Forums Latest Members
  1. tim_fss Jun 25, 2015

Hello guys, I'm a newbie here and I'd like to thank you already for so much information that I've been able to reach in such a short time.

I bought my first vintage watch last month, an Omega Constellation 14900, caliber 551. Maybe I have rushed a little, because now I realize that I haven't done all the proper research that I could have.

So, could you please be so kind as to give me some feedback on my new watch? Does it look ok? I'm not sensitive to critics, so please tell me all that you can see in the pics below.

The watch is running well and keeping time, I just changed the leather strap for a black croc with Omega symbols (most probably not original).

Thanks so much in advance!

Tim

$_57.JPG $_57 (1).JPG $_57 (2).JPG $_57 (3).JPG $_57 (4).JPG $_57 (5).JPG $_57 (6).JPG $_57 (7).JPG $_57 (8).JPG $_57 (9).JPG $_57 (10).JPG
  2. sliceoftime_ Jun 25, 2015

Not an expert, but IMHO the dial has been cleaned or retouched.

A dead giveaway is the crooked star, no swiss made.

tim_fss likes this.
  3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 25, 2015

It is a clear redial with the movement showing age and the case polished heavily. I would advise a return if possible.

4. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Jun 25, 2015

this is a mess, re-dial, case is too polished, wrong hangs, movement looks tired, very tired... shall I continue?

5. tim_fss Jun 25, 2015

Thanks! How can you tell that the movement looks tired?

6. tim_fss Jun 25, 2015

Thanks!

Why is a redial so bad? Isn't it supposed to make the dial look better than those old "musty" dials? I understand that a collector would like to have the original dial, but if one wants to wear the watch everyday...?

If I look for an original dial that matches the watch and an original case, would it make it a "franken" without value or would it be reinstated to a good shape?

7. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Jun 25, 2015

What I mean by tired, is essentially what Mike MSN said about the movement showing its age.... Look at the pictures, the rotor looks like it was scrapping the back of the case, the plating looks like its coming off from the different plates, ect.. just not a good example.

8. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Jun 25, 2015

Tim, its already a franken (in my opinion) with those hands....

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 25, 2015

Nothing really wrong with a refinished dial, but this one (along with the rest of the watch) is particularly bad.

10. tim_fss Jun 25, 2015

Good to know! Guess it'll take some time for more research before I buy another vintage watch! :) Thanks

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 25, 2015

Tim
    it must be disheartening to have your watch picked apart like this -but that is why this forum is so bloomin' great (and useful) because the guys here say it how it is -but without any sense of criticism.
    Mainly, they get really pissed off at the thought of someone being ripped off -hence the remark about returning the watch.

What they say is all correct of course.

This is a cal. 564 and bit younger than yours but a good example movement should look something like this (even before it was serviced)

IMG_0599.jpg

the hands should look something like this 'dauphine' style

Screen Shot 2015-06-25 at 21.25.37.png

and the impressed medallion and back like this -again this was before it was cleaned (but not polished)

IMG_0597.jpg

If you can't return the watch -and you like the way it looks how it is -then wear it in good health.
    It might not be a collectors piece -but if you like it, that's all that counts in the end.

But get the movement serviced -probably replace the rotor (and bearing ) -these movements are so damned good that even a tired one could outlast us both if serviced properly.

If you want to start looking for an original piece -look at Desmond's site
    http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.ae/2007/08/dial-update.html
    it has pretty much all the information you need to learn about Constellations of all ages

-and when you find something you want to buy -post it up here for comments -before you buy it
    Philip

JohnSteed and ChrisN like this.
  12. tim_fss Jun 25, 2015

Dear Philip, thank you very much for your comments! I appreciate the time that you took to reply so carefully and I like the way that you think!

I do like how this watch looks when I'm in a suit (everyday at work), but certainly I feel I've been fooled and I don't want this to happen again. Fortunately I posted this questions here before I bought other franken watches! At least it didn't cost me too much, about $500.

Before I buy another watch I hope I can count with comments like yours (and the other guys above too) and hopefully sometime I'll be able to help new users of this site.

All the best,

Tim

styggpyggeno1 likes this.
  13. lillatroll Jun 25, 2015

If it helps, nearly everyone gets caught out at some point. My first purchace was a good clean honest watch but I paid a lot over the odds for it. The only saving grace is that I love it and will never part with it so I can't loose my money. As peemacgee said, if you are happy with it then keep it and enjoy it. :)

tim_fss likes this.
  14. tim_fss Jun 27, 2015

kentlinardi - thanks for you comments! I've noticed in this YouTube video (
    ) many Omega watches without the "Swiss Made" inscription, is it possible that there was no such inscription originally?

15. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jun 27, 2015

Lots of old Omega don't have Swiss Made.

Yours must have Swiss Made to be correct.

tim_fss likes this.