Forums Latest Members
  1. steversaurus Jan 17, 2016

I'm thinking of picking up this Constellation. Unfortunately the seller will only supply these subpar photos. He's willing to meet at a reputable watchmaker, but I would like the forums opinion before I waste more time. It appears to be a 504 cal roughly 1958. The crown looks to be later (possibly from servicing)? I think the bracelet is not solid gold. The rest looks legit? Thanks guys.
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 17, 2016

This watch should have a cal. 505, not a 504. The 504 has a calendar feature, which this watch clearly doesn't have.

Crown is incorrect, but shouldn't be a problem finding a modern replacement.

Band looks to be a gold-plated beads of rice, probably not original to this watch, but has some value on its own.

Pictures are poor, so I can't say more about the dial.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

arkstfan likes this.
  3. Willem023 Jan 18, 2016

Simple case.
    If the owner wants to have a certain amount of money for it (say, more than a few hundred, which might be the case in this instance), then he is also able to have clear and clean-cut pics.
    If not, stay away.
    The hour-hand conveniently over the lettering?
    And agree with Gator: should not have 504.

Pass.

4. harrymai86 Jan 18, 2016

Cal 504 should say "Calendar" on the dial like for ref 2943.

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 18, 2016

And looks like the dial has been cleaned in the past - a very key point for the deluxe models.

6. ConElPueblo Jan 18, 2016

Why do you reckon this? Is it the sligthly different tone of the dial around the star, which looks a bit off to me - but that may be an issue with the lacquer?

IMO, the dial litterature (what can be discerned of it) doesn't look off. It seems to have the right format and the font isn't obviously thickly applied.

Some people, most notably senior citizens, simply do not have the technical skills or inclination to buy good camera gear. That the pictures are bad is in no way a clear indication that there are issues with the watch - many of the best deals are done with watches that has been poorly represented... Also, that he's willing to meet at a watchmaker tells me that he has confidence in his product.

7. Willem023 Jan 18, 2016

Words are twisted or misunderstood: I merely stated that this for me would be a no-goer.
    BTW: my parents of 85 are able to wield a fine picture, be it with their camera, or with the smartphone (I bought them ::bleh::)

ConElPueblo likes this.
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 18, 2016

You would think that someone trying to sell a $3,000 to $4,000 item would want to give the buyer as much information as possible to make an informed decision.

Unless there is a reason not to.
    gatorcpa

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2016

Well if the buyer and seller meet in person at that point the photos no longer matter. The sell can inspect thoroughly. The buyer himself may be the source of the 504 conjecture. However it is impossible for any of us to accurately assess or price the piece with the information we have here.

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 18, 2016

Yes the sheen of the dial looks wrong to me as does the residual gunk around the star and the arrowhead markers. Here is one I have in YG and I think this might help things a bit:

[​IMG]

Tubber and Hijak like this.
  11. ConElPueblo Jan 18, 2016

Mission "Get MSNWatch to post more pictures" succeeded! :D

Willem023 and Hijak like this.
  12. Hijak Jan 18, 2016

It's always a pleasure to see one of your beautiful watches Mike!::love::

13. steversaurus Jan 18, 2016

The 504 conjecture was partially my fault as I should know better, having own a 505 (albiet a gold capped one). He actually told me it was a watchmaker opened it up and he recalls 504 or 507 being mentioned, which can't be the case. I do think the seller is older possibly with poor english. I still can't decide whether or not to pursue it.

14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 18, 2016

It is not a pristine Deluxe, however if you're looking at case and case back condition, it could be an average to decent specimen.
    The dial might be cleaned, or could be from lacquer oxidation, but looks not bad to me. As long as you buy it for wearing,and not for selling again, it could be a potential buy.
    Then it would go down to the last factor: price. If you could get it say at 20-25% below market, I would say go for it (after checking it directly of course)

Edited Jan 18, 2016