Forums Latest Members
  1. pawnshady Feb 21, 2015

Hello experts! I'm lucky to have been able to return my frankenwatch to the shop after much fighting the owner on how he misrepresented it. Now I am taking my time and doing my research before purchase!

Found this one in a highly regarded local shop. Asking price is $1100. More than I would ideally be paying to get my feet wet, but as you can see the dial is a bit different and the movement looks pristine.

Era is late 1940's.
    Serial number = 10,979,001
    Vintage Omega Database puts the cal as what I understand is a classic: 30 SC T2

Worth a serious consideration? Thanks!

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Edited Feb 21, 2015
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 21, 2015

Watch looks all original. I wouldn't call it pristine. It's just a nice 1940's Omega, well used and well loved.

The price is about three times what I think it is worth in that condition.
    gatorcpa

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 21, 2015

Yes, way over priced.

4. pawnshady Feb 21, 2015

Wow, 3x overpriced! Is this relative to what it would fetch on eBay? As a brick and mortar they probably couldn't compete with that but I wonder do places ever come down? $500 for their stamp of approval might be ok for me.

EDIT: I guess I don't know what a pristine movement looks like. Compared to my last attempt at a purchase this looks much better to me. What flaws do you all see?

Edited Feb 21, 2015
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 21, 2015

Yes, I'm basing it on what I would lay on eBay.

Most smaller stores are open to negotiation but you've got a big gap.

Not that there are any specific flaws, but to me "pristine" means new, old stock. As in never been used. If this were a pristine piece, $1,100 would not be a ridiculous price.

Clearly that is not the case with this watch.
    gatorcpa

6. pawnshady Feb 23, 2015

Thanks for the help everyone. The learning process continues! And this time I saved myself some time and money.