Forums Latest Members

Condition Condition Condition And Other Pieces Of Advice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lizzie May 31, 2014

i dont know how to find out any info on my vintage ladies omega watch i cant find it anywhere on the net

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 31, 2014

You take pictures and start a thread in the VIntage Omega forum to show everyone what you've got. Information, interspersed with wise-ass remarks, will follow.

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 31, 2014

Ahhh, the spice of life......... (the remarks not the information.....;))

4. SandyinAnaheim Jun 11, 2014

So, when you say not to polish, I take it you mean machine polish? Is there any harm in polishing at home with metal polish? I polish my Yachtmaster every two to three months and the grime and tarnish that come off the band are embarrassing! A little metal polish and the steam cleaner make my watch look pretty spiffy and not the least bit damaged or "thinner".

5. alvaropinto Jun 11, 2014

:):)
    I also do that to my watches specially to silver cased ones as they oxidaze pretty quickly. I don't see any harm on that.

6. ulackfocus Jun 11, 2014

There's a big difference between 'polishing' and 'cleaning'. Do take the gunk & grime off. Don't remove the crisp edges.

alvaropinto and malliotakis like this.
  7. alvaropinto Jun 12, 2014

Let me show you what one means by polishing and cleaning as explained by Dennis...

Revue-Sport-1.jpg 4243_6.jpg
    Zdzislaw and Samir like this.
  8. binkyboobosh Oct 14, 2014

Hmmmnnn......good idea...great idea! Let's all buy watches (eventually) that we are too scared to wear, that we can put away until they are worn and scratched by people after we are dead... Watches are to be worn and enjoyed, not hoarded away. Buy what you like, regardless if it has it's original tag.

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 14, 2014

Those who hoard most definitely also wear! Everyone I know who hoards gets to that point usually after many years of learning, loving and yes most definitely wearing these beauties.

t2g, JM251 and Privateday7 like this.
  10. JM251 Oct 14, 2014

Speaking of which, are we going to have the privilege of seeing you post in the WRUW thread? :D

cicindela and binkyboobosh like this.
  11. boat2dan Oct 16, 2014

Great advise and input, I'm a newb and have been very care full not to get caught in the emotional buy! Feedback and advise like this highly regarded! Good stuff!!!

12. alfanator Dec 6, 2014

I would add,buy the best you could afford.

13. 250scr Jan 5, 2015

Hi, do you ever buy a vintage speedmaster pre moon w/out seeing the movement? Most times people don't show the movement but everything esle seems ok? Thank you

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2015

A bad 321 movement can be a nightmare to fix and a serial number that doesn't fit with the age of the watch can significantly reduce the value of it so especially on a 321 I'd be wanting a squiz at that movement.

Benbradstock and Speedy Gonzales like this.
  15. 250scr Jan 5, 2015

Ok, then it's not worth the risk in your opinion even though the seller states that it has the correct movement? If you do get a picture of the movement how can you tell if the movement is bad by looking at pictures if you're not a watchmaker? Sorry, if you think it's a dumb question to ask. I just became a member of nawcc and i want to be able to go to shows and know what to look for. Thank you

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2015

There are No dumb questions here.

agoldfish and Jgb1234 like this.
  17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2015

I'd compare the serial to the age and subreference of the watch, make sure that matches. Then check some of the other features like the coupling yoke, which is symmetrical for early pre-pros and asymmetrical for later movements. Then as a non-watchmaker I just look for missing screws, missing or damaged components, obvious abuse like screwdriver gouges or wrecked screwheads and rust. I can't evaluate its condition the way a watchmaker could but if I can see several parts missing or damaged or rust over the steel components I can get a basic idea of whether its a nice clean movement or a junker.

18. 250scr Jan 5, 2015

That is good to know. I know certain forums, some members beat you up because they think you should be more knowledgeable before posting questions. Thank you

19. 250scr Jan 5, 2015

Ok, that sounds reasonable. Do you just look at a 321 movement picture then study it and try to remember what it should look like then?

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2015

Take this one for example, someone paid a lot but there are several missing parts and the movement looks in generally crummy condition

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-O...449408387?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item20ef0aaf83Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Compare those pics to this shot of a clean 321 and you'll quickly start spotting the difference

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.