Forums Latest Members
  1. asiatic44 Jun 29, 2016

My first post here: I have my father's watch which is a constellation from way back.. not sure when and I doubt I can find papers.. (currently at Central Watch Repair in NYC for estimates).

It still runs, but they mentioned it needs a complete overhaul, new crystal new crown, new mainspring, replace movement parts, complete disassembly of all parts of the movement.

I figure this watch hasnt been serviced but if the watch is currently working, is all of this stuff entirely necessary?
    I realize I should have sent this to an authorized dealer first, I have yet to commit on the servicing, but a few questions:

Does anyone have experience with Central Watch Repair in nyc?
    Is all of this really necessary and is $700 a decent price for this?

2. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Jun 29, 2016

Pictures, we need pictures. The more, the better. Ideally, dial, crown, caseback in and out, and movement. :)

chronos likes this.
  3. asiatic44 Jun 29, 2016

I reached out to the company (central watch) that just gave me an estimate asking if it is ok for me to pick it up - i plan on shopping for the repair, its with them right now... poor amateur moves, I'm aware.

Thanks for the quick response

4. novina Jun 29, 2016

Crown and crystal replacement is most likely to keep out water. Seals wear around these. Proper caliber service is a full disassembly and cleaning/oiling. Movement parts if worn should be replaced as needed. I'm sure someone from NYC will chime in shortly. Do a quick search of the sight. I believe they were once recommended here a while back but not entirely sure.

5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 29, 2016

Your watch wil require servicing if you intend to wear it
    Imagine running your car without any oil - it will go but be doing untold damage
    Service costs depends on what it needs
    Standard full service (disassembly) with mainspring around $300
    Crystal $50
    Crown $50 (?)
    If it needs any major parts like a reverser wheel - could add another $200
    (Did they specify? - if not you need to ask)

The serial number on the movement will tell you roughly the age of the watch

Hope that helps
    Best of luck

And as noted above - we need pictures!

6. asiatic44 Jun 29, 2016

Here we go, let me know if there are better angles to take and your thoughts, thanks in advance!

20160629_151220.jpg 20160629_151244.jpg 20160629_151253.jpg 20160629_151336.jpg 20160629_151348.jpg 20160629_151352.jpg
    Vicke, GregH and ConElPueblo like this.
  7. ConElPueblo Jun 29, 2016

That doesn't look half bad :thumbsup:

It looks like a Constellation ref. 168.005, I have one (for sale) that's pretty similar. The crown on your is the original type, be advised that it's out of stock and the replacement looks different. I bet your father's watch will come out of this looking absolutely great - the case isn't that overpolished and the dial looks GREAT!

I'm sure that others here will give you advice on where to get your watch serviced (that quote sounds... expensive), just wanted to comment on the nice watch :)

asiatic44 and OMGRLX like this.
  8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 29, 2016

+1
    Congratulations
    Nice pie pan dial
    Looks correct to me too
    Minute indices look a bit irregular but I'm putting that down to distortion - might have been redone
    Probably mid to late 60's rather than 70's
    Gold cap - some wear to the gold on one of the lugs - and the crown
    Looks like original crystal (see the Omega symbol in the centre?)
    Polywatch might fix that
    Unusual beads of rice bracelet - not usually two tone like that
    If you pull the crown out does the date change?
    Or first try moving hands back past 9 and then advance past 12
    This will give a clue to the movement type

chronos likes this.
  9. ConElPueblo Jun 29, 2016

I think that the dial is fine and it's just distortion, like you say. The gold cap is worn, but the lighting in those pictures doesn't do the watch any favours - depending on the angle, it changes appearances drastically. Don't think it has worn through in any places.

10. asiatic44 Jun 29, 2016

9-12 date movement, what clues does that give? What other pics might be helpful? Yes the lighting in my office is pretty grim.

I see the omega symbol in the center, but its hard to tell if its coming from the crystal or if its on the dial...

Very thankful for the feedback you all have provided.

20160629_164933.jpg 20160629_164943.jpg
    Edited Jun 29, 2016
  11. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Jun 29, 2016

Scratches on the crystal, normal for the age. I think the dial and the rest I see on the pics looks very nice.
    As someone above said, regular service/overhaul may run you about $350 without any parts.

12. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jun 29, 2016

I'd just ask them to do a movement only service and NOT touch anything else...

It's not like you want to use it for diving. ..

NO swap for the crown
    NO swap for the plexi-glass.

OMGRLX likes this.
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 29, 2016

What exactly do they plan to replace? Some parts cost a couple of dollars and others cost hundreds, if they may be found at all. So there may be $700 of value there, or there may not be.

Omega factory service for this caliber on a bracelet will run at least $1,000, but an independent should be able to service the movement for less than half of the $700 quote, but you should add a new Omega crystal at around $50. I would also recommend a new crown (another $50), but make sure to save the original crystal and crown if you ever plan on selling. The plating has worn off on the original crown and it's hard enough to grip for winding as is.

You wouldn't want to run a vintage car on worn tires or brakes, even if you changed the oil. These parts were designed to be replaced at some point.
    gatorcpa

14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 29, 2016

The date change will point us towards a movement type
    561 or 564
    Helps place the era of the watch until you get the serial number
    Just additional info for you

The omega symbol is in the crystal

The only additional pics would be the inside case back and movement shots.

15. asiatic44 Jul 1, 2016

I took this to Kodak Jewelers in Hoboken for service. Maria (general manager) opened up during closing time for me. Understanding the sentimental value and just sharing that moment with me learning that this was my father's watch made me feel this was the right place to have it serviced.

I understand I might pay a bit more than what Central quoted me, but it just felt right to leave it in their hands. Will post again when they come back with a quote after the holiday weekend. Anyone ever deal with their watch in Hoboken or other AD's near central Jersey and can share thoughts?

chronos likes this.
  16. asiatic44 Aug 16, 2016

Does it make sense if Kodak (Jewelers) sent this back to Omega @Switzerland, for me to wait 4-6 weeks for a "Quote" on how much it is going to cost me for service?

Just wanted to weigh some thoughts from you all if this seems to be a disturbingly long time to obtain a quote. Should I be concerned?

17. West Slope Aug 16, 2016

You should be concerned they want to send it to Omega.....

18. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 17, 2016

Yes, avoid sending to Switzerland at all costs. Don't go to a jewellers but an independent watchmaker who knows his way around vintage. I ve seen many horror stories of perfectly good Constellations being badly manhandled by Omega's gung-ho approach to Vintage watches.

Take the advice given above in respect to having the least done to the watch to have it functioning well. Keep the crown if it is replaced.