Forums Latest Members

Cleaning plexi crystal in isopropylalcohol

1. alalalalongines Jan 25, 2023

Hello everybody.

Yesterday i tightened a canon pinion and also cleaned the case.
    After cleaning the case (including the crystal) in lighter fluid and rinsing it case in isopropylalcohol i noticed fine concentric hairlines in the crystal, that are so fine making it impossible to photograph.

Have i damaged the crystal this way or were they there before and i haven't noticed them because they are so small?

Thank you for your attention.
    Have a nice day!
    Lukas

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 25, 2023

Who told you to clean the case in lighter fluid and then alcohol….dishwashing soap and water is usually all you need…

We definitely need pictures

3. alalalalongines Jan 25, 2023

I thought there was less chance of rust if i don't use water.
    Thank you for the tip. But it does not answer my question if the IPA is to blame.

You can see the hairlines over the hour hand.
    1000003710.jpg

4. Dan S Jan 25, 2023

The IPA may have made the crazing more visible if it seeped in and increased the refractive index contrast. But ultimately only you can tell us if the crazing was present previously. We don't know.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 25, 2023

Both.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/alcohol-and-acrylic-crystals-do-not-mix.1049854/

I think the culprit in the thread I posted are the additives in rubbing alcohol. The threat is less with higher quality alcohol (sometimes called “denatured”).

But if the stress cracks were already present in the crystal, even a successful cleaning is going to make them seem more prominent because you are removing the other distracting scratches on the surface.

The only cure is a new crystal.
    gatorcpa

Ron_W and alalalalongines like this.
  6. alalalalongines Jan 25, 2023

Thanks a lot! This post explained it quite well.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 25, 2023

Alcohol will not damage an acrylic crystal...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No difference before to after applying 99% alcohol to this old acrylic crystal...

Dan S, sonicosa, masteroftime and 2 others like this.
  8. kaplan Jan 28, 2023

I recently got some experience with acrylic, more than I want, replacing around 30 crystals, one watch/crystal combo really wore me down and I got to test and go beyond the limits

Acrylic is a wonder material to me now

I think the main issue here is in the wonder, it's an extremely flexible material and there can be cracks that you can't see under magnification, so maybe the issue is related to this, if the acrylic is used or abused, it could be prone to discolouration or similar issues

As an unproved caution, these invisible cracks can move humidity and ruin a dial - I've seen 2 watches with patinated dials and the crystal was the only culprit, the caseback and the movement was clean and on one of them, the crack was easily observable as the crystal separated while pressing it out, but on the second one, the crystal was strong yet the discolouration path of the water movement inside could be seen

Edit: So maybe if the objective is water proofing, alcohol could be a test material too, if it fogs the acrylic, maybe it's detecting these cracks/zones

sheepdoll likes this.
  9. Pvt-Public Jan 29, 2023

If anything thing I would think lighter fluid would be many times worse on acrylic than alcohol. Especially since soap and water is all that’s needed.

10. Dan S Jan 29, 2023

Archer likes this.
  11. gbesq Jan 29, 2023

Agreed. I use eyeglass lense cleaner to remove dirt and smudges from my crystals. The main ingredient is alcohol and I've been using it for years. Never any damage.

alalalalongines and Larry S like this.
  12. wrist time Jan 29, 2023

kaplan and alalalalongines like this.