Constellation Jumbo 168.001 or Dog Leg 168.005

It's actually all in the title !
I fell in love with the Constellations, and have read already quite some informations on these, mainly most of the massive amount of documentation that Desmond has gathered so fantastically on the Connies ! Thousand Thanks to him for this !
Until recently, I had been concentrating on the "mainstream" models, e.g. the Dog Legged ones, Cal. 561 primarily, gold capped being my preferred ones ; but then I have suddenly come accross a gold capped Jumbo one, so the 168.001 (37mm without crown) which is known to have been produced for the Asian market.

So I am now in the usual tricky situation : I truely love the Pan Pie dials and the Dog Legs, but the very simple dial of the Jumbo is also something gorgeous, (though maybe a bit more classic, less "Connie" ?) so isn't the 168.001 a more collectible model ?

Further question : everything seems OK with this watch, except the outer part of the dial (Silver) is deteriorated : any guess as to what it could be ? Moisture due to a cracked gasket ? The seller inherited it from his late uncle, and history has gone with him... I would not mind too much as long as the progression of what seems to be a corrosion is stopped and some conservation is done. Or could it be that only the laquer on the silver has been attacked ? I am waiting for further close-up pictures, but in the meantime, I would be grateful for your valued opinions to help me make up my mind !
Many thanks in anticipation !

Damage is minor, I would wear that. It won't be A1 collectible, but a good wearable.

Thanks for your comment back Bruce235 ! A1 ... I am not familiar with these ratings : any document you recommend where I can find the different quality ratings ?
And any idea what might have happen to the dial ? Desmond in his most valuable description of the Jumbo 168.001 mentioned that these models being mostly sold in Asia, many would have suffered from the tropical weather conditions; could this be the cause ? Thks

Thanks for your comment back Bruce235 ! A1 ... I am not familiar with these ratings : any document you recommend where I can find the different quality ratings ?
And any idea what might have happen to the dial ? Desmond in his most valuable description of the Jumbo 168.001 mentioned that these models being mostly sold in Asia, many would have suffered from the tropical weather conditions; could this be the cause ? Thks
That's not a real rating sorry I just meant the damage would stop getting top collector value for it

I would guess water damage too which means you really need to see the movement. It may not be nice in there.
Jumbos are sought after right up there with dog legs and pie pans. Some folks collect all of them.

For me I’d get the 001, way better value

I would guess water damage too which means you really need to see the movement. It may not be nice in there.
Jumbos are sought after right up there with dog legs and pie pans. Some folks collect all of them.
Damage on the dial seems to be the only hick-up on this watch ; the movement seems really OK, and has undergone a complete checking-cleaning etc... I got plenty of pictures, which to me indicate that it is mechanically OK

That's not a real rating sorry I just meant the damage would stop getting top collector value for it
OK, reason I'm asking is that the seller of a 168.005 I'm currently evaluating indicated an "A rating", so there seem to be a kind of quality rating for vintage watches, e.g. A1 - A2 - A3 and then B1 - ... or the like ? Would make sense, though criterion would be quite subjective

I haven't got any statistics so far, but I believe produced volumes of 168.005 are likely to be far higher than of 001, right ? and probably much less in "capped gold" vs "ST"

For me I’d get the 001, way better value
Also my guess, and though I haven't been digging for too long on this search, I have come across say 20 or 30 168.005, but in say 3 months, it is the first 001 I have seen so far.

A collection of Connie’s needs a few dome dialled examples 😉

I haven't got any statistics so far, but I believe produced volumes of 168.005 are likely to be far higher than of 001, right ? and probably much less in "capped gold" vs "ST"

I wouldn’t get too hung up about relative scarcity.

Yes, there are far fewer ‘jumbo’ Constellations around than doglegs but you may then be looking at compromising on condition as in this case.
(BTW there are several jumbo references not just the 001)

I think you mentioned that you were originally looking for a pie pan dogleg - perhaps focus on what floats your boat and concentrate on condition, as it is much more likely to make you happier in the long run.

Oh, an OF watch comes back:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/jumbo-omega-constellation-168-001.122813/

I bought it from @Shabbaz 3 years ago. The crown and a rather uncommon 18mm buckle were added by my. Here’s the full serial for comparison, and you can also spot the dial damage on the wrist shot:

I never really could unsee the dial damage and ended up trading it in, I believe for a SS example. It went to a Dutch dealer, which must have been late 2021 or so, about a year later.

So, this unfortunate late uncle couldn’t have enjoyed it for very long.

Generally, if I had to pick one it’d be the jumbo
Connie. Just a different animal, and especially in GC tough to find while the doglegs were produced in large numbers. Wrist presence like no other Constellation from the time. And looks super classy. However, as stated above, the dial of the one above ended up a dealbreaker for me. It’s up to you to decide if this is the case here, and it also depends on the price very much, you can see the old price in the FS ad linked above.

I’d also ask the seller 1-2 questions I think. Hope this doesn’t come across disrespectful, the story might well be true, but the late-uncle-story together with the recent “checking/cleaning” (the usual euphemism for service that actually wasn’t one) of the watch, which the heir did have done… I don’t know. It rings quite a few alarm bells. If it checks out, great, but I’d want to know.

Edit: Yeah, just saw that the seller is now asking 3150€. That’s a hard pass.
Edited:

That's a lot, you can do much better buying here on the forum.

Also, the Japanese have a rating system for watches. Have a look at a few eBay listing

Agreed @MtV
Mine was merely 1,000 USD equivalent (cross-hair dial although that was wrong crown, wrong second hand).
Lately bought a generic BoR bracelet for 25 USD, with some trimming works to fit that bracelet on my stainless steel 168.001.

Oh, an OF watch comes back:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/jumbo-omega-constellation-168-001.122813/

I bought it from @Shabbaz 3 years ago. The crown and a rather uncommon 18mm buckle were added by my. Here’s the full serial for comparison, and you can also spot the dial damage on the wrist shot:

I never really could unsee the dial damage and ended up trading it in, I believe for a SS example. It went to a Dutch dealer, which must have been late 2021 or so, about a year later.

So, this unfortunate late uncle couldn’t have enjoyed it for very long.

Generally, if I had to pick one it’d be the jumbo
Connie. Just a different animal, and especially in GC tough to find while the doglegs were produced in large numbers. Wrist presence like no other Constellation from the time. And looks super classy. However, as stated above, the dial of the one above ended up a dealbreaker for me. It’s up to you to decide if this is the case here, and it also depends on the price very much, you can see the old price in the FS ad linked above.

I’d also ask the seller 1-2 questions I think. Hope this doesn’t come across disrespectful, the story might well be true, but the late-uncle-story together with the recent “checking/cleaning” (the usual euphemism for service that actually wasn’t one) of the watch, which the heir did have done… I don’t know. It rings quite a few alarm bells. If it checks out, great, but I’d want to know.

Agreed !
Story isn't clear : however, service seems to be real (and professional ??)

So if I get it right, this ref. 24454640 had been on the market already some 3 years ago ... and though a full service may have been made, price is over the top, and even if Connies prices have gone up a lot these last 2-3 years, it seems way to high to me; what do you folks think ? Thanks for your advice !

]

So if I get it right, this ref. 24454640 had been on the market already some 3 years ago ...
Me think you would want to say serial number of movement, instead of reference number. The last one is 168.001