Forums Latest Members
  1. Gui13250 Jul 3, 2020

hi all!
    I’ve this wonderful Connie, previous owner has bought a décagonal crown to his watchmaker fews month before selling it to me.

when I pulled out the crown, I’ve noticed something like a washer on the crown tube, which was loose (not attached to the crown).

I pressed the crown when back in place against the case, and the washer seems back against the crown, but not perfectly fitted. You can see it on the picture below.

Is it something common on those vintage crown?
    I guess this washer is there for sealing, but should I let it as it is as long as I manage to avoid water and sweat? Or should I do something?

I really want to keep the décagonal crown

thanks for your help :)

97F014C3-951C-49E5-BBFF-956CD28489A2.jpeg

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 3, 2020

When the crown is constructed, the seal is placed into a recess, and a washer is pressed into the crown to keep the seal in place. It appears that the washer has come out of the crown - it happens sometimes on very old crowns.

You would have to take the crown/stem out of the movement to determine if it can be fixed...

Gui13250 likes this.
  3. Gui13250 Jul 3, 2020

Thanks a lot @Archer

I’ll show it to my watchmaker when he will receive the new plexi.

knowing that those crown are not available anymore, and if it can’t be fix, do you think it is dangerous letting it like that?

i do not wear it everyday, and when I wear it, I take it off to wash hands, and do not wear it when the weather is too hot to avoid sweat.

I do not want to have something else than a décagonal... except if you thinks it cannot be worn like that or if you think I will damage the watch.

thanks

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 3, 2020

I wouldn't trust an old crown like that even if the washer was still in place...

Gui13250 likes this.
  5. Gui13250 Jul 3, 2020

Thanks!
    So I guess, like I did with my previous one, I’ll keep the décagonal even if I can’t fix it, and will wear it carefully :)

I definitely cannot imagine having it with another crown model!