Forums Latest Members
  1. mac_omega Apr 23, 2015

Isn´t it the same (like) with new cars?

2. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 23, 2015

Absolutely yes for me. I won't even eat anything in my new car, 6 months later and I'm balancing coffee and a bagel with one hand.

3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Apr 23, 2015

I had to sell this as I never wore it. It is not exactly rare, fancy or expensive but I was afraid of scratching it. Part of me was / is sad at letting it go, but another part says at least it is being worn by a forum member who is more careful than I am

cosmic receipt.jpg
    Privateday7 and Northernman like this.
  4. Hijak Apr 23, 2015

These two posts cover my thoughts to the "T"...couldn't have said it better myself!:thumbsup:

5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 23, 2015

I agree wholeheartedly!

Sooner or later all mine get worn or they're sold.

But -kudos to those who truly collect. , I'd gladly while away a day or three in a museum stocked with some of the examples our esteemed members have shown here on OF. :)

lwong and oddboy like this.
  6. justwatching Apr 23, 2015

I think all vintage watches are meant to be worn. The occational nicks and scratches it gets just deepens the connection between the watch and the owner.

Civic4982 and TexasKevin like this.
  7. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 23, 2015

I buy two types of watches. Collector grade and Wearable grade. I like knowing I have pristine examples I can place into my collection and then others which I wouldn't mind beating around. I also at times buy extra cases and such then transplant the innards (dial, hands, movement) into the new case and beat that case up typical for older speedmasters which I want to wear out.

Tritium likes this.
  8. micampe Apr 23, 2015

I feel bad having watches I don’t wear, so I only get watches I want to wear.

VetPsychWars, Civic4982 and oddboy like this.
  9. lenny Apr 23, 2015

Thankfully, I wear everything I have. I couldn't imagine owning something that I was uncomfortable wearing (though, oddly enough, I do have some that are uncomfortable to wear). My dad always feared getting his new car scratched and I could never wrap my head around that. It's meant to be used...
    That reminds me, there is a Hodinkee video with John Goldberger where he uses a pocket knife to open up a Patek (I think) of some sort. I can respect that.
    http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/talking-watches-with-john-goldberger

Civic4982 likes this.
  10. micampe Apr 23, 2015

Even better, it was the kitchen knife they were using for cheese, which he just wiped off on his sleeve. It made me smile when I saw it. 6'50" on the video.

Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 10.36.26 AM.png

11. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Apr 23, 2015

Great question judging from the responses.

I passed on a Seamaster from the early 50's that looked close to perfect. I was wanting a daily wearer and was torn between buying the "best example" or continuing to look for one that I felt more comfortable with. The replies confirm I made the right decision.

12. Tjmmartin Apr 23, 2015

I honestly don't know where people get minty watches from!! All mine have some fault and even then I find myself looking at them thinking how great they look. Wear mine all the time and frequently add "patina" to them....usually accompanied by a few choice words!

Civic4982 and oddboy like this.
  13. davidswiss Apr 26, 2015

I had a couple of NOS watches that I never wore and eventually sold. The ones I have I wear though some more frequently than others as their age and value both increase. I don't have any in outstandingly good condition and that's probably a good thing as I enjoy using them.

14. Civic4982 Apr 26, 2015

This is why most of my watches are more on the loved and worn side. I prefer them that way so I'll give them more wrist time and not worry about them.

I'm not as into keeping watches for investments. They're more like toys for me and I want to get as much joy out of them as possible.

15. Slevin kelevra Apr 26, 2015

I appreciate a collection of collector grade pieces that spend all their time in the safe but part of me would start to lose interest in them if I could not wear them and enjoy them.

I think there is nothing more interesting /cool than a vintage watch that although it has been looked after, has some signs of wear and patina. That watch will have lived with its owner through thick and thin.

This is certainly how I view watches. Take care of them and they will take care of you. But most of all, Wear them!

16. bill5959 Apr 26, 2015

I go into my closet just to look at my watches! Some I don't wear just because. Right now I am wearing 1960 50 fathoms. Hell it was already used by a Navy diver. My turn, plus it makes me happy:)

Stewart H and VetPsychWars like this.
  17. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 26, 2015

IMHO the case is the most important thing in a collectible watch. Given time and money, you can source original dials and hands and you could even have movement parts made (at a price) but you can't undo a polished case. If you can get a watch with an un-molested case, you can take the decision as to whether or not you have any dings filled and the original finish re-applied - you can't replace removed material.

Privateday7, STANDY and VetPsychWars like this.
  18. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 26, 2015

I have been told by multiple individuals that everything else can be made right but the case. This is obviously from the non-collector perspective, but good to know.

Tom

19. nickw Apr 26, 2015

I weirdly project feelings onto all things mechanical and feel like they are only really happy and fulfilling the wishes of the crafts people who make them when they are being used. To me a "garage queen" sports car or a watch locked away for years in a safe deposit box are both sad. The way a watch becomes worn is part of the time it's spent with me. That limits me from owning anything I'm not comfortable wearing but it makes me happier with my collection. Everybody has their own approach and fears but that's where I've landed.

20. rolexfantastic Apr 27, 2015

True enough. I don't like to keep watches on the winder and some collectors will find it useless at one point: either it does not have enough slots, either it gets noisy, either the watches on the winder will not fall into the usual rotation, etc.
    Quickset is just one of the best features ever. For the lack of it, i had to change my choice multiple mornings actually.
    No dates are always an excellent choice no matter if sports / casual or dress.

As for the keeping safe or wear it... unless it does not have the purple protecting film or you're Bear Grylls, i can't see how a couple dings would give you the creeps wearing a - rare - vintage. I thought that all the efforts in tracking and buying one, will pay off the moment you'll strap it on the wrist and the crystal will catch your cracking smile.

oddboy likes this.