Forums Latest Members
  1. Engee Jul 3, 2020

It's a simple question. I have a Victorian gold sovereign, current value is something like £300. Dealers appear to be asking north of £500 for similar grade coins of the same year. Should I sell it and put the money towards the Rolex I'm aiming for, or should I leave it quietly for the children? This is purely a question of investment strategy - is that money better off in a watch or in a gold coin?

I know it's a ridiculous question, and I know that as watch-lovers most of you are going to say use it to enjoy a watch but I don't actually need to liquidate the coin for that, my question is really what you think would be the better way to put £300 to work - as a gold sovereign or as part of a Rolex?

Edited Jul 3, 2020
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 3, 2020

Keep the coin.
    Diversity rules.

3. OmeGez Jul 3, 2020

Chances are the Rolex will rise far quicker, but if you don’t need that £500 - then keep the coin, as once it’s gone, it’s gone..

Readiness77 and Engee like this.
  4. RonJ Jul 3, 2020

Gold can be a pretty slow-rising investment for several years in a row but it has gone up quite a bit over the past 5 years.
    IMHO, keeping the gold coin seems like the better investment choice, at least for the next few years.

gold-prices-5-years.jpg

Engee likes this.
  5. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jul 3, 2020

You'll be glad you kept the coin when Donald the Duck gets re-elected.

Farmer, Engee and connieseamaster like this.
  6. Stripey Jul 3, 2020

I agree with this. I have a (very) few gold sovereigns, including a Victorian one - I assume yours is an earlier one in good condition from what you say about the dealer prices. They are historically interesting, and like an emergency fund for me - like a last bulwark against a currency run or something.

Engee likes this.
  7. SkunkPrince Jul 3, 2020

I think it also matters where the coin came from. Was it an inheritance or did you buy it yourself?

Engee likes this.
  8. Engee Jul 3, 2020

It's a nice young head 1853 example. Reasonably well defined but not perfect. I'm persuaded by the idea of stashing away gold for when the world goes nuts, if it hasn't already.

noelekal likes this.
  9. Engee Jul 3, 2020

It was a gift from my grandfather, but I'm not sentimental about it, and neither was he. He would tell me to use it sensibly. It's a thing, not a person.

10. cjfrancese79 Jul 3, 2020

I would keep the coin especially if you don't need the money. It's a cool piece to have and gold value keeps a pretty steady increase.

Engee likes this.
  11. SkunkPrince Jul 3, 2020

That's a reasoned response, but some day one of your kids (assuming) may think differently.

Engee likes this.
  12. Dan S Jul 3, 2020

Depends on which Rolex you’re talking about. This is probably a pretty good time to sell gold.

Edited Jul 3, 2020
    Engee likes this.
  13. CPRwatch Jul 3, 2020

You mention children in your post so my assumption is you have more than one child , so I would keep the coin as one of your children might not really want a Rolex . Unless that is you have enough Rolex watches to pass one to each child , just a thought as sibling rivalry can get a bit tasty when it comes to inheritance.

Engee likes this.
  14. wristpirate Jul 3, 2020

Put the coin towards an 18k Rolex, best of both worlds

Engee likes this.
  15. Davidt Jul 3, 2020

If it's a young head/shield back sovereign id keep it.

In fact if it's any kind of full sovereign I'd keep it.

noelekal and Engee like this.
  16. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 3, 2020

No sovereign after around 1850* is worth much more than melt at present, well a small premium maybe for the fact that it is already in an easily traded form like bar. Currently any Sov can be sold for around £325 if you go to the right people. I would flog it and get the watch, unless you think gold has much further to climb.

*yes there are some rare ones minted in the colonies and rare years that may be exceptions but in the main they all get melted when the price is as high as it is now, I know some bullion dealers personally so have an insight.

Engee and Stripey like this.
  17. Stripey Jul 3, 2020

It's also a pretty good time to sell a Rolex.

Davidt and Engee like this.
  18. Dan S Jul 3, 2020

If it's a vintage sport model, then yes. But we still don't know which Rolex the OP has his eye on.

Engee and Stripey like this.
  19. Stripey Jul 3, 2020

True - not just a vintage sport model though.

Engee likes this.
  20. Engee Jul 3, 2020

1960s steel datejust is the present want.

Stripey likes this.