports watch?
    The Constellation is the ultimate dress watch. (Even the C-shape;))

13. JwRosenthal Apr 30, 2019

I find these Connie's sporty in the same way the Oyster cased watches are sporty (considering the DJ a "dress watch" is a modern affect and totally contrary to how the watch was actually marketed originally). Compare these watches to a classic dress watch, and these look rugged.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 30, 2019

I think you’ve done really well, C -shapes used to be that price but not anymore.
    BTW Desmond considers those indices to be the archetypal set to have.
    Nice case, edges and brushing intact.
    If you’re bothered about the lume, get someone like @Mitka to match it when in for a service - it might not glow but it will look the part.

And contrary to what @peterkirk01 says, please do have it serviced if you’re going to wear it - by the looks of that old yellow gasket it hasn’t been serviced for a very long time and the rotor grinding away on the caseback is too painful to think about

trotters likes this.
  15. smorrisonmd Apr 30, 2019

I'd say you did very well. Congrats!

trotters likes this.
  16. ConElPueblo Apr 30, 2019

I agree. Waterproof and with fairly robust, I have always considered Constellations (well, most of them) to be a bit of an in-between a true dress watch and a light sports ("everyday") watch.

17. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 30, 2019

This will have to be one of the rare occasions that we disagree.
    However, only partly.
    I agree that Constellations are robust in their style.
    I agree that they can be an everyday watch (I wear my Connies everyday)
    But I can’t agree that they fall into any ‘sports’ category.
    Sports watches have buttons or numbered bezels (or even both!)

Versatile, definitely.
    Sporty - hmmm, I think not.

BTW @JwRosenthal what’s a DJ? ;)

18. JwRosenthal Apr 30, 2019

Sorry, DJ is Datejust.
    I would put watches with buttons and numbered bezels in the tool watch catagory, these were meant for serious duty, not tennis at the club.
    Sport watches historically have been watches meant for a more active lifestyle, made of steel, waterproof, robust in construction, shock resistant. The Connie and earlier (non-dive) Seamaster’s both fit this profile (even their solid gold variants fit in this catagory). Dress watches were historically made of gold, slim in profile and elegant- water resistance optional as you are more attentive washing your hands in French cuffs anyway.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  19. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 30, 2019

I was only yanking your chain regarding the DJ (as this is the Omega side of the playground) and in truth, also about the Constellation being the ultimate dress watch.
    I get what you are both saying about Connies - they really are versatile and can be an everyday watch and go just as well with a suit and tie as with more casual attire.
    As it happens, I think the C-case is the most robust and least ‘dressy’ of the Constellation range and according to the article by Desmond was designed to be more accessible - and none the worse for that.
    (Although I can’t imagine too many ‘blue-collar’ workers, that are mentioned in the article, being able to afford a Constellation)

20. JwRosenthal Apr 30, 2019

Lol!- got it. I was active in BMW forums years ago and we would play dumb when anyone talked about anything from Stuttgart.

I agree about versatility. The entire Connie range is well suited from jeans to jacket and tie- but I wouldn’t wear them with a suit...just a bit too flashy for me...but I am a traditionalist. When I see guys wearing sub’s or PO’s with a suit, I just roll my eyes....have fun tucking that thing back under the sleeve.