Forums Latest Members
  1. JB Ondarts Sep 19, 2014

Can you please help me identifying my dad's watch he got in Saigon (Vietnam) in 1949-1950 with original certificate?

He passed away last month.

Thanks a bunch

This is what I read from the inside:

344 (below omega signa)
    17 jewels

inside the back cover:

écrit a la main sur certificat (hand-wriiten on the certificate):
    IMG_5937.jpg IMG_5945.jpg IMG_5986.jpg IMG_5986.jpg

s IMG_5985.jpg

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 19, 2014

Welcome to the forum JB.

Appears to be a very nice solid gold Omega bumper and you have done a great job of identifying it so far.

Some of our "vintage" gold members will be able to provide some more advice.

I'm sure we'd all like to see some close ups of the dial :)

3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Sep 19, 2014

Nice, you don't see many of these 14321s around. Guilloche dial is particularly attractive. I'd say it was a bit later than 49-50, more like late 51 - early 52.

Cheers

Desmond

4. ChrisN Sep 19, 2014

Desmond is one of those 'Gold' members, I'm not but, it looks a lovely watch with a very attractive dial. The 14321 does not feature on the Omega database but, this is nothing to worry about.

It would be nice to wear it as a momento of your father but, before doing that, make sure it has a service. The movement is missing the case clamp and this will allow it to rattle about, not doing anything any good. This is an easy fix for any watchmaker - you can see where it and the screw should be on the left of your 'movement plus case back' pictures where there is a threaded hole not used between the lower lugs.

Cheers, Chris.

5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 19, 2014

Sorry about your dad. My pops passed away somewhat suddenly in January '07 and there's not a day goes by where I don't spend some time thinking about him.

Your dad had excellent taste in watches; this was a very refined watch produced at the height of the Korean Conflict and during the beginning of the Cold War.

I'm not sure what your intentions are but please keep me in mind if you plan on parting ways with this specific watch one day. It really is a lovely watch...a million apologies if that came off as pushy or insensitive - that's not my intention nor is it my nature. I just like buying watches where I can reach back and know the entire history of the piece and that makes her extra special...

Kind wishes,

Rich

6. John R Smith Sep 19, 2014

JB

This is a nice example of an 18k Omega "bumper" with the 344 calibre, which was the final iteration of the sub-second 18.10 automatic movement. This was only introduced in 1953, so it would suggest that the watch was sold rather later than 1949-50. Given the time lag between movement date and sale, it could be as late as 1955. Unfortunately the warranty is not dated, so we cannot be sure. Another problem is that the number on the warranty 13,894,976 should be the movement serial number, but it does not match the number actually in the watch, which is 13,495,988. Both numbers are in the correct range for a calibre 344, but it would suggest that either the complete movement or just the rotor bridge has been swapped out at some time.

Everything else looks correct, the dial is guilloche and the dauphine hands look good. The 11236648 inside the back is the case serial number, which is in the correct range for a 1950s date. The missing case clamp and screw could be more of a problem than Chris suggests - the screw is very hard to find as an Omega part, and the clamps came in a whole range of depths from flat (no joggle) to deep (big joggle), most of which are discontinued as parts.

citizenrich likes this.
  7. JB Ondarts Sep 20, 2014

Thank you all for your caring, educational and helpful comments and suggestions!

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2014

One more note. If you do get it serviced, do not allow the refinishing or replacement of the dial or the replacement of the hands. Also do not let them polish the case, as this removes detail. The winding crown can be replaced if necessary, but be sure to keep with the watch papers.

9. Pahawi Oct 2, 2014

10. speedbird Oct 2, 2014

boy, don't know how I feel about that! An article I wrote for Jake's Rolex Blog was cribbed by another site and slightly re-worded. I didn't say anything but it's still annoying

11. Pasbru Oct 2, 2014

WOW! This appears wrong on many levels no?

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 2, 2014

Dial was redone, but buyer still got a decent value for money. Hard to find an original Swiss cased Omega in 18K for under $900 regardless of the originality of the dial.

Not the first time I've seen this practice. We've all fallen for it once.

If I were Desmond or John, I'd contact the seller and demand an endorsement fee or threaten a lawsuit.

Might stop him the next time.
    gatorcpa

Pasbru likes this.
  13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 2, 2014

Desmond and John acted honorably and above-board as I would expect from these quality individuals......... a pox on anyone that preys on the helpfulness and good souls of these true gentlemen !!!

Pasbru likes this.
  14. John R Smith Oct 3, 2014

You notice that the seller left out all the negative parts of my assessment . . .

dougiedude likes this.
  15. Paul K Oct 3, 2014

I bought this watch. Saw the listing late and won it with a bid right near the end. Had not seen this thread before the auction. Not sure I should have bid given what the seller did, but I didn't really think about it at the time I'm sorry to say.

@ gatorcpa why do you think the dial is redone?

16. Dablitzer Oct 3, 2014

Dial is refinshed but attractive, who can argue that price for a solid gold Omega!!! :coffee:

ChrisN likes this.
  17. Paul K Oct 3, 2014

No, I can't argue with the price, just interested in seeing what I missed. Is it the Omega font, the minute track or should it have Swiss made? I will go back and study the photos in the listing better.

Does anyone know if one of these case clamps would fit?
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/111459248046?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

18. John R Smith Oct 3, 2014

Paul

These are the flat clamps without the joggle (or little bend). They are the correct part number for the movement you have, but the issue is whether they will fit the case. All of my bumpers with this case clamp design have a joggled clamp. You will also need a screw for the casing clamp, Omega part number 2145.

P.S. Cousins UK have the 2145 screw at £5.95 plus the VAT each

Paul K likes this.
  19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 3, 2014

Pointed "A" in Omega and Automatic. Should have a flat top. No "Swiss Made" at the bottom

I'd leave it alone.
    gatorcpa

20. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 3, 2014

Yes, the dial was refinished and the crown may be a wrong replacement.

Here are some of mine,

5725322078_349c676947_z.jpg 6477218349_deb555540f_o.jpg

dougiedude and Paul K like this.