Considering buying this first omega

Hi, I am considering buying the attached vintage Omega Constellation Pie Pan.

Please could people let me know their thoughts on value, condition and originality (outside of strap of course)?

I am conscious that the hands and hour markers appear to be of different colour and the dial is of very good condition that I assume it has been refinished. Please let me know how much this impacts value.

Would appreciate recommendations of any other omega constellation pie pans listed on the cheaper side, as well as general dos and donts when buying a connie.

Finally how often are services usually required and how much are they likely to cost (I am UK based)

Many thanks!

The case is in very poor condition, unfortunately. I would suggest you keep looking. And maybe read the how to fish thread.

The case is in very poor condition, unfortunately. I would suggest you keep looking. And maybe read the how to fish thread.

Thanks, Dan, that thread is very helpful and I will take a look. I think I could get the above for circa £800. I am looking to spend around £1000 give or take so appreciate it will not be the perfect specimen, just looking to start with something

I'm not saying you need to wait for a perfect specimen, but this is too far gone. Once you start looking around more, you won't be happy with it. I am struggling to see even three of the eight stars.

I agree with Dan. With patience and some additional knowledge. you can do a lot better than this example without spending a fortune.

Thanks both, looks like I will need to keep fishing. Hadn't properly considered the importance of case condition. Any other points of concern that you spotted on this one to keep an eye out for in the future, for my own learning?

If there was a list of "must haves" before considering buying a vintage connie like this (factoring in my budget) what would they be (number of stars etc)?

Thanks both, looks like I will need to keep fishing. Hadn't properly considered the importance of case condition. Any other points of concern that you spotted on this one to keep an eye out for in the future, for my own learning?

If there was a list of "must haves" before considering buying a vintage connie like this (factoring in my budget) what would they be (number of stars etc)?
Everything that you need and then some is right here:
https://omega-constellation-collect.../12/omega-constellation-vintage-database.html
Click on the banner at the top of the page and then click on view web version
Edited:

Since you have the reference number, 168.004, I'd suggest you examine twenty or so examples to see how this one compares.

Since you have the reference number, 168.004, I'd suggest you compare twenty or so examples to see how this one compares.

Good suggestion, TBH I am not wedded to a specific reference number. I get the sense that the 561 calibre is a safe pair of hands but I am flexible.

Good suggestion, TBH I am not wedded to a specific reference number. I get the sense that the 561 calibre is a safe pair of hands but I am flexible.

Same applies to any reference you might fancy.

...slow down and enjoy the hunt.

X350 XJR beat me to it, but I’ll repeat it. OP, you need to slow down and learn a lot more before you’ll be ready to make a purchase. Shopping for a vintage Constellation is diving into the deep end of the pool. There are two ways to approach this. First, you can go to a site like The Omega Enthusiast and choose a vintage Omega that has been vetted and serviced by the owner. You’ll get an authentic original vintage Omega watch in very good condition and you’ll overpay for it by a factor of 2 to 3 times. Alternatively, you can take your time and learn how to evaluate a prospective Connie purchase through self study and trial and error. You’re likely to make a few errors in judgment as well as financial mistakes along the way, but the skills you learn will be invaluable. It’s your choice.

The Omega Enthusiast and choose a vintage Omega that has been vetted and serviced by the owner.

Sorry, but you're giving them too much credit...

Thanks, Dan, that thread is very helpful and I will take a look. I think I could get the above for circa £800. I am looking to spend around £1000 give or take so appreciate it will not be the perfect specimen, just looking to start with something
You dont have to start with a poor example. Only education and research on your part will give you the tools to spot a good vs poor example. Do the work and you will be rewarded.