Forums Latest Members

Consolidate collection into 1 or keep them all?

1. ikeo1 Apr 27, 2015

Just wanted to throw this out there from another thread that was going on. The situation is, I was thinking about consolidating the collection to go to 1 nice watch, that watch being a Patek Nautilus 5711/1a-010 blue dial. More the merrier or one to rule them all?

Also, I know a lot don't consider watches for their monetary retention value but I'd like to hear what you guys think on whether or not this would be a model that appreciates in time, depreciates, or just holds value.

nautilus.jpg

What I think I was going to sell out and possibly consolidate from was

Rolex BLNR
    Rolex Sea-Dweller 4000
    Omega SeaMaster PO LE LM 2500
    Omega SpeedMaster 3572.50

IMG_1060.JPG

2. Drawarms Apr 27, 2015

Do it, and then 6 months later, I bet you will buy another speedy :whistling:

TheCaptainOfTech and ikeo1 like this.
  3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 27, 2015

I kinda did this. Got rid of all but two watches that were gifts I plan to keep forever. I got a Nautilus 5980.
    I planned on the Nautilus being my "only" watch.
    I made a list of watches $15k and under that I like, and immediately began saving for the next watch. Along the way, I plan to buy/sell/add cash and buy again. Same game plan that got me to my Nautilus after 30 years!
    So my advice (that works for me and may not work for you or others): unload the collection for one nice 5711, and start over again.
    BTW, I think the 5711 is a pretty sound investment as those go. If return on investment is part of your watch-buying plan, then you should swim in the Patek and Rolex pools only...

GuiltyBoomerang, MikiJ and ikeo1 like this.
  4. lillatroll Apr 27, 2015

If it was my dream watch and it was the only way I could fund it then I would go for it. Posssible investment gain or loss would be the last of my considerations, it would not be a factor, the only consideration is how much do you want the patak and how you can get your hands on one.

5. calalum Apr 27, 2015

Most people who have a collection of watches, and who alternate them regularly, do so because they like having the variety and flexibility of multiple pieces. Winnowing the collection down to one is a very different direction. Only you can know if having one nicer watch will satisfy you as much as having several nice pieces. And if you buy the PP new, I would not expect that it will appreciate in value. JMHO.

6. Alex_TA Apr 27, 2015

Yeah it's a perfect invesment but why you need to sell? I could understand if you were strained financially but then you wouldn't think of Patek in the first place.
    What will you do when you'll go camping or make barbeque, wear Patek? ;)

I think every watch lover needs 3 at least : casual, business and dressy. Buy Patek but leave your nice collection... or part of it.

7. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 27, 2015

I was fortunate enough to wear a Patek Nautilus as my everyday beater for over two decades. It was the older two-tone 3800 series and it was a thrill to put it on my wrist everyday. Although I owned a few other really nice timepieces, I almost never took it off my wrist.

If i could own one of the newer 5711 series, especially all SS, I would never take it off :)

Time Exposure likes this.
  8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 27, 2015

Greetings Alex_TA. I'm not the OP, but I read your response as if I were, and wanted to share my response.
    I noted I have been collecting watches for 30 years. It's truly a passion! But I probably don't fit the Patek demographic. While I am fortunate to live the lifestyle I do, I do not consider my watch a reflection of that stature as some might. Rather, I simply admire greatly the Patek Philippe timepiece for the "art" that it is.
    I wear my Patek to the beach, to Disneyland theme park, making barbecue (particularly since it is handy to have a wrist-mounted timer for food cooking times!). I'm not a camping enthusiast but I'd probably wear it there too.
    I agree it's nice to have, at minimum, a few watches for different occasions. But I also think a Patek 5711 could be counted among a short list of watches that would be appropriate for dressy/business/casual.
    If you're going to get one watch, a 5711 is a great choice. And if by chance the OP is someone, like myself, who funds the hobby only after life's necessities and niceties are met, selling off "lesser" watches is a wise way to proceed!

Alex_TA likes this.
  9. ikeo1 Apr 27, 2015

its just a thought... I'd still probably have another watch like an aluminum apple watch in the collection, but the patek would be the "nice" watch... ;)