Forums Latest Members
  1. markinstroud May 20, 2024

Hello! I’m Mark from Stroud, Glos, UK. I’m looking at buying my first Omega and although I’ve done my homework, I still have some doubts over a Cosmic I’m watching / seriously considering. I’ve scoured this forum (which is excellent!) and others and I’m feeling more clued up than I was previously. Nonetheless, some expert thoughts would be most welcome please.

the watch I’m considering is a no day/date, which would be my preference (I like the unclutered, understated look). As a fan of mid-century modern, the Cosmic really appeals to me.

My questions then: firstly, fearful of buying a redial, do you think this is original? I can’t help but think the E in OMEGA looks to be a different size. But perhaps I’ve stared at it for too long.
    Secondly, the serial number in pic 2. This is definitely inconsistent in terms of size. Do you think this is cause for concern?

Many thanks and have a great week

Mark

IMG_0508.png IMG_0509.png
  2. hansaboy May 20, 2024

3. markinstroud May 20, 2024

Thank you! Yes I have, lots of useful info and plenty of photos that show the wide variety of the same model- which makes it harder to compare and contrast. I think the one I’m watching is decent, but as a complete newcomer I just want to be certain I’m. It buying a duffer.
    All best

Mark

4. Nupero May 20, 2024

Welcome to OF.

Photo is quite blurry, but I'm pretty sure this is an original dial. Good looking watch, I really like no-date Cosmics :thumbsup: Movement serial number looks normal.

5. markinstroud May 20, 2024

Brilliant, thank you for the reply and the welcome!

6. markinstroud May 21, 2024

I bought it! Yikes! I’ll post photos in due course. Very, very excited.

7. Spruce Sunburst dial fan May 21, 2024

I’ll be interested to see good photos, including wristies, and hear what you think of it.

I've fancied one, particularly since I’m a fan of the 5** movements.

markinstroud likes this.
  8. markinstroud May 22, 2024

It arrived- and I’m absolutely delighted with it. I had a feeling it would be better than the photos and yep, it really is. It’s a thing of beauty. It’s understated, refined, classy. I intend to have it serviced (photos of watch on timegrapher are good, but of course unclear when they were taken) and use it pretty much as a daily. Brand new leather strap, so that’s fine- for now. £500 for a flipping Omega- I’d consider that a bit of a bargain. Oh- actually- if anybody in the UK can recommend somebody to service it, that’d be most appreciated.

All best

Mark

IMG_0515.jpeg IMG_0511.jpeg
    DaveK, wagudc, hen and 3 others like this.
  9. hansaboy May 22, 2024

Congrats!
    And happy that you are happy!
    :D

Do you have some pictures of the caseback also?

10. ObrWatches May 22, 2024

Congrats to your purchase.
    Looks like a good one!

markinstroud likes this.
  11. markinstroud May 23, 2024

Thank you! Photos on this forum for some reason come out really poor, and the case back looks far shinier than it actually is- but anyway, here it is:

IMG_0517.jpeg
    Spruce likes this.
  12. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m May 23, 2024

Welcome, nice watch.

For a service, you are perfectly positioned to drop in and see https://watchguy.co.uk/ Christian is a neighbour of yours! I live in north Wiltshire and like to pop in and see him when I get my watches serviced.

I hear good things about Mitka too. https://mitka.co.uk/mitka-watch-shop-terms-and-conditions/

markinstroud likes this.
  13. hansaboy May 23, 2024

Nice sharp edges!

And Hi from your Swedish cousin!
    :)

IMG_42121 (kopia).jpeg

markinstroud likes this.
  14. Nupero May 23, 2024

Congrats, that's a sharp watch :) Here's my Cosmic with a somewhat similar dial. Never liked the date on my watch though. Your dial looks so better balanced, no-date models are killer.

cosmicsnow.jpg

hansaboy, Spruce and markinstroud like this.
  15. markinstroud May 23, 2024

16. markinstroud May 23, 2024

Oh great! Thank you for the recommendation- I’ll follow up on that. Really pleased to be in the Cosmic Club!

p4ul and Nupero like this.
  17. markinstroud May 23, 2024

That’s still a pretty watch for sure. Yeah I’m personally not bothered by date windows, I prefer the cleaner, more balanced look of no dates. I never rely on the date window in any case, so no point it being there.

18. Pvt-Public May 24, 2024

Since retiring I need both day and date. Otherwise it’s always Saturday, in my mind.::bleh::
    IMG_1854.jpeg

19. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m May 24, 2024

Surely that is a GOOD thing?!!

My wife keeps telling me every day is a play day.;)

hansaboy, markinstroud and Spruce like this.
  20. markinstroud May 24, 2024

Lucky you!