Forums Latest Members
  1. osnyder Apr 9, 2016

Hello experts! So, I'm looking for a 34mm Omega automatic, to wear daily, and become part of my life. I found one online from a random estate person selling on etsy, and just don't know enough about watches to feel confident in any way. So, I'd love your feedback. They're selling it for $1090. Recently serviced, running well, all original including the crystal. I can return it if not happy. There's an engraving on the back, which I suppose in theory reduces value, but I don't mind it at all, find it rather charming. Also-- it's stainless, and said to have a white gold bezel.

The pics are screen-shotted, so forgive the quality.

image.png image.png image.png image.png
  2. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Apr 9, 2016

imho thats no $1.xxx dollar watch ... especially with the inscription ... 600 maybe ...

also stay away (broad brush painter coming in) from 1970ies watches ... those were watches made in crisis time. The one you show is 0k with the 751 movement, but the next gen of movements were way lower quality (easily detectable to the eye)

poke around at www.watchuseek.com - good luck

osnyder likes this.
  3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 9, 2016

You can find an example without the engraving, for less. Also, unless I'm color blind, the bezel is yellow gold.
    I'm not vouching for this watch but it's an example of a C-case constellation, with a more desirable movement and brick bracelet, for half of what you're looking at. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Const...755584?hash=item25b99b5840:g:jiIAAOSwS7hXAc~5Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Edited Apr 9, 2016
    osnyder likes this.
  4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 9, 2016

I bought a very similar watch, in similar condition (no bracelet though, just a leather generic band), serviced by a reputable watchmaker with a year warranty, less than 6 months ago for $600 US shipped.
    SS Omega Connie_112015 579.jpg

osnyder likes this.
  5. osnyder Apr 9, 2016

Yo, this is why I came here, this is brilliant!! Thanks so much.

I don't LOVE the brick bracelet however. Is it more desirable / more original?

6. Willem023 Apr 9, 2016

Sorry to disagree completely with this loosely stated opinion -including the broad brush painter. The 7.XX calibres were amongst the best (as in "best" !!) ever produced Omega in-house automatic movements, alongside with the 3.XX and 5.XX movements. Although the 70's hit hard on the whole of the Swiss watch industry, this is too short a curve to warn anyone for 'a 70's watch because off...'. Please do read up on the importance of the cal's stated above. for example at
    http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.co.ke/

I myself think this is a nice 168,029 with pencil hands and a very decent 751 inside. Might need a service -to be sure, but then again, which watch does not, and wear it with pleasure.
    I do agree however that the price might well be in the USD 700-900 range, esp. when a service has been delivered.
    The 'knurled' bezel is of 14K white gold, whereas the rest of the case is of SS.

The serial number defines it to be made around 1968-69 (ChronoMaddox) and the cal looks nice and fresh to my eye.

Unsure if the bracelet is original: think not; these were originally with leather bracelets.

My 2 cnts

W

Edited Apr 9, 2016
    TNTwatch, OMGRLX and osnyder like this.
  7. osnyder Apr 9, 2016

Is the bracelet authentic & similarly contemporary? Trying to educate myself-- I can see this example seems overpriced, but I do love it.

8. Willem023 Apr 9, 2016

Do not think the bezel is YG: sometimes in artificial light, the 14K as opposed to the SS, lights up rather yellow in comparison with the blue-ish SS.
    Next to that. Omega did not produce SS cases with YG bezels within the C-case range as far as I know

My 2-cnts
    W

osnyder likes this.
  9. Willem023 Apr 9, 2016

I have too little knowledge on bracelets to make some point on that. Only know that the 168.029 should have a factory non-metal bracelet, meaning that your's is not factory original. But if you like it, wear it (and know that the bracelet will eat into the watch' case)

osnyder likes this.