Forums Latest Members
  1. AJDay Mar 1, 2013

It would probably be smart from a personal finance perspective to not ask this question, but I am trying to sort out information on the different versions of the vintage Speedmasters, and keep getting confused about what features to look for in what models (hands, bezel, even caliber).

Is there a good comprehensive source of information?

I think once I sell my motorcycle I could convince my wife that this sort of thing is a good investment...

2. ulackfocus Mar 1, 2013

It's a safe investment. Nobody ever crashed their watch and ended up in a wheelchair. Trust me, that's the angle to start with.

NT931 likes this.
  3. speedbird Mar 1, 2013

With a motorcycle, you're only one pothole away from death

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 1, 2013

Still a motorcycle is safer in a crash than most Chinese cars :rolleyes:

5. AJDay Mar 1, 2013

Welp, this thread derailed quickly...

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 1, 2013

7. AJDay Mar 1, 2013

Thanks!

8. speedbird Mar 2, 2013

I use the old Maddox site a lot. Always feel a bit of sadness since he really was the Speedmaster-master

9. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2013

I ride mine every day & have to say that assuming a rider is as incompetent as most car drivers is a dangerous assumption to start with :p

Getting back on track, the easy part to explain to the wife is that the bike will certainly depreciate a lot quicker than a cal 321 & depending on your buying skill you might even make a reasonable profit. But don't start expecting you're going to be streets ahead of inflation over a short investment horizon. The tables in the back of AJTT are very good ( more developed versions of the Maddox ones), but why not start putting your own checklist together if you're going to start buying seriously ?

10. richardew Mar 2, 2013

I'm a collector, not an investor. I try to get the best deal on what I buy, but still, I'm buying retail. When I acquire a vintage piece I get it serviced. Again at retail prices. The bits and pieces I need for a watch I also buy at retail. I think that my vintage pieces will hold their value and if I sell them, maybe make a little, maybe lose a little. Watch dealers make money buying and selling watches. They get them wholesale, as well as parts and service which they also get wholesale.
    As far as printed resources go, I have two great books. 1. Omega:A Journey through Time. It has a lot of speedmaster info as well as chapters devoted to all other Omegas. 2. The Master of Omega by Isnardi Alberto. Book number 2 has more speedmaster info including photos of just about every speedmaster that's been made. Great sections about the evolution of the bezel, the dial, crown and pushers, etc. You can get a copy on ebay.

SpikiSpikester likes this.