Forums Latest Members

Conquest ref 9021-9025 questions / opinions on a watch.

1. Euxinus Jun 13, 2016

Hello all. Every time I come across a conquest ref 9021 or 9025 I fall in love and I can't get over the beauty of the watch. I have finally given in and I have decided I'm going to pursue this watch ( not the one I post per se).

I was wondering what you guys consider a reasonable price range for a good example of the time piece in question?

Also opinions on this ( I know it's dangerous to post an auction if you might actually try to win it ). From what I can tell the dial looks original and not a redial, and the hands as well but I can't really tell on the crown. Opinions on the dial / case conditions?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/LONGINES-CONQ...L-290-MENS-100-SWISS-/262474043492?nav=SEARCHPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks in advance, Euxinus.

2. ulackfocus Jun 13, 2016

That particular watch is one I'd pass on for a few reasons. First, the medallion is missing all the black enamel in the lettering and some of the blue enamel. There are too many perfect examples out there to settle. Second, the rotor's lettering is wearing off. Lastly, I'm not sure that is a correct / original crown for that model. It looks like the ones used on Admirals, Grand Prizes, and some Flagship models, plus the shade of gold is slightly different. The positive is that the dial is very nice and it's an otherwise honest watch.

I don't know if I should comment on price because I'm working off the 2011 list in my head, but for that kind of money I'd want a better example.

3. Euxinus Jun 13, 2016

Thank you very much for the opinion, I to thought the crown was incorrect, I was not considering this watch to seriously for the same reasons you mentioned, but as far as pricing goes on these I am unfamiliar, I think I saw a good example go for 2200 ish last year on the forums but I'm not sure. Ideally I would like to purchase of forums and not the bay!

4. ulackfocus Jun 13, 2016

You'd have to pry one from some member's cold dead hands most likely. It's not often that you'll see somebody here offering up a pristine one for sale.

...... there was this one fool last year though...... ain't that right, @Hijak? :p

Hijak, JohnSteed, aap and 4 others like this.
  5. dodo44 Jun 13, 2016

The case edges are also rounded from polishing. I would pass on this one and wait for a better example.

Euxinus likes this.
  6. Hijak Jun 14, 2016

Sure was!;)
    Wrist Shot, 03.JPG
    He foolishly sold me a few watches last year.:whistling:

7. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jun 20, 2016

Fantastic model.

image.jpeg

Risto, yako54, Hijak and 7 others like this.
  8. gostang9 Jun 20, 2016

That is an incredible capture! Looks like liquid gold..

9. Euxinus Jun 20, 2016

Making me so jealous this is one of my grail watches, luckily it's on the more affordable end of the spectrum as far as most grains go!

Such a nice watch there are no words to describe it's beauty.

10. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jun 20, 2016

We do have a few here on the Forum.

Mine:

Photo Dec 16, 10 25 12 AM.jpg Photo Dec 16, 2 13 40 PM.jpg

Edited Jun 20, 2016
  11. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jul 22, 2016

For the gold diggers amongst us (like me) who wondered how luxurious a Deluxe dial exactly is:

image.png image.png image.png

Euxinus likes this.
  12. Euxinus Jul 22, 2016

The mass indicated on the scale could be incorrect since it appears to be on grass. A hard surface is required for a proper measurment. Since the surface is compressible, it would cause to mass to be indicated lower by the scale than it actually is, although on such a small mass the error is probably small.

13. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jul 22, 2016

Hmmm well spotted.

This theory might explain why I tend to prefer to weigh myself with the scale on a thick fluffy bathmat...

14. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 22, 2016

I think the 'feet' on Bart's scale are contained within the mechanism, so the only stipulation would be that the scale be laying on a flat surface. With a bathroom scale (@BartH 's other one ;)), the 'feet' or base is external, and reliant on a non-compressible surface, like you mentioned..

On the other hand, if the scale were laying on a bed of diamonds instead of just grass...:eek:

15. Euxinus Jul 22, 2016

I stipulate that with even that point you made about the feet being internal, some of the gravitational force generated by the mass of the dial would go to compressing the grass under the hard plastic base instead of pushing the metal scale down on the feet. Though the effect would be smaller since the base of the plastic is larger then just 4 feet, there by resulting in less pressure applied to the grass, resulting in less compression.

Interesting point though, love to analysis physical / thermal systems ( this one not being thermal , just thought I would mention ).

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 22, 2016

Even though the grass is being compressed while the object is placed on the scale, once motion ceases and the scale and the object are static, the correct reading will be displayed as the combined mass of the objects can only compress the grass to a point where it will compress no further, unless more mass is applied.

dougiedude likes this.
  17. Euxinus Jul 22, 2016

I still have to disagree since a constant amount of force is required to keep the grass compressed at the steady state position of the system. Since I have two people disagreeing with me il conduct some experiments but I won't be able to do so for a couple days as I'm in a road trip and not at home.

Edit: although this thread is super of topic at the moment if anyone has anything to chime in about the original topic please do as these watches are just breathtaking!

18. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jul 22, 2016

::popcorn::......:thumbsup:

Probably deserves it's own separate thread, if not a brand new Category (Applied Newtonian Physics: Jewelers scales vs. Bathroom scales :eek:)...

Edited Jul 22, 2016
    STANDY likes this.
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 22, 2016

20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 22, 2016

Had to fix your suggestion. Electronic/Digital scales use load cells which are absolutely unaffected by carpet or grass.

dougiedude likes this.