Forums Latest Members

Co-axial chronometer escapement

1. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 10, 2021

Looks a bit familiar doesn't it, that is a coaxial escapement designed to eliminate the need for oil, food for thought and debate.

After first patenting his escapement in 1859 Charles Fasoldt made several of these for sale at about $300 a pop, a shitload of money in those days They were 20s pocketwatches, made in USA.

upload_2021-1-10_16-53-59.png upload_2021-1-10_16-54-11.png

DaveK likes this.
  2. Jonathan40 Jan 10, 2021

Just might be something of interest to a new (1848) watch company during development!!
    Not sure what there exposure to USA was back then and how would they have know about this guy but interesting little story.

3. Gruesome Jan 10, 2021

Very interesting. In his book 'The Practical Watch Escapement' George Daniels mentions several other escapements that transfer impulse without friction, but the Fasoldt escapement mentioned here is not among them, as far as I can tell. (Unfortunately the book has no index.)
    On page 51 for example he discusses the Robin escapement from 1791. Like the Fasoldt design here, it is a single impulse escapement, i.e. the balance gets a push only every other vibration (half oscillation), and it requires no lubrication at the impulse surfaces.

If I understand it correctly, the problem with such single impulse escapements is that they will not self-start, and are more susceptible to getting stuck on the free-running half-oscillation without impulse when disturbed.

Waltesefalcon likes this.