Forums Latest Members
  1. monti Apr 5, 2018

I'm looking for some information on this Constellation that I recently bought. I believe it's whats called the Rail Track dial but I'm not sure, or even if it's called rail track or train track dial as I've seen it posted both ways on the web. As far as I can tell it's a fairly rare model but I can't find anything about production numbers compared to piepan dials. It looks better in real life than these pictures :) Any information about it would be great. Enjoying learning on this site with such a wealth of knowledge.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TexOmega likes this.
  2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 6, 2018

These dials are notoriously difficult to assess
    A sharper front on image with hands away from the fonts will help.
    Also you’ve cut off the serial number but assuming it’s 17xx it’s in the right ball park.

The case itself is a little soft with a replacement crown but the medallion is quite nice.
    Some rotor rub means the movement requires a service.

Hope that helps.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. monti Apr 6, 2018

I have attached some better images of the fonts. Yes the serial does start with 17. I just had a new crown that is supposed to be correct put on the watch as in the new photos. Are these dials rare? Also is there a correct name for them Rail track, train track? Thanks for letting me know about the rotor wear, I'll see about getting it serviced.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

TexOmega and micampe like this.
  4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 6, 2018

The serial makes it quite an early 14381 but is in range for a ‘missing text’ dial.
    The Center dial looks to have vertical graining (as it should have) and the fonts look correct.
    The track does seem to have some shine as it should have but if I had to call it I would say the minute ticks have been reworked as they’re not consistent -especially in relation to the track.
    The crown is the correct new replacement but it would have been a faceted crown (or occasionally lobed) originally.

I’d like to hear from some real gurus - as I said these dials are often difficult to call.

5. sat968 Apr 6, 2018

Interesting that this dial is using arabic numerals. My rail track and a couple of others I've seen here just use indicies. While I'm no expert (I missed that mine was a redial), this does appear to be an original dial to my uneducated eyes. The guidance I was given was to compare character by character to this know good dial.

With a service, new crystal and the correct crown, this will be a very nice, and rare, watch. I would take a very light hand with the case if you decide to touch it up.

known-original-dial.jpg

Thatguy, bardamu and TexOmega like this.
  6. ConElPueblo Apr 6, 2018

Ehm... Well, can you settle for me until the big guys show up? :oops:

I'd say that it looks correct, but well worn. The case has indeed taken a battering - is it gold capped, @monti?
    I see nothing wrong with the dial, but those Arabic numerals make it an uncommon variant of an uncommon variant of a desirable watch ;)

The value of this one is very, very much in the dial. Wouldn't mind transplanting it into a nicer case!

MtV, BenBagbag and micampe like this.
  7. Rman Apr 6, 2018

From my archive, not sure who owns the watch.
    9A88E715-6017-451F-9325-67C3C7F75B56.jpeg
    I believe your dial is original.

tamura, GregH, TexOmega and 2 others like this.
  8. monti Apr 6, 2018

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what "missing text dial" means? I just had the crown done at Otto Frei in Vancouver B.C. and he assured me that was the right crown for this watch serial number because I too thought it should have the lobed crown like on an old seamaster I have. The first pictures show the crown that was on the watch when I acquired it but I think he said the cap has come off of it. It does seem to be knurled like the replacement one.

9. monti Apr 6, 2018

yes the watch is gold capped.:)

10. sat968 Apr 6, 2018

FWIW, I have a standing search on the bay for this model, and nothing has turned up in many months. I do wish I could nab another one... :cool:

11. ConElPueblo Apr 6, 2018

"Missing Text" refers to a part of the dial text that is normally found on Constellations, but on a range of them from a certain period it is absent - hence "missing".

The crown you have bought is the correct replacement crown; when collectors talk about an item being correct, we mean "period correct" - the part that would have been there to begin with. In this case there are, probably, two options, both discontinued from Omegas part catalogue.

12. monti Apr 6, 2018

Thanks for the information, I greatly appreciate it. I did keep the old crown but not sure if it was original or not

13. cristos71 Apr 6, 2018

Dial looks good to me ( although I too don't profess to be a guru ) and I also recommend a case transplant down the line. 14381's with plain vanilla dome dials can be picked up reasonably regularly on Ebay and it will really make all the difference.

Here's one I used to have in rose gold cap.

070.JPG

A less often seen half waffle variant...

20170608_203016.jpg

And a simple plain steel version

2015-11-28 22.35.17.jpg

Dimitris, Shabbaz, durri70 and 9 others like this.
  14. Thatguy Feb 1, 2021

Pardon for my untrained eye, but how does this dial counts as a redial? If it was reworked as neat as possible like that, I think it count as a good job restored dial and kudos for the guy that did it.
    I hope that this one is original though... What do you think?
    Btw been sourcing the scalloped crown for this for nearly 3 years and haven't had a luck... If you know any, please let me know ~

Best Regards,
    Jev P_20210201_122315.jpg

Edited Feb 1, 2021
  15. seekingseaquest Feb 1, 2021

Is it yellow gold or rose gold? I have a rose gold one..

16. Thatguy Feb 1, 2021

It's YG gold cap ~ IMG_20210202_003515_553.jpg IMG_20210202_003100_824.jpg
    Can I see yours?
    Btw, also I'm still waiting for the steel one to come ~
    i-img640x480-1611471674a1amws7242.jpg i-img640x480-1611471665pgyckc18202.jpg Can't wait!

Zapatta likes this.
  17. seekingseaquest Feb 1, 2021

I only have the crown

I was watching that steel one too. Bracelet is a franken FYI, but the movement is a “special chronometer” serial number. I have one of these too actually, it’s in my project pile. Much worse condition. Congrats!

18. Thatguy Feb 1, 2021

Oh.. I thought you have the watch .
    Is it scalloped crown or decagonal?
    Oh... So you're eyeing on that watch too? On ebay?
    About the bracelet, should've been the likes of the speedy bracelet like cristos has [​IMG] idk the bracelet /end link ref though. Btw what do you mean by"special chronometer" serial number?

19. seekingseaquest Feb 1, 2021

20. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Sep 29, 2023

Morning, wondering your thoughts on this one, dial unmolested?

IMG_0018.jpeg
    Zapatta likes this.