Forums Latest Members

Comments On This Photography In General Imho

1. cgilbert Feb 12, 2013

2. ulackfocus Feb 12, 2013

K, we use quite a few different cameras. If you're looking for simplicity, I have two suggestions. Nikon pocket cameras have surprisingly great macro capabilities for what looks like a tourist camera. I've owned an S600 for a few years and use it as my back-up. The best point & shoot in many forum member's opinions are the G series from Canon. I have a G9 that's fantastic. You can use it completely manual or totally automatic. The only weak point to the line is the onboard flash - which is never used in macro shots of watches because of reflection.

3. ulackfocus Feb 12, 2013

Well, get it back from her once in a while!

The G series has good image stabilization, but a tripod helps. Lots of indirect natural sunlight is the best source.

Couldn't tell you because once I bought mine I was done looking at p & s cameras. No need to bother anymore. I suppose a question to Nikon, or on a photography forum, would find you the answer.

4. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 12, 2013

Dash1 likes this.
  5. Wheels Feb 12, 2013

I started photography back in the film days and had a Pentax MZ50. Made the move to digital a bit late and went to Canon. I used a 20D for quite a few years before moving to a 5D. The 20D is still my backup camera. I also spent the money and invested in fast glass. All my lenses with the exception of one, sigma 50-500mm, are f2.8. Means I can push the boundaries a bit when it comes to low light shooting, especially with the high ISO performance of modern cameras.
    You can see more of my work at
    www.paulwheeler.com.au
    Copy anything you like for wallpapers etc, I don't mind.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 13, 2013

There's a surprising amount of point and shoot, or even iphone work around here, but probably because so many guys here care about the subject (their watches) you get quality out of it

7. Dash1 Feb 13, 2013

Thank you K for your kind words, although you are certainly not talking about any of my photos for sure! Photographing watches is particularly difficult I find (all those reflective surfaces) and although I have had good results with Panasonic/Leica lensed cameras in the past my current TZ8 isn't doing it. Particularly poor when using the zoom and the macro isn't brilliant either.

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 13, 2013

I like taking landscape pictures as a hobby - for that I use Nikon Digital SLRs. For taking watch pictures - simple set up - a "retired" Nikon D300 (previously a D200) fitted with a Tamron 180mm macro lens mounted on a tripod - shoot the watch head on placed on top of a white book cover (actually an older JLC watch catalog) with light coming from a side window. Shoot at different times of the day sometimes to get just the right lighting effect that I want but that's it.

9. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 13, 2013

Knew I saw window mullions in the watch crystal reflection. Ha
    Y`our pics do have a neat detailed starkness to them and
    the natural lighting enhances the vintage qualities

10. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 13, 2013

All I wanted was Great Macro and a cheap price. Something I could
    use on vacation also. Downloaded some great watch pics I
    saw on forums and looked at what they were being shot with.
    Nikon S8200 Coolpix hit the nail. That's what I use. In camera
    blow-up(even of macros) and crop and save
    RSCN0289.JPG

Dash1 likes this.
  11. Dash1 Feb 15, 2013

Many thanks for the tip. I have tried similar but I find being next to a window creates more reflections not less! I have had my best results (which are not great!) in a white tent/box in sunlight or using plain A4 paper as a light diffuser.

12. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 16, 2013

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 16, 2013

I know it's less important with a small prime lens but for almost $3k I want IS for stills!
    Still considering this one though and waiting for dpreview's extensive take on it. That zeiss lens alone maybe worth the price of admission.

14. Wheels Feb 16, 2013

Yeah, no IS, the inability to change lenses and the lack of a viewfinder kinda ruin it for me. Staying within the brand, NEX 6 looks to be a better bet. You can change lenses which means you have the full suite of Sony lenses to play with. Yeah, still no real viewfinder (its a small digital screen inside an eyecup) but I guess you need to head for DSLR territory to get one.

15. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 17, 2013

I'd take a high quality LCD over a viewfinder any day :)
    Emphasis on quality, though. If the colours and viewing angles are awful, clearly traditional would be the way to go.

The RX1 just looks like fun. Such a huge sensor for a camera that size.

16. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 17, 2013

Yes looks like a nice rangefinder. The absence of zoom doesn't bother me too much since to add one would compromise the size and you might as well have an dSLR - lenses used with a full size sensor will always be much bigger. And some of the advantage you gain from having a full size sensor are lost in the absence of IS in low light situations. It's all about compromises but at this price, you shouldn't have a shortcoming like this that can be solved without significantly increasing the camera's size.

17. Dash1 Feb 18, 2013

I know its not in the same league, but does anyone have any experience with the Nikon J1 with interchangeable lenses?

18. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 18, 2013

None personally but outside of their dSLRs, nikon has not made good products and the J1 has not gotten very good reviews. The Sony DSC-RX100 is the one to beat for this sort of camera.

19. Wheels Feb 18, 2013

Agreed. Anything that small and FF would be good fun. I'd just like to use the FF sensor with say a 70-200mm F2.8. Granted the camera would look ridiculous attached to it but you mount the lens to a tripod anyway, not the camera.

20. Wheels Feb 18, 2013

From reading the spec data, you can pump the ISO up to redonkulus levels so I guess IS doesnt come into play that much. Given the way modern cameras handle light, you'd have to punch past 6400ISO before you saw much grain. That's one of the great advantages of cameras like the Canon 5D MK 3. Yes you have IS on a lot of the Canon L series lenses and most of those are fast glass. Add great ISO levels like 102,400 and you can shoot in really low light situations.