Forums Latest Members
  1. Brad Cancian Jun 30, 2012

Hi all,

Picked this one up recently and have just had it land on the doorstep. I am very new to watch collecting (have only really been studying vintage Constellations, and only really for the last couple of weeks) but have read most of the articles on Desmond's Omega Constellation Collector blog, and recognised it as what I think is known as the "last" pie pan model produced, the cal 1011 in the 165.0065 case. It appears that this watch was produced in the mid 1970s for the Japanese market only:

http://omega-constellation-collecto.../07/last-omega-constellation-piepan-left.html
    http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//Last_Omega_Constellation_Pie_Pan.pdf

Having carefully read through Desmond's articles above, and closely compared his excellent pics, I think from what I can see I have a good one. All seems to match up from what I can see?

Some pics I just took:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't have the tools to open the back of the case and check the innards, but these pics were provided from the seller:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The watch has been worn and exhibits quite light surface scratching but is generally in excellent condition - everything seems to work well and it so far is keeping good time (though I hadn't wound it when I took the pics). There is no discolouration to the dial or any of the dial hardware (apologies as my pictures under direct lamp light seem to "pop out" the light scratches, it really looks quite clean in the hand). Edges all appear sharp and the watch doesn't look like it was ever polished?

It was priced under what a "normal" stainless steel pie pan non-crosshair dial in similar condition would usually sell for, as the "unusual" configuration probably put off many potential buyers (but as I said, I recognised it from Desmond's blog as a "real" constellation configuration and possibly one that might not yet have received serious attention from the fakers).

What are the expert's thoughts on this one?

Thanks!

BC

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 30, 2012

Did it happen to sell for $970 by any chance?

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 30, 2012

Well the this is nice the chicken has come home to roost. Don't worry about it being unrecognized, it was spotted by many :cool: . This watch has been much discussed privately. Some of us here even bid on it, Great buy Brad; you got a fine piece. Thanks much for the great pictures. Don't let the forum's Brisbane jackeroos get there grubby mits on it. :D

4. ulackfocus Jun 30, 2012

Nice snag Brad! :thumbsup:

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 30, 2012

Congrats! As I've said, that is likely the best example condition wise of that case reference that I've yet seen. It is a keeper for sure.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 30, 2012

Excellent catch!

One of these is still on my want list.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 30, 2012

You've done well mate, take good care of it!

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 30, 2012

We've found maybe a dozen or so of this reference over the years. The only issue I would have with the watch is the absence of the serial number sticker, which tells me that the bridge is a replacement.

With this particular reference, I don't think that is of any great consequence due to rarity and great condition of the dial and case. Besides, with these 10xx calibers, these parts are fully interchangeable anyway.

Nice buy Brad!
    gatorcpa

9. Brad Cancian Jun 30, 2012

maybe....:whistling:

Thanks guys, I did note the missing sticker but the rest of the mechanism and condition matched so it was a risk I decided to take. Sure it wasn't cheap, but it probably was never really going to be in such an open forum as the 'bay. Glad I did ok :)

Cheers,

BC

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 30, 2012

Brad, please understand, you did better then OK; you did good! :thumbsup:

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 30, 2012

You've got yourself a good one there Brad, would look sweet on a NOS 5 row BoR

12. MaiLollo Feb 15, 2018

Hey guys,

I'm aware that I'm resurrecting a very old thread, but I have a friend that has one of these amazing Connies made for the Japanese market. It was offered to me, and although I like it a lot, my focus isn't on Constellations.
    He's a stand-up guy, so don't hesitate to message him about the watch, on his website or is IG!
    https://sabiwatches.com/
    https://www.instagram.com/sabiwatches/

Obviously, I'm not affiliated to the sale in any way, but trying to put demand in front of supply for a special piece ;)
    I've told him that he should sign up on here :whipped:

IMG_7981.JPG IMG_7982.JPG IMG_7983.JPG IMG_7984.JPG IMG_7985.JPG

13. Edward53 Feb 15, 2018

It's not showing on his website. He does have some extremely nice chronographs though and fairly priced IMO. No indication of what country he's in.

MaiLollo likes this.
  14. watchdaddy1 Feb 15, 2018

I just purchased a watch from him & it had a harvested mvmnt in it from a C case connie & what I purchased was a dog leg case Connie.
    He has since taken back the watch back so he is a stand up guy but need mvmnt shots w/ serial #'s showing 1st.

MaiLollo likes this.
  15. MaiLollo Feb 15, 2018

I've seen the black cal 320 in person, and I almost bought it. I'm amazed it hasn't sold yet.
    I only fluked because I stumbled on a 69 Speedmaster with a special dial when I committed to buying his 320 :D

He's based in Paris, just like I am. I wanted to post it here since it has not been advertised yet, but it is for sale. Just get in touch with him.

To be clear, I'm creating a bit of buzz to help him sell & show his cool watches to OF (maybe not every one knows the site). I'm not incentivated in his sales and cannot vouch for each one of his watches, but I know he's a stand-up guy.

16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 15, 2018

I’m hear you when you say that can vouch for him @MaiLollo but if he is a friend of yours you should advise him he has to be a bit more careful in describing his watches as “all original” if he doesn’t know that for sure.
    The Connie referred to above has a replacement crown and later replaced movt.
    All credit to him for taking it back with no quibbles but it doesn’t help his credibility when trying to start a trusted vintage watch business.
    I’m guessing he didn’t know and hopefully will be more circumspect in future.

watchdaddy1, MaiLollo and ConElPueblo like this.
  17. MaiLollo Feb 15, 2018

I'll let him handle his own business like a grown-up ;)
    He's signing upp here I've been told

watchdaddy1 and Peemacgee like this.
  18. gui Jul 2, 2019

Hi, anybody knows where can i found a case back for vintage constellation pie pan?

19. Shabbaz Jul 2, 2019

Ehm. Which one? The 1680065?

20. gui Jul 2, 2019

Hi, i dont have the case Back in my hand. I Will send the pictures. As soon as i have i send the reference