Forums Latest Members

Collector quartz? (Warning this thread contains philosophical notions)

1. Pastorbottle Feb 13, 2023

Whist collectors keep pushing up prices for both classic manual and automatic winders, do you think that, as these are generally now out of the price range of newer entry level enthusiasts, will they in turn end up settling for quartz watches instead and end up pushing up the prices of those too?
    There is some collector interest in early digital watches and even bloody swatches! The cabbage patch kids of the watch world ( instant collectables just add marketing bullshit)

There is precedent in the classic car world where the hero models get priced why outta reach from even relatively wealthy enthusiasts, they in turn settle for the lesser models and so on it goes until even the bare bones poverty pack models are bringing a ridiculous premium.
    It doesn’t end there, next even cars that were absolute crap when they were new become collectors items even though they’re only real selling points are that they’re old and have somehow not been crushed yet unlike their less fortunate brethren.

I myself don’t care about the investment potential of the stuff I like, be it classic cars, boats, whiskey and watches.
    In fact I’d rather all the money grubbing bastards would piss off and go back to the sharemarkets , commodities, international money markets or whatever other shit I couldn’t give rats arse about.
    True enthusiasts don’t care for making money out of their passions, to them money is just a means of indulging their passions.
    To sell of the good stuff only to make a profit means you can now only buy lesser stuff as all the other good stuff went up in value when yours did.
    So on this cycle goes until all you end up with is the shit.

Back to my original question, are the true enthusiasts gonna get priced outta the classic quartz watch market too?

janice&fred likes this.
  2. janice&fred Feb 13, 2023

Well if one stops to think, there are a gazillion mechanical and quartz models from respected manufacturers that are available right now for a song. Your premise would be valid if one was merely speaking of Rolex, Omega and other high priced brands. Even with those names there are plenty of bargains to be had right now. Speedmasters and Submariners no, but plenty of affordable deals around on other models. The key is not to play "follow the leader" and be attracted to whatever the trends dictate.