Forums Latest Members

Considering buying this vintage Omega Genève watch - is it worth it?

1. Shrey Oct 5, 2015

2. devnull Oct 6, 2015

Hello!

People here love to help those who help themselves.

What have you found about this watch? Did you look up the reference to check and see if it looks like it? Did you google up for Omega serial number database to see what year the serial number points to? (On the movement picture you can see the first two digits of the serial, which puts it in the 17,xxx,xxx range). Did you verify that the movement number (503) is correct for this reference (2864 6 sc)?

If you do that and post "I verified that the serial, reference, and movement all look legit, could somebody pretty please give me a sanity check?" I'm sure folks will jump at the chance to show off their knowledge.

Also while discussing prices is not frowned upon here, in this case you don't have to mention it; people will see it while looking at the watch and if they respond, they won't be able to help but comment on it.

Shrey likes this.
  3. Shrey Oct 6, 2015

Hi there, thanks a lot for your comment (yay, the first!) - am obviously new to watch forums in general and don't want to step on any toes, so sorry for that. But actually, yes, I did do some googling beforehand.

First, I tried to locate the watch on Omega's vintage watch site. The closest watch I found was this one:
    http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-...=15389&cHash=8f5ba84ee444b02d663c061756a1f5f2

After some more researching, I see that Omega did produce Genève watches in that period with that movement (503); but what I am a bit worried about is the dial. It somehow looks too good to be that old and to be untouched, and it doesn't say "Calendar" below "Genève" at the bottom (which is something I haven't seen on any Genève models in that time).

The serial number checks out with the declared manufacturing year (1959-1960) as well.

What I was not able to do is verify if the movement number corresponds to the reference. I honestly did not find any great source for this, but that's probably just me.

Anyway, I would really appreciate you guys' (and girls') help on this!

4. lillatroll Oct 6, 2015

Hello,
    Firstly I would like to say that I don't have much knowledge about these particular watches so mine is an uninformed opinion, but when looking for a watch I do the usual google search and as a rule of thumb I would expect lots of images of the watch to come up on google, perhaps not exactly the same but similar enough to check it out. Googling your watch only comes up with the watch you are looking for and one other that is similar but does not have geneve on the dial. This would make me suspicious, it's either a very rare watch or not the watch it is being presented as. It does look nice and shiney which would also make me a bit suspicious. Based on these factors I would give it a wide berth especially for they are price they are asking.

5. hugo Oct 6, 2015

IMO I think it too shiny to be old as it from 1960 / the line on GENEVE word seem to be fresh and new. may be you should make sure form the seller that its original without any rewritten. some sellers might say it's original but redial with professional.
    Good luck

6. devnull Oct 6, 2015

I am no expert but when you look at the larger download image, the cross hairs look a tad wavy? and the line does not come exactly down the middle of the Omega logo? Could somebody else please let me know if this is indeed a bad omen?

Shrey likes this.
  7. devnull Oct 6, 2015

I also just noticed that the patina on the numbered date does not match the patina on the whole dial.

8. devnull Oct 6, 2015

And that while I speak spanish not italian, that 'con indici, in rilievo, applicati a mano' sounds awfully like hand-applied tick marks.

9. Shrey Oct 6, 2015

Thank you, everyone. I agree that the dial must have been worked on, although the seller has assured multiple times that it is 100% original (apparently only the glass and the strap have been changed).

Now the question is what to make of this.

italy1861 likes this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 6, 2015

Mutton dressed up as Lamb.

Very expensive lamb.

TNTwatch likes this.
  11. Shrey Oct 6, 2015

With this information, would you:
    a) categorically stay away from this watch (and by extension, the seller)
    b) negotiate the price (which would require rather hard evidence that the dial isn't original)
    c) ask for more concrete information on the watch (what would you ask for)?

Also, I have found an archived site that discusses vintage Genève models, such as the one discussed here: http://web.archive.org/web/20031004183539/213.237.13.198/nik/geneve/
    It seems as though a model like this could very well exist at least.

What do you think? Thanks again for everyone's help!

12. lillatroll Oct 6, 2015

Hello,
    Well its your money and if you like the watch then you should buy it, however I think that it has been redialed,t now for some this is not a problem and they are happy to part with their money. If you cannot convince the seller to give you a considerable discount then I would pass, its not worth the asking price. My advice would be to go to the sales forum here and see what is available. You can pm any seller for more information, the members are, I believe, honest and the prices are fair. Members here are watch enthusiasts first and foremost, and if you want a second opinion I am sure no one would mind if you asked for other members opinion if you find something you are interested in.

Shrey likes this.
  13. PatrickJ Oct 6, 2015

Careful before pulling the trigger or the bullet may rebound and hit you. Take time, take time and then more time. I had purchased a watch had the dial verified by a watchmaker in person that it was original (member from this site), the case body non polished, photos of the movement serial number tallied up to be correct. The majority of members here thought the watch was ok. So I purchased the watch, thinking I got a good watch after doing my home work. But then months later it goes in for service, the dial foot on the back of the dial had been broken. The dial was stuck on to the movement with a sticky pad. The watch is usable but from a collectors view it is dog s@@t. I did my home work and got screwed. You may say I was unlucky but then a dealer who was meant to be well respected was selling Omegas with wrong hands on. Vintage is good but ambitious at the same time, so learn about a model you like for at least a year. Study dials, movements etc... Then after all that if you pull the trigger it is likely you may not get hurt, but it is always possible but less likely.

Edited Oct 6, 2015
  14. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 6, 2015

Case back seems to be incorrect.

Reference for the cal 503 Geneve should be 2982.

TNTwatch likes this.
  15. TNTwatch Oct 6, 2015

That link is for reference 2982, not the same as 2864 or 2888. If you search for 2864 or 2888, they would have different movements. This is therefore a franken watch. Although it could simply be just a wrong case back, the dial is too new compared to the date ring and the hands are too long. This indicates an assembly from parts: New replacement dial, wrong hands, along with the movement from some other watch assembled into this case.

Send the word Franken to the seller and ignore him.

Edited Oct 6, 2015
    Lou P and Shrey like this.
  16. PatrickJ Oct 6, 2015

Job done!

17. Shrey Oct 6, 2015

Amazing work guys, thank you!! Dodged a bullet there (in keeping with the whole gun theme). The search continues.

PatrickJ likes this.