Forums Latest Members
  1. cmdumond Jul 1, 2016

Current events have inspired me to stop lurking and register. Thanks for all the great posts here. I have enjoyed the photos and vintage watch discussions.
    For starters, I've saved up enough cash to buy myself a vintage dress watch/dressy Seamaster. I am a terribly impatient person when I have a little bit of money burning a hole in my pocket. Second, I recently learned I may inherit a nice Omega from my grandfather and I'm really excited about that, but I'd like him to hang around a while longer and get myself something to quench my obsession.
    I am absolutely keeping my eyes on the private sales forum. I'm ideally looking for something serviced without a date display. I've also been trolling the bay. I assume if I see something, I'm not hosing myself out of a deal by posting it here for evaluation because all the other watch wonks are searching for the same items. Sound right? If yes, I may post some links later today. If not, I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks again -- this forum is wonderful.

OMGRLX likes this.
  2. blubarb Jul 1, 2016

Hi and welcome to Omega Forums.

Just my view, but If you see something on FeeBay (or elsewhere) and you are uncertain at what you are looking at or about the claims being made then you could do a hell of a lot worse than posting on here and letting the experts give you their thoughts. It's saved me from wasting money and being in possession of a white elephant on numerous occasions. Trust is an essential part of forum life.

Fritz, cmdumond and OMGRLX like this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 1, 2016

If you see something on eBay or anywhere, it is best to develop some relationships here that you can vet watches through, baring that you need to read enough old threads to get an idea who is knowledgeable about various watch types. Posting a general thread, Hey tell me about this deal, is not always a good idea. In addition to the respectable members, there are thousands of lurkers reading and they will not hesitate to grab your find.
    When stumped on what to do, you can always ask a Mod about who is an expert regarding your interest.

aap, blubarb and cmdumond like this.
  4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 1, 2016

+1
    If your concerned post the pics and not the link
    It won't stop the unscrupulous searching but it makes them work for it

Fritz, ahartfie and cmdumond like this.
  5. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jul 1, 2016

Don't be shy, post some pics of the references you are looking for. You will get more eyes looking for your prize.

cmdumond likes this.
  6. cmdumond Jul 1, 2016

OK. I am generally looking for something 34mm or larger with an interesting dial (in other words, not flat) with no date. I like the look of the Seamaster 30 watches I've been seeing. There's a Ref 123.003 out there. Not sure if the price is right at about $660 (feels high). I think I'd also prefer something with center seconds, but the dial is neat.

OS30-1.jpg OS30-2.jpg
    jsaen likes this.
  7. cmdumond Jul 1, 2016

Sorry -- 125.003 -- fat fingers.

8. ulackfocus Jul 1, 2016

I like that watch. The facets on the lugs are not rounded by overpolishing, and the dial is cool. If it truly is serviced, $660 is not out of line.

cmdumond likes this.
  9. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jul 1, 2016

Wrong crown. Is that serial number a 13 or a 19? Ya that price is high.

cmdumond likes this.
  10. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jul 1, 2016

cmdumond likes this.
  11. cmdumond Jul 1, 2016

I am just skilled enough to do all that DIY, but I already have a project watch that allegedly only needed a new dial and crystal, but actually has a movement beyond repair ;). No more gambling for me until I get it running.
    Thank you for keeping an eye out!

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 1, 2016

If you are looking for a manual 30mm UK watch it looks OK, price would be a little high for the US , but probably about right for the UK>

cmdumond likes this.
  13. dx009 Jul 1, 2016

I think everyone here would advise you to just be patient and do a lot of research, given that you already have the funds.

Don't go spending it fast.

A good watch can be found in a couple of days but it can also take a few weeks, thankfully you don't have really specific conditions such as a certain reference, a certain year, a certain movement, etc.

cmdumond likes this.
  14. cmdumond Jul 1, 2016

Thanks. Unfortunately, my wife, four kids, doctors, house and car can sense the disturbance in the force and will take care of this for me if I don't act ;)

15. dx009 Jul 1, 2016

Your house and car are Jedis ? What a time to be alive... :eek:

jsaen and cmdumond like this.
  16. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jul 1, 2016

May I also suggest proactively seeking out a vintage watchmaker in your area. If you want to purchase a vintage watch some one who can have a look at the works, clean and lube them is a valuable resource.

cmdumond and blubarb like this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 1, 2016

cmdumond and Garv like this.
  18. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jul 2, 2016

Ya looks quite pristine...(as opposed to a rouge-on-a-pig-watch).

I like it a lot... even with the original yellow seal in the back and clean movement. Maybe you can talk the seller down as the crown is not original. But it's def. a piece you won't be sneezing at in years to come. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

19. cmdumond Jul 2, 2016

I like it a lot, but claims of it being fully serviced in spite of the gasket and gunk in the case back and no negotiations means I am moving on.

20. blubarb Jul 2, 2016