Forums Latest Members

Considering this Tudor Date+Day, thoughts on correctness?

1. ossfm Sep 15, 2016

I'm considering this Tudor Date+Day. I've looked at a lot of Tudor Prince Dates in the past month or two. I tried on a Datejust to see how it looked and I thought it looked good on wrist. It was heavier than I expected, I guess due to the gold bezel. I'm a sucker for the straight lugs and fluted bezel. I've not handled a Tudor Prince Date at all, only the Datejust I tried on in Atlanta some weeks ago.

I'd like to get the opinions of the more knowledgeable members here, please. It's not on auction so this isn't a gotta-do-it-now kind of post. I don't know the reference or serial number yet; I've asked for them. The seller claims a manufacture date of 1990. I think that could be right.

I'm basing all of the below only on pictures of watches I've seen on the internet. If I'm wrong anywhere, please let me know so I can learn. There is no in-depth information on the Oyster Prince Dates that I can find (I guess Desmond is still working on the Constellation blog and hasn't started on Tudors yet :) ). I was suggested to buy a book called the "Tudor Anthology" but I haven't gotten it yet. The local bookstore didn't have it.

I think the watch looks to be in rather good shape. I've become a better judge (I think) of polish vs no polish. I believe this one has not been polished at all. The brushed lug tops and polished case sides are correct. The case lines are sharp, as are the flutes on the bezel. The lugs appear symmetric. The subtle color contrast between the case and bezel appears to be correct based on other Rolex pictures I've seen, indicating that the bezel is white gold and not something else.

The dial appears to be original to me. The shape and position of the lume pips seem ok. The printing appears to be sharp and in the correct font. The printing looks centered as does the applied logo. The hands appear to be correct. There appears to be a little distortion on the cyclops but I think it is ok (maybe someone actually wore the watch :) ). The day wheel appears to be rather white, but given the condition of the rest of the watch I think it could be correct. Do you think the German vs English day has an impact on value? I speak German so it doesn't bother me and would actually be something unique to bond me and the watch.

I don't know for certain if the bracelet/endlinks are correct or not. The end links fit well. As far as I know, the Tudor-signed bracelets were available by the early 1980s or so. The brushed outer links and polished inner links appear to be correct. The Tudor-signed crowns didn't come until later, but I don't know when. I would consider them correct. Can links be removed from this style bracelet?

I have asked for a better picture of the back, the movement and the inside of the case back. I hope to get those tomorrow. Supposedly the watch returns from service then.

I look forward to your comments.

Screenshot from 2016-09-15 21:05:53.png

Screenshot from 2016-09-15 21:07:43.png

Screenshot from 2016-09-15 21:47:04.png

2. sky21 Sep 15, 2016

I'm not an expert on Tudors by any means, so I'll keep my comment to an area that I have personal experience in. These jubilee style bracelets are extremely comfortable, perhaps the most comfortable of all SS bracelets. Also, this "President" style of watch will be appropriate in almost any setting and probably never go out of style. Good luck with your search.

ossfm likes this.
  3. redpcar Sep 15, 2016

Don't pay any additional for the bracelet. My spidey sense tells me it is not authentic. I've had a few of these replicas in the past. Notice the length of the end links. Not a good fit. The lugs are a few mm longer. Something with the look, fit and finish looks off to me. May be difficult to tell with pictures but you will know immediately when it is in your hand.

Tudor bracelet (3).jpg

ossfm likes this.
  4. ossfm Sep 16, 2016

Ahh, I see what you mean. I had not noticed that. Thank you for pointing that out.

Do you know if links can be taken out of the bracelet? I can't tell from the pictures if there are friction pins or not. There are certainly no screws.

5. ossfm Sep 16, 2016

I agree with you. I've found that bracelets are just about the most comfortable option. They have to be adjustable though. I fear that the only adjustment on this one is in the micro-adjusts on the clasp. That wont be enough.

I've found that my wrist is odd shaped. I want much more length on the outside of the wrist as compared to the inside. I have 1 bracelet sized with 40mm on the inside and 70mm on the outside. I know, its strange.

I have 2 other watches with the straps on "backwards", meaning the buckle is on the 6 o'clock side rather than the 12 o'clock. It is a little weird to get used to but it feels so much better!

6. ossfm Sep 19, 2016

I got some new pictures from the seller. There is a case back, a reference number and another dial shot.

I wonder if you think the dial is correct? The "Date + Day" text seems condensed now that I look at some others. However, those others are linen dials. I wonder if the printing is different because of the linen texture.

Screenshot from 2016-09-19 23:17:15.png Screenshot from 2016-09-19 23:16:28.png
    Screenshot from 2016-09-19 23:18:50.png

Screenshot from 2016-09-19 23:15:54.png
  7. ossfm Oct 4, 2016

Here is a follow up to the earlier posts. Thanks for letting me talk this one out with you guys. I pulled the trigger and this one arrived on Friday. I like it a lot! The bottom of the lugs are so sharp I'm afraid I might cut myself.

I took it out for a drive to the pub with the convertible down on Saturday. The flutes on the bezel reflected the sunlight in a really cool way. I'll have post a picture of that.

It's true what they say about this design. It really is versatile. I had it on with shorts and a t-shirt and it felt just fine; not too dressy at all. I would have felt weird doing the same with the gold-cap Connie on the gator strap. Maybe I'll get over that.

I think I need to slow down now. That's 5 watches in 10 months. I know that's not a lot for some people, but it feels like a lot for me. It's time to enjoy them all for a while. Maybe find a strap or two.

Screenshot from 2016-10-04 21:25:40.png

8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 4, 2016

Nice outcome. Looks good on your wrist.

What came of the bracelet? Any concerns?

9. ossfm Oct 4, 2016

I assume you are referring to the comment from redpcar. I looked at a lot of bracelet pictures after reading that comment. I thought he was on to something. In the end, I became convinced that the majority if not all of them look like this one. The first link on the bracelet started inside the lug. I found some actual Rolex on actual Jubilee bracelets where the first link started outside the lug. I think this is a feature of the Tudor.

I paid more than I originally expected when I started looking seriously, but not much. It came from a dealer in London, so the price was a little higher to pay for their overhead. Brexit definitely helped me though by devaluing the British Pound :). After looking at other sold examples on TRF, VRF and ebay, I made an offer that was certainly less than asking price. They came down some and pretty much split the difference. After watching American Pickers, I think splitting is kind of how it goes.

The biggest thing I think I learned is that the ones for half price from Hong Kong may not be the real deal. The 1601 Rolex examples showed that the fluted bezel should have a small color contrast from the SS case. I don't think the half price ones have that. The case and bezel are the same color. Maybe more research would show that contrast is not strictly needed. Maybe it was differing lighting conditions. In any case, I feel this one is authentic.

I wonder if the guys at work could fit it in the SEM. That would be fun to see the chemical signature of the white gold bezel... :)

I plan to write up everything I think I learned and post it, probably on TRF and maybe in the Rolex section here. That would be good for 2 reasons. 1) There is a shortage of info out there and 2) I'll forget what I learned otherwise.