Forums Latest Members
  1. Newtonyul Aug 28, 2018

Hello all. First post in this forum. As the title says I am a complete newb to the watch game. Though I fear I've recently fallen down the rabbit hole after purchasing an SKX013. Anyways, I've inherited my grandfathers Omega Seamaster 600. As well my father gave me his Seamaster Cosmic. The 600 does work though I've only wound it a few turns just to check. The Cosmic was also working but the dial had rotated in the case so the crown was not engaging with the movement. I managed to rotate the dial back and engage the crown. Super pleased with myself! Did a little research and was able to find a little info on the Cosmic. Although it's very difficult to see the I.D. number on the back is 166026-TOOL107. Was less successful with the 600. Would really appreciate any info anyone might be able to pass on on what exactly I have here. I'm pretty sure neither strap is original. I'd like to get them serviced. Any thoughts on what I could expect to pay? I've figured out that neither are going to allow me to retire early but an idea of what if any value they have would also be appreciated. Thanks for any info you might provide.
    Cheers!
    IMG_2395.JPG IMG_2396.JPG IMG_2397.JPG IMG_2398.JPG IMG_2399.JPG IMG_2400.JPG IMG_2405.JPG IMG_2403.JPG IMG_2404.JPG

2. Vanallard Aug 29, 2018

Welcome to OF!

You can find some info about the Cosmic by doing a Google search of the reference number (166.026). The following is some info from the vintage Omega database for that particular model:

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-seamaster-cosmic-st-166-0026

You’ll need to remove the back of the SM 600 in order to date the watch (based on the serial number) and find out more info about the movement. It likely has a cal. 601 movement and my guess is that the reference number is either 135.001 or 135.012.

Both watches likely date back to the mid-60s.

Members will be able to provide watchmaker recommendations if you specify where you are located.

Newtonyul likes this.
  3. Newtonyul Aug 29, 2018

Thanks for the reply and the link. I live near Montreal. Guessing there's a decent watch guy there somewhere.

4. Draven Aug 29, 2018

Hi Newton,

Well come to the forum. The 600 is probably the more expensive model of the two and if you were to sell it would make 400-600 depending on its condition the Cosmic in that condition would only be 250-300 I'm afraid.

Two VERY different watches and worrying that you say the dial is moving in the Cosmic. The crystal in the Cosmic looks a little funny in the images and it may be that the wrong tension ring was put into it (but hard to tell from the image) The movement of the Cosmic is removed through the front and as such you would need to first remove the crown, then the crystal to access it. The crown has a two stem system and can easily break, the date is moved by pulling the crown out and pushing back in, but if the watch has not been serviced in many years, I would avoid doing it until properly serviced and lubricated, could cost you up to 100 for the crown and stem alone if broken.

The Cosmic is a great watch and much more of a modern style than the 600 but both nice watches. The Speidel bracelet is a replacement also and would look better on a nice leather, but that is a personal taste.

5. cantinker59 Aug 29, 2018

OTA on Sherbrooke W in Montreal is the watchmaker I use.

Newtonyul likes this.
  6. guaranteed.rohu Aug 29, 2018

Congrats! 2 very cool little pieces!

7. Co-axial Aug 29, 2018

Love the 600.

8. Newtonyul Aug 29, 2018

Thank you for the reply. Very much appreciated.

The dial on the Cosmic was rotated just slightly and the forked crown stem was just sort of held in place by the friction of the case. I did re-set it correctly and the time and date can be set with no problems. It stays securely in place too. Though there is a strange knock inside. The dial doesn't appear to be moving but your thoughts on an incorrect tension ring could be likely. I asked my father and he doesn't recall ever having it worked on but you never know.
    I've read enough over the past couple of weeks to know they should be serviced before being put into use again. The dollar values are fine as I don't intend to sell either but are enough to justify having them looked at further. As far as I know neither has ever been serviced though having replacement straps I can't say definitively.
    I agree that new straps are in order. A black NATO has been ordered for the Cosmic. The 19mm lug width limits colours and a nice leather would be a good idea too. The biggest problem I have is now I'm gonna have to get a new Omega of my own to complete the trio. Decisions....
    Will have to check into OTA. Thanks for the input. Will post some pics of the internals if possible.
    Cheers!