Forums Latest Members

Comical Shysters on Craigslist

1. janice&fred Aug 18, 2020

Here is a guy that incessantly posts in all CT locales looking to buy watches, jewelry and art. He is sincerely ready to help :D

Here is the text of his ads:

Not a Dealer, Not a Reseller, Not a Jewler.
    Please read the entire thing you will feel much confidence about meeting with me.
    Please stop asking why a watch is fake, I respect your time please respect mine.
    Hi my name is David. I’m a watch collector, enthusiast or a hoarder. I enjoy spending time with my watches more than humans. I don’t just collect pristine condition watches I collect even broken or non functioning watches so I can use some parts for my other time pieces.
    I’m a collector not a dealer so I can’t price your watches or give out offers please have a price for your merchandise, we can negotiate a no hassle cash offer for your watch that’s reasonable/ acceptable for both I will definitely be interested. If you want to sell on google or eBay that’s up to you please don’t expect me to compete with the big chains they don’t pay cash they pay on 1099 (taxes) after you sell anything online you will have to pay taxes to Uncle Sam, eBay holds the money for 14-21 days before releasing the funds, scammers usually prey on such people. I don’t buy anything from eBay whatsoever personally, I have been scammed 3 times when I tried to buy and hence I gave up, I purchased watch parts and got a soap, a stone and diapers.
    No I don’t want you to SHIP me your watches I will meet you locally at a Starbucks, bank or local to you police station without any hesitation.
    please understand that before starting the conversation.

From Reading to patochue long island and from Albany to Delaware I have family/friends living all over tri state, Philadelphia and Scranton. So if you see my ad in your area that means I will meet you locally.

I have bought from Craigslist all the time and I never had any issues thank GOD. So please call or text me for fastest reply.
    If you need help regarding your watches I have helped many many people get their watches fixed who have asked me for help in past so please don’t hesitate ask away.

Send me some clear sunlit photos, I can’t give offers on one photo so please be patient.
    The brands and things I collect are as follows, I also collect diamonds, jewelry, designer jewelry and high end goods. Hermès, Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, Goyard, cartier, van cleef arpel, Rolex, blancpain, audemars piquet, patek Phillipe, Panerai, hublot, breitling, IWC, omega, Tudor, droz, breguet,orvis, solunagraph, heuer, bulgari, oris, zrc, journe,bvlgari, Harry Winston, Pomellato so on and so forth. Any American currency, old bills, $1000 $500 bills, Antique jewelry costume old watches diver broken jewelry any collectible stones. I collect all the above and then some. Vintage swords or anything nautical theme, brainwash,banksy, Jordan.
    My personal phone number is show contact info .
    Yes my phone number is from newyork because I work at 55 wall st. And I live in northern New Jersey. GOD has blessed me with happiness and prosperity I don’t want to mess it up for any amount of money, so please be confident that you will meet a professional. I have only met great hearted humans here who have invited me to meet there families and have become friends over the years.

Thank you,
    David
    show contact info

Benbradstock, 0uss, Wuza72 and 2 others like this.
  2. Dan S Aug 18, 2020

It's painful to read, but I bet he gets a lot of contacts.

CL is a strange place. There is a guy near me who has been apparently trying to sell a watch for over a year. It's not exactly my dream watch, but I wouldn't mind having it. His asking price is ridiculous, but he has all this language in his listing about not wanting low-ball offers from dealers, etc., so for a long time I figured there was absolutely no point in contacting him. Well, a few months ago I was bored and just decided to give it a shot. So I spent some time composing a really polite message, introducing myself, giving personal information, and justifying the amount of my (fair) cash offer with links to eBay sales and forum listings. As you would expect, I got a scathing response, excoriating me for my insulting offer, and telling me that I was an idiot and had no idea how to do transactions properly. Well, I sent him a polite response and said that if he ever changed his mind, I was still interested in the watch. In the months since then he has reduced the asking price by 5%.

Edited Aug 18, 2020
  3. janice&fred Aug 18, 2020

Could be but he ain't buying much in my locale. I bought a stainless Rolex datejust out in walrus' neck of the woods a few months ago and the seller said he actually called this guy but was put off by his abrasive tone and lowball offer of $800. I paid $1500 and thought I stole the thing. He was asking $2200 but it needed a service and new crown.

Benbradstock likes this.
  4. OmegaP99 Aug 18, 2020

That guy is a flipper plain and simple. So he works on Wall St yet has time to wander all over the NE meeting lifelong friends and paying them for their junk watches. The strong use of scare tactics is a classic move too, "don't try to sell your watches on eBay or you will DIE!!!"

We have exactly these types of posts here too, not a dealer or resellers just a collector who strangely also does not know the value of watches even tho he does this all day long and so you have to name your price (preying on ignorance). These people piss me off, but it takes two to tango as they say.

Benbradstock and apsm100 like this.
  5. Marsimaxam Aug 18, 2020

He, like so many others, preys on ignorance. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve met who are wearing Dad’s vintage watch and have no clue of its value and are shocked when I tell them they are walking around with a 30k plus watch on their wrist. ( True story, salesman walked into my office wearing a vintage Rolex GMT 6542, yes the acrylic bezel had been replaced, but still worth a small fortune... no clue).

You have all watched Antique Road Show, well maybe not, and have seen the number of people who bring in old paintings, furniture, ceramics, and jewelry and are stunned when told its value.

Educate yourself, it’s easy in today’s world, just google the damn thing. But vultures are out there, so beware.

lindo, janice&fred and DaveK like this.
  6. Walrus Aug 18, 2020

On a positive craigslist note I sold a guy his first vintage omega. He had recently retired and wanted to celebrate with a vintage Swiss watch. I think I made 20 bucks on the sale, might not even had been that much. It was a simple Geneve or seamaster that needed service (which I explained to him) but when I gave it to him to look at his eyes lit up like he was holding a valuable Rolex or some nicer watch.

7. janice&fred Aug 18, 2020

Oh there are plenty positive things about craigslist. I just get a kick out of these slippery "collectors" that collect precious metals and gems.

Davidt likes this.
  8. JwRosenthal Aug 18, 2020

...or designer clothing, handbags, shoes or anything they can possibly flip.

9. janice&fred Aug 18, 2020

Oh don't get me wrong I have no problem with someone trying to earn, but there are better ways to go about it that typing the kind of swill "Dave" does in his ad.
    Would be a shame if someone got a burner phone and led poor dave on a wild goose chase thru northern jersey looking to buy an old Daytona. :D

KeithS, lindo, Davidt and 2 others like this.
  10. Braindrain Aug 18, 2020

I think a Geneve or Seamaster is a *very* nice watch. ;)

11. Walrus Aug 18, 2020

I do as well the one I sold, not so much

kip595 likes this.
  12. kip595 Aug 18, 2020

I wonder what these people put down as occupation on their taxes; I really do. :/

janice&fred likes this.
  13. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 18, 2020

Craigslist Shyster ;)

DaveK and janice&fred like this.
  14. OmegaP99 Aug 18, 2020

Something like this:

Name: Hi my name is David!
    Primary place of business: From Reading to patochue long island and from Albany to Delaware

DaveK likes this.
  15. OmegaP99 Aug 18, 2020

slique12, DaveK, lindo and 1 other person like this.
  16. Walrus Aug 18, 2020

DaveK and OmegaP99 like this.
  17. High Hope Aug 18, 2020

There has been a mint but not-so-beautiful oval (flying saucer) Camy advertised on CL forever. The price was $200, but last week I saw he'd reduced it to $100. I would take a chance, send him the money, and anxiously await the watch (which did sound like a really nice bit of 70s weirdness.)

Here's the string. If you're interested contact the guy. He seemed like a delightful fellow.

[​IMG]
    CAMLY Swiss Mens Automatic Watch Vintage - like new - $100
    This watch is triple signed , crown , dial, and has the ordinal band. All in perfect condition from the seventies. I am the original owner and it has been hardly worn, no problems. Please send a phone number because I will only respond to your phone number. Thanks!

Hi,
    You can reach me at 336-xxx-xxxx. I'm in central NC.
    Thanks,
    High Hope

"Are you interested in coming to Charlotte to see the watch?"

Hi,
    I like the watch. A trip is probably not necessary. Your ad has been up for a while, and you seem like an honest person. Let me know:
    -Do you have any removed links from the bracelet?
    -Any service history?
    -Is it keeping accurate time?
    Thanks. Feel free to call but email is better. My phone is 336-xxx-xxxx
    Regards,
    High Hope

"The add has been up because I am selective, BTW it’s unnecessary for you to state that, and that somebody seems “okay”, and I don’t ship items. Local sale f to f only. No links, fits my 7.5 inch wrist at full adjustment, and has never needed service. You won’t find a finer Swiss watch in this condition for a 100 bucks. Please don’t respond without a plan to see the watch or have someone here purchase it. I will probably be raising the price soon. Thanks."

No thanks, I don’t deal with unpleasant people.

Edited Aug 18, 2020
    JimJupiter, DaveK, blufinz52 and 2 others like this.
  18. Walrus Aug 18, 2020

Damn that dude ain’t right

19. Dan S Aug 18, 2020

Well you have to admire his dedication to finding his watch a good home.

20. janice&fred Aug 18, 2020

Oh those are my favorite to buy from. I can play the obedient putz for them if there's money on the table to earn. Once they think you are put in your proper place they can be easily manipulated into "helping out" the harmless nerdy watch enthusiast. Thanks for helping me out and Mazel Tov mofo :D

KeithS, blufinz52 and High Hope like this.