Forums Latest Members
  1. Brennan Jun 4, 2016

Guys have a question maybe some of you would not mind enlightening me to exactly what complications are? I'm trying to sell my 007 edition Seamaster and a person asked me what the complications are. I'm a collector and have several OMEGAS but I'm not a geek about them. Thanks in advance!

2. watchthirst Jun 4, 2016

The person is either asking about the movement of the watch, or they could be asking if there is any issues with its functionality.

3. Brennan Jun 4, 2016

Thank you!

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 4, 2016

Umm... That's not how I use the word.

Complication are features in the movement.

Small seconds, chronograph, GMT, day/date, etc

So a speedy pro would have, chronograph and small running seconds.

5. micampe Jun 4, 2016

Funny, center seconds used to be the complication, because they needed more components to go from the fourth wheel to the center, but now center is the default so the small seconds seem more complicated :)

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 4, 2016

Center, or sweep seconds, is considered a complication, not small seconds. A complication can be anything from the common date, day-date, GMT, and chronographs, to the very complicated and more rare items like repeaters, sonneries, seconde morte, etc.

A tourbillon, although a complicated assembly to produce, is not usually considered a proper complication since it is not an actual extra function.

Cheers, Al

GregH and Foo2rama like this.
  7. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 6, 2016

Getting back to @Brennan's original question, and sticking to an horological definition of complication, my first question for @Brennan was going to be: Which watch reference is being discussed here?, as Omega has produced a surprisingly large number of James Bond Limited Edition watches since the first one (ref.2537.80) was introduced around the year 2002 (coincidentally, the same watch that Forum member @Horlogerie reported as having been stolen recently in the UK).

But with the exception of one watch -- the most recent James Bond Limited Edition (ref.233.32.41.21.01.001) which does not have a date display, the complication list for all the the watches would be this, would it not?

* Central seconds hand
    * Seconds hack
    * Date display

I hope this helps, @Brennan !

ADDENDUM:

Thinking a little more about it, I realize that my list of complications overly simplified. The James Bond Aqua Terra with Cal. 8500 would feature an hour-jump complication, and the 50th Anniversary LE with Cal. 2500 would have a quick date set complication.

I guess it would indeed be important to know precisely which Ref. No. that @Brennan has in mind.

meganfox17 likes this.