Forums Latest Members
  1. Aqw1942 Jun 22, 2017

Closing the loop on my father’s Seamaster

New to this game and first and foremost a thank you to all of you who tolerated my newb questions. Your information was tremendously valuable!

My father passed away last Father’s Day in my arms. While I had hoped he would live to 100 like his parents and his sister, unfortunately asbestos exposure took him “early” at 92. While everyone thinks it is horrible, I wouldn’t have it any other way than to be there as he passed and to be able to tell him “I love you Dad” one more time.

Bless my oldest brother who had the color guard present me with his flag at the wonderful ceremony at the Great Lakes National Cemetery. What an honor. He kept the Omega Seamaster he gave to my Dad and gave me the old original one my Dad had since the 50’s. That is the one you now see here. I had thoughts of keeping the Spiedel band because that’s how he had it. But it was a bit large so I opted for a fake Omega band. Reason is we are cleaning out their house of 50 years and I hope the original band is somewhere in that house! You may see that he engraved his drivers license on the back. That is actually a feature that makes it even more invaluable to me!

Your great advice led me to Jose Tavares who along with his sons operates Art Dial Watch in Southfield, MI. They were awesome and I will take future vintage watches to them (oops, I’m kind of hooked on this vintage watch thing!) as I’m already searching out a vintage Speedmaster. I told them not to polish or change anything. Just clean and lube it. I can now wear it for another 4 years or so without worry.

Now the pics...

IMG_0299.JPG IMG_0300.JPG IMG_0301.JPG IMG_0302.JPG IMG_0304.JPG IMG_5172.JPG IMG_5175.JPG IMG_5176.JPG
    GregH, Jwit, GuiltyBoomerang and 10 others like this.
  2. Aqw1942 Jun 22, 2017

Somehow missed this pic. Dad looking dapper sometime right around 1960 so probably about the time he bought the Seamaster. Wish I could make out what exactly the band looked like.

FullSizeRender.jpg
    GregH, Jwit, chronos and 6 others like this.
  3. ConElPueblo Jun 22, 2017

Well done!

[​IMG]

Aqw1942 likes this.
  4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 22, 2017

Great story! I love stories of Fathers, Sons and the timepieces they share.

I have a question: What's up with that battery???

Aqw1942 and chronos like this.
  5. Aqw1942 Jun 22, 2017

Haha. I asked the same thing. He said the battery was laying on the bench so it sneaked into the picture. Yeah I was thinking that's not professional to have multiple watch parts on the bench but hey I'm no watchmaker. Plus they were consummately professional without attitude in all other aspects.

And yesterday my 18 yr old son and I took a long walk. I told him that hopefully in many years this would be his. I gave him my old titanium seiko and he has a Shinola Runwell that matches mine. Yes, we live in Detroit so it's "a thing" here! The funny thing is he got a Timex from his girlfriend last month for his birthday and that's all he wears now. I'm glad that he is because I told him it is great that his watch has special meaning to him. The most important point I told him is that a watch can set him apart from others as a mark of a more sophisticated gentleman. lol

Artdialwatch.com

Edited Jun 22, 2017
    noelekal and Taddyangle like this.
  6. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 22, 2017

Watch stories don't get much better than this.

It's a great-looking watch that no doubt you'll wear with pride and joy :)

Aqw1942 likes this.
  7. Aqw1942 Jun 22, 2017

One last pic I swear...here's what it looked like when I got it. The crystal was so scratched in the light you could barely see the dial! I carefully used a felt pad under my finger and toothpaste to polish all but the deepest gauges out.

IMG_3635.JPG
  8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 22, 2017

Touching tale. Thank you so much for posting it and for sharing the photos.

I like that model Seamaster.

Aqw1942 likes this.
  9. Rumar89 Jun 22, 2017

Great story and beautiful watch. I'm sure it means a lot to have such a physical reminder of your father.

Wear it in good health!

10. Aqw1942 Jun 23, 2017

So I started my iPhone timer in sync and over 27 hours the Seamaster lost 6-7 seconds. That's pretty good isn't it?

Not that I really care but I thought that's impressive for an almost 60 yr old watch.

ConElPueblo and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  11. bgrisso Jun 24, 2017

Yes that is good [emoji106]