Forums Latest Members
  1. codyfff Dec 7, 2017

Hi everyone its my first time to consider buying a watch off of ebay. Was hoping you guys could help a newbie out and see if this is authentic? The buyer says its a 1970's model but i noticed the coathanger S and i know this is usually in the 1950's models. Quite anxious as this is my first time. Please take a look! I think this might be a Seamaster Omega ST. 36. 0868

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg

Edited Dec 7, 2017
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 7, 2017

Coat hanger "S" on a 1985 watch?
    The "E" of Omega centred directly below the Omega symbol?
    "Seamaster" positioned too high on the bottom half of the dial?

mydeafcat likes this.
  3. ConElPueblo Dec 7, 2017

I've mentioned elsewhere recently that the coathanger-S isn't a black/white issues, as it was used on various Seamasters up throught the 60s as well, but for a 70-80s Seamaster I'd guess I'd exept the rounded version. That said, if I was you, I'd focus on the rather dissapointing state of the movement and the, apparently, disfigured bezel.

mydeafcat and 1jansen like this.
  4. Passover Dec 7, 2017

Lume only on the hands and not on the indices

ConElPueblo likes this.
  5. 1jansen Dec 7, 2017

Wow, appreciated your hawk-eye.

6. ConElPueblo Dec 7, 2017

I took the reflections from the facets at 7, 8 and 10 to be lume ::facepalm2::

mydeafcat likes this.
  7. codyfff Dec 7, 2017

Thanks for the feedback, guys. If you were me, would you still get this piece? Its at a great price but all the issues you guys brought up makes me question its authenticity hmm

8. Passover Dec 7, 2017

Quite simple:
    If you don't mind it beeing definetely unauthentic and its cheap buy it (How about the movenment condition "Conelpueblo").

If you want an authentic one: run!

9. jimmyd13 Dec 7, 2017

It's never going to be a collector's piece again but for an £80 beater ... sure (that's where I'd put it at the hammer at a B&M auction).

10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 7, 2017

Also, keep the bracelet in mind. Your choices are very limited, should you want to change to a leather strap or replace it for any reason.

11. ConElPueblo Dec 7, 2017

Well, no-one here knows what floats your boat, but I can tell you what most here (I guess?) would say: No.

The first thing to look out for is originality - this has been compromised.
    The two things that would make most collectors make an exception would be that the piece in question was rare or very desirable - this isn't.
    The saving grace, should either of the above criteria not be made, is that the watch could be 1) cheap to buy and 2) a nice daily wearer. Looking at the state of the movement it is surely not in the best of conditions and I am guessing that it is not exactly being given away? The amount stated by @jimmyd13 seems about right.

12. codyfff Dec 7, 2017

Thanks, everyone! I've decided not to get the piece. I actually just got into the watch collecting hobby and I'm having a lot of fun learning and researching about them. I really appreciate all your help. Thanks for taking the time to help a newbie out. Cheers!

13. codyfff Dec 7, 2017

You're absolutely right. Thanks for the help!