Forums Latest Members
  1. cristos71 Mar 30, 2013

I've just joined up here and have a couple of old Longines in my collection, this being one of them. It's a nice heavy 18kt cased Conquest, which we've all seen before, but what is interesting is the dial. it is just like a mirror, from the photos it is possible to see the reflection of the hands in the dial.

I know that there are some vintage Longines collectors here, what are your opinions of this one?

It was very difficult to take a picture showing the mirror effect, here it looks almost like steel

[​IMG]

Here you can see some of the reflective qualities, there was no flash used here, it is reflection.

062.JPG

and here the case back with inscription.

[​IMG]

Chris

2. ticktock Mar 31, 2013

I've just joined here too, though you helped me out regarding my Seamaster on another forum.

Looking at your photo's I wonder if that mirror effect is due to the wear on the dial, and that it's the base plate of the dial that is exposed in places, reflecting the light. Difficult to tell from your pics but it certainly makes for an interesting effect. I have a similar conquest (though in steel) but as far as I'm aware it was the only dial type made for this watch besides the calendar with the date window..

[​IMG]

Lovely watch though and nice pics!

LouS likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Mar 31, 2013

The dial on the OP's watch was cleaned - notice the lack of SWISS MADE or SWISS at the bottom. I believe the person who cleaned it was too aggressive on the outside edge since that's where a lot of gunk accrues, and when they realized they removed some of the white finish they removed all the outside paint so it matched the ring that's normally the stainless that goes under the indices (like with ticktock's watch). Further evidence is the lack of any trace of lume on the OP's dial.

4. cristos71 Mar 31, 2013

Yes, this for me has always been a sneaking suspicion but I was hopeful that there was more to it than that. I'd never realised the small oblongs on the dial would have originally had lume in them but seeing Ticktock's makes that very clear.

Looks like one for the chopping block unless I can get hold of an original dial, but I don't think that will be so easy.

Hi Ticktock nice to see you, have you managed to get the Lizard?

Chris

5. ulackfocus Mar 31, 2013

ticktock - that's a pretty nice specimen you have. :thumbsup: How's the fish medallion on the back - still lots of green enamel on it?

6. ticktock Mar 31, 2013

Thank you. Yes, I picked it up recently, I wasn't in the market for one as such but thought it was too good to pass up. The enamel is in pretty decent shape, here's a quick photo for you..

[​IMG]

Thanks Chris, yes I ordered a dark brown Hirsch lizard which hasn't arrived yet due to it being Easter weekend. I'll be sure to share some photo's once it does!

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 31, 2013

That's sharp, that is.