Forums Latest Members
  1. COYI Dec 23, 2016

I've been wanting to add a vintage Omega to my collection for quite a while and have narrowed my focus to a constellation 168.019 (or 168.029 with the coin edged bezel). The reasons for choosing this model are as follows:

Constellation range was the top-end line at the time and I admire Omega's in-house chronometers which were among the most accurate and reliable movements at the time.

I like the styling of the c-shaped case and the beautiful silky linen dial. I also like watches with a day date complication and I believe this movement is Omega's first day date chronometer.

My priority is to find a very good example that hasn't been molested and hopefully not overpay. I'd be grateful for your opinions on the condition of this piece. There is no photo of the movement so I'm just concentrating on the case, dial hands etc. for the moment. I added a picture of this model from Omega's database. Omega says the "dial is with hand-rivetted gold hour markers and gold hands" do you think this is correct https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-details/15189/ ?

To my non-expert eye:
    The case looks very good with sharp edges and original brushing/polishing intact. The crown looks original
    The dial also looks good. There may be a some tiny specks (see around 7 & 8 o'clock markers) but I don't think they detract much from the overall impression. The text all looks good - I was a bit worried about the 'SWISS MADE' at the bottom but I managed to find photos of other watches with the same font so I assume it is original
    The hands look original and in good condition
    The crystal looks pretty good and I think I can just about see the omega logo engraved in the centre

Is my assessment ok or am I missing some defects, and what price range would you expect to pay for this example (assuming the movement is in a similar condition to the rest of the watch?

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 15189.jpg
    Edited Dec 23, 2016
  2. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Dec 23, 2016

Don't consider it without good photos of the movement.

3. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2016

Looks like a decent honest example - the case edges still have their bevel, and the medallion is in good shape. Nice linen dial. I'd say that's between $700 and $1000 depending on if it's serviced and the movement isn't cobbled together.

COYI likes this.
  4. corn18 Dec 23, 2016

There looks like something seriously wrong with the MOY

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 11.27.08 PM.png

Unless the camera angle is wrong or that MOY is ok on this reference.

5. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2016

MOY doesn't always hold true. The key to using it in knowing when to ignore it. Personally, I don't use it at all and rely on fonts and spacing.

6. ConElPueblo Dec 24, 2016

Yep. Dial looks great, lovely specimen :thumbsup:

tanglefoot and COYI like this.
  7. Willem023 Dec 24, 2016

Great find!
    Linen dials are great on these ones.
    Agree also on stated price: depending on service around the USD 850 mark, give or take.

Mine (with coin bezel) says hello

Schermafbeelding 2016-12-24 om 11.50.00.png

8. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 24, 2016

I also have the 168.029.

Even though the dial is referred to as "linen" I can't help wondering if the actual material is something else - woven fiberglass for example...

168.029 SS _122416 4868.jpg
    Purchased in 2015, recently serviced, for around $600US; bracelet acquired later.

Here's my advice for finding a good one: Looking in the private watch sales and the dealer watch sales here and post in the Want to Buy area.

Pay attention to the recommended Omega watch thread; I've picked up a couple of beautiful pieces from advice there. Like this Connie:
    Constellation561_092016 3816.jpg

Kathmandu!, TNTwatch, GregH and 2 others like this.
  9. COYI Dec 24, 2016

Thanks very much for your feedback and advice, it is really appreciated. It's also great to see some other fine examples of Connies from this era.

With respect to the MOY test I looked at plenty of photos of the 168.019 and several of them were the same as the one in my post (see photos below and this link which is an interesting article about servicing this model http://watchguy.co.uk/service-omega-constellation-168-019-calibre-751/

Following your comments, I'm even more confident that the watch is all original and a nice example, subject to the condition of the movement. As the exterior seems well looked after or used sparingly I think there is a good chance the movement will be OK.

Merry Christmas and thanks once again.

Omega_Constellation_168019 MOY like mine.JPG IMG_6554 MOY like mine.jpg
  10. Willem023 Dec 24, 2016

Uhhm, do not think the dial is made out of linen.
    Nor would a 'teak dial' (look on Google') be made of teak.....

::psy::

Happy holidays!!
    :thumbsup:

11. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 24, 2016

I guess now you'll tell the the Speedyorite dial isn't actually made from a meteorite or a waffle dial on a Seamaster made of waffles...

12. ulackfocus Dec 24, 2016

Ah spos he will.

13. Willem023 Dec 25, 2016

Waffles? I like waffles...!!!
    Merry Christmas!