Clasp stuck in brand new Seamaster 300 professional diver

So disappointed. Just picked up a brand new (from AD) Seamaster blue wave diver and today—with no explainable reason—the clasp jammed while it was on my wrist. Both buttons stuck in the pushed-in position. In the end, in order to remove the watch, I had to remove a link. Managed to do it without scratching the bracelet, but how frustrating is this.

I gather other folks have had similar issues with Omega clasps. Am I going to have to send the watch in to Omega now—after having it for only 5 days? Or is this the kind of thing where the AD can get the part for me?

You're not the first. This happened to someone else on here

If I remember correctly, there was a bad batch of these clasps prone to jamming. I'd say it's likely your AD had one watch with a bracelet from that batch.

Do you imagine the AD will send me a new bracelet? Or is this going to be a whole prolonged thing?

Obviously I will call tomorrow. But wondering what other folks have experienced…

Do you imagine the AD will send me a new bracelet? Or is this going to be a whole prolonged thing?

Obviously I will call tomorrow. But wondering what other folks have experienced…

They should swap the clasp for you.

They should swap the clasp for you.

Wondering if I can just send them the bracelet, then (they’re out of state) so I can continue to wear the watch on a NATO in the meantime… Guess I’ll see what they say.

Thought I’d follow up on this in case anyone is interested. Guessing I won’t be the last person to experience this issue.

AD wants to pursue the warranty route, which makes sense. I preemptively refused to send in the watch, since I can just wear it on a NATO; the clasp/bracelet is really all they need. I did bristle, though, at the thought of this dragging on for weeks or even months, potentially, knowing how long SWATCH/Omega can take, especially during the pandemic. So I suggested—and the AD immediately agreed—that they will send my clasp/bracelet on to Omega but won’t make me wait: they will send me a new one from their backstock. And then once the replacement one arrives they’ll use that for the watch they parted out to me and return my warranty card.

Very happy—so far—with their handling of this. They seem to appreciate that it would be unreasonable to expect me to bear the brunt of this inconvenience with a watch I’ve had for less than a week.

Yeah, so far I’ve had good dealings with them. We’ll see how this actually goes down, but at least for now I’m happy.

Sounds like a good AD.

Definitely. Another poster was asked to send their entire watch back to Omega for this warranty repair of the clasp. Omega demanded it. Now it is the AD’s problem and not yours.

This is rather odd isn’t this the third or fourth post similar to this? Must be a real bummer for a watch you just bought. Could be worse I think I had six recalls on one car, from airbags to electrical to emissions I guess there is no perfect QC ( not comparing cars and watches just the annoyance of issues with new things)

Yeah it’s clearly a known issue. I prefer the SM to the Sub in every way (having owned both) but I think the Rolex clasp design is better. Just feels less likely to have problems like this.

Great CS so far from your Ad...keep us posted.

will do. I’ve been around the block too many times to be a wide-eyed optimist, and there are still several things that need to happen for this to go well. (They need to receive/acknowledge the bracelet I’m sending back; they need to get me the new one; Omega needs to do its part; they need to return my warranty card to me; the replacement clasp needs to not be faulty too…) So here’s hoping. But to date, as far as lip service goes, I’m happy.

It’s a known issue with a known solution, so Omega will make this right.

Bumping my own thread here.

My replacement clasp--all of 4 months old--jammed up yesterday. Thankfully not on my wrist at the time. Better than the 5 days the first clasp lasted, but I'm assuming they're supposed last more than a few months. The more I google around the more I see that a lot of people have had this issue with the SMP clasps. Just got off the phone and the AD will rinse & repeat with me: I can send in either just the clasp (if I can get it off) or the entire watch, along with the warranty card, and they will have Omega replace it... again.

I'm realistic about expectations with Omega---it's a mass-produced watch. But this seems like truly awful qc. Really beginning to contemplate selling the piece once I get the brand new clasp: it's still a new watch and the only blemishes currently are desk-diver scratches on the clasp, so with a brand new one, it'll be in flawless condition. Really my only issues are with the clasp, not only its malfunctioning, but also the sheer bulk of it. Otherwise really like how it looks, and it's an incredibly accurate timekeeper. But the worry about it getting stuck on my wrist again (like it did the first time) is ruining the experience.

I swear, I don't mistreat the clasp: I'm very ginger with it. I'm not doing anything to encourage this mechanical misbehavior.

Not expecting any substantive replies here--just me bitching for a second. Maybe I'll swap it for an AT with a butterfly clasp, which I kind of like better.

Frustrating, especially the pedestrian nature of the issue...I mean given the intricacy of their movements you'd think they could master the dual-button clasp release since millions of earlier watches all have flawless variations on the same theme.

Makes me wonder if they really gave you the updated clasp last time...

Bumping my own thread here.

My replacement clasp--all of 4 months old--jammed up yesterday. Thankfully not on my wrist at the time. Better than the 5 days the first clasp lasted, but I'm assuming they're supposed last more than a few months. The more I google around the more I see that a lot of people have had this issue with the SMP clasps. Just got off the phone and the AD will rinse & repeat with me: I can send in either just the clasp (if I can get it off) or the entire watch, along with the warranty card, and they will have Omega replace it... again.

I'm realistic about expectations with Omega---it's a mass-produced watch. But this seems like truly awful qc. Really beginning to contemplate selling the piece once I get the brand new clasp: it's still a new watch and the only blemishes currently are desk-diver scratches on the clasp, so with a brand new one, it'll be in flawless condition. Really my only issues are with the clasp, not only its malfunctioning, but also the sheer bulk of it. Otherwise really like how it looks, and it's an incredibly accurate timekeeper. But the worry about it getting stuck on my wrist again (like it did the first time) is ruining the experience.

I swear, I don't mistreat the clasp: I'm very ginger with it. I'm not doing anything to encourage this mechanical misbehavior.

Not expecting any substantive replies here--just me bitching for a second. Maybe I'll swap it for an AT with a butterfly clasp, which I kind of like better.

Sorry to hear this. I had this issue on my first 2018 SMP also, although it never handcuffed my wrist and it was soon sorted. But having swapped out my SMPs for an Aqua Terra, 41mm I have to say that I very much prefer the bracelet and its butterfly clasp, despite the justified complaints about its PCLs and lack of microadjustment, etc.

I also prefer the AT overall for several other reasons, but that’s another post. Good luck with your next new-new SMP clasp and I totally get your frustration.