Clasp stuck in brand new Seamaster 300 professional diver

This happened to me as well with a new watch - I could not get it off my wrist !

I poured some olive oil into the clasp hoping to free it. In the end I put a screwdriver into the clasp and prized it open.

I took a few pictures expecting there to be some kind of argument about it. Took the watch into the Dealership in my lunch hour and they replaced the whole bracelet there and then. He said it was known issue and had a few in stock - I showed him the warranty and purchase receipt - all fixed, Happy days.

upload_2022-1-19_22-6-37.png

Yeah my AD has been awesome too—remember, I’ve already been to this rodeo: this is clasp #2. The SA was very responsive and apologetic. It’s not her fault, of course, and she expressed real frustration with Omega about this. Evidently her location has see quite a few of these.

Yeah my AD has been awesome too—remember, I’ve already been to this rodeo: this is clasp #2. The SA was very responsive and apologetic. It’s not her fault, of course, and she expressed real frustration with Omega about this. Evidently her location has see quite a few of these.

That is a worry - having had it happen twice !

All this happened less than 2 months ago on a watch bought in September 2021.
Omega had provided our local dealer with some new replacement bracelets to keep in stock, and mine was the last new replacement one that he had left in stock.

Not sure when my watch was manufactured but the cardboard outer box says "WL DATE 09/20". Could that be when it was made ?

Anyway, luck of the draw.

Not sure when my watch was manufactured but the cardboard outer box says "WL DATE 09/20". Could that be when it was made ?

good question—wonder if anyone can confirm. I have all my outer boxes too and could check mine.

Machining tolerances all combined in the wrong direction? Holes too big, allows axis to get out of alignment then binds internally? Hope you get it fixed right.

So disappointed. Just picked up a brand new (from AD) Seamaster blue wave diver and today—with no explainable reason—the clasp jammed while it was on my wrist. Both buttons stuck in the pushed-in position. In the end, in order to remove the watch, I had to remove a link. Managed to do it without scratching the bracelet, but how frustrating is this.

I gather other folks have had similar issues with Omega clasps. Am I going to have to send the watch in to Omega now—after having it for only 5 days? Or is this the kind of thing where the AD can get the part for me?

Wow ! That’s weird…

Bumping my own thread here.

My replacement clasp--all of 4 months old--jammed up yesterday. Thankfully not on my wrist at the time. Better than the 5 days the first clasp lasted, but I'm assuming they're supposed last more than a few months. The more I google around the more I see that a lot of people have had this issue with the SMP clasps. Just got off the phone and the AD will rinse & repeat with me: I can send in either just the clasp (if I can get it off) or the entire watch, along with the warranty card, and they will have Omega replace it... again.

I'm realistic about expectations with Omega---it's a mass-produced watch. But this seems like truly awful qc. Really beginning to contemplate selling the piece once I get the brand new clasp: it's still a new watch and the only blemishes currently are desk-diver scratches on the clasp, so with a brand new one, it'll be in flawless condition. Really my only issues are with the clasp, not only its malfunctioning, but also the sheer bulk of it. Otherwise really like how it looks, and it's an incredibly accurate timekeeper. But the worry about it getting stuck on my wrist again (like it did the first time) is ruining the experience.

I swear, I don't mistreat the clasp: I'm very ginger with it. I'm not doing anything to encourage this mechanical misbehavior.

Not expecting any substantive replies here--just me bitching for a second. Maybe I'll swap it for an AT with a butterfly clasp, which I kind of like better.

That’s a rather strange failure given this is not high technology or anything like that… You may still have the GT85 (cyclist PTFE dry lubricant) option to try and unlock it.

You've bumped a 6-month-old thread with two back-to-back replies. Not accusing anyone of anything, but be careful lest the mods think you're 'post-farming' for access to the forum marketplace...

In any case, I'll take this unexpected opportunity to provide an update, since it's been a minute! 😀

I got my second replacement clasp, installed it, and immediately traded the watch (at a local AD that also does preowned) for an AT41 green dial (about which I posted here once or twice; I brushed the PCLs, which was a great improvement, imo). The SMP300c was a fine watch but, in my continuing journey of horological-self-discovery, I've found that it was just too big & ungainly on a 6.75" wrist, especially with that giant heavy bracelet and bulky malfunctioning clasp. The concealed clasp on the AT is vastly superior---unless you're actually diving and need the diver clasp with adjustability---but even that piece never quite connected for me. Again, too big, so it too is gone. I could probably get by with one of the smaller ATs (in the 38mm zone) or a FOIS speedy, perhaps, but I've committed myself now to 36mm, which I'm convinced is the optimum size for most male wrists. I know many will disagree, and the current (but perhaps diminishing) trend is toward >40mm hubcaps, and to each his own. But I've started to fixate on the fact that in many wrist-shots I see of larger watches, they really don't fit---lugs overhang, or they just look kinda goofy, at least to my eyes.

And so, for the moment, I'm Omega-less. I picked up a quartz tooly from Vaer (which I'm liking well enough) and have only one high-end watch---a 36mm from that other brand. But I'm guessing I'll be back into Omega at some point. Never stay away for long.

That clasp is bullsh!t, though.

Had this exact same thing happen on my Seamaster 300. I sent only the bracelet into the Omega repair center. They replaced the clasp and it was approximately a 2 month turnaround. With supply issues I didn’t think that was too bad. I was happy with their service.
Edited:

The clasp is definitely a bit over engineered. I’ve disassembled one before while trying to fix the stuck pusher issue, and the way it’s designed with opposing pieces and two tiny springs, means that even a slight variance in the dimensions of either the sliding flat pieces that lock onto the “nub” to hold the clasp closed will result in a spring moving out of place and becoming stuck.

In theory the design is great, but in practice it too easily can malfunction. That said, out of the 8-10 clasps that I’ve owned, only one had the malfunctioning pusher and was ultimately replaced via warranty. So I’m not sure if the variance issue comes from the machining of the pusher itself or the sliding lock flat pieces.

I’ll say though, it was definitely fun learning how it worked when it was all apart! Wish I’d taken photos to share.

Can’t believe it happened twice. Very strange. I’ve had a great experience so far with my seamaster, but as others have said, it can happen. I work in a manufacturing plant and sometimes it’s just bad luck. Human error, machine tolerance stackup etc etc it can and does happen. I hope it has not sullied your opinion of a great brand

I have the same problem with my PO. Pushers get stuck because the small side screws just unscrew themself. It happened twice! :-(

Watch is still under warranty - Omega decided to replace the clasp. Once replaced I guess I'm going to periodically check the screws ...

Can’t believe it happened twice. Very strange. I’ve had a great experience so far with my seamaster, but as others have said, it can happen. I work in a manufacturing plant and sometimes it’s just bad luck. Human error, machine tolerance stackup etc etc it can and does happen. I hope it has not sullied your opinion of a great brand
So many QC issues with this watch, I’ve just learnt to deal with it. I’ve had issues with the clasp and a misaligned hour hand on the example I purchased.

My AD is awesome, they offered two separate replacement watches right from the display case. I refused both, as one had a severely misaligned bezel and the other had a HE valve that, when closed, wasn’t flush with the case (it looked half open).

I realize I’m a more pedantic customer, and all manufactured goods have error margins, but thought I would share my experiences. Still love Omega and the customer service though!

I hope it has not sullied your opinion of a great brand

I’d be lying if I said it didn’t make me think a little less of Omega, but it’s possible that I started out with expectations that were too high. Still love the brand, which was the one that first drew me into this hobby. I’m without any Omegas at the moment, but am eyeing some vintage pieces.

Rolex has its share of qc issues too, of course. I think if you want truly impeccable watchmaking you have to go with a high-end brand. And not many of us have that kind of expendable income. 😀 I did have a VC for a year or so and it was definitely on another level.

They all have issues. Read about the Rolex 32xx movement problems. Rolex still has not resolved the issue after a few years. I have the SMP 300 chronograph for 1.5 years and the clasp has been rock solid. Love the extension buttons since my wrist can fluctuate in size several times a day. It is the perfect watch of when I travel to hot, wet, humid places and if something happens to the watch no biggie.

Well, it looks like I have joined the S.S.C.C., or the Seamaster Stuck Clasp Club. The button on the left side of my Seamaster 300m bracelet suddenly stuck and the clasp won’t open. Thankfully it was not on my wrist. The watch is about six weeks old, so I need to head over to the AD for resolution. In the meantime, I’ll gladly wear it on the stock rubber strap or a NATO.

Is the same design used on Speedmaster clasps? Odd that Omega can't figure out why these clasps are failing and fix the design.

Is the same design used on Speedmaster clasps? Odd that Omega can't figure out why these clasps are failing and fix the design.

Mostly anecdotal (based on my experience, twice-over), but also supported by what others have said here on OF: I think there is a "known fix," and presumably the vast majority of these clasps don't end up failing. The issue appears to be that a significant number of faulty units were produced and sold, and Omega/Swatch did not recall them, so they're still circulating out there waiting to fail. This seems especially bad when it comes to all of the units that didn't sell but are just sitting on AD/OB shelves or back-stock---you kinda wish Omega would at least recall/replace those units. My original watch came fresh from an AD---clasp failed. My first replacement came from back-stock at the same AD: an unsold watch they'd had sitting in their stock for a while---clasp failed. The second replacement (as I understand it) came direct from Omega, and my guess is that it's just fine, wherever it is, with its new owner. (Like I said earlier, I traded in the watch once the second replacement clasp arrived; I didn't want to risk going through all of that again.)

It's a real shame that Omega clearly knows about this issue (my AD specifically told me so) and hasn't adequately addressed it, instead leaving it to their customers to handle on an emergent, case-by-case basis. I find it hard to believe that the company doesn't have a list of affected date-codes/serials that it could use to notify those with potentially faulty clasps. It's just bad customer service: there's no two ways about it.

If I owned a SMP300c that was headed to Swatch for service, I'd be sure to add a note asking the tech to look into whether my clasp was in the affected range (even if it hadn't failed yet); if so, I'd request a free replacement from a newer batch, just to be safe.

Not sure if the Speedies are affected by this too. I think I've only heard of it wrt to Seamasters, but the basic design seems to be the same.

Mostly anecdotal (based on my experience, twice-over), but also supported by what others have said here on OF: I think there is a "known fix," and presumably the vast majority of these clasps don't end up failing. The issue appears to be that a significant number of faulty units were produced and sold, and Omega/Swatch did not recall them, so they're still circulating out there waiting to fail. This seems especially bad when it comes to all of the units that didn't sell but are just sitting on AD/OB shelves or back-stock---you kinda wish Omega would at least recall/replace those units. My original watch came fresh from an AD---clasp failed. My first replacement came from back-stock at the same AD: an unsold watch they'd had sitting in their stock for a while---clasp failed. The second replacement (as I understand it) came direct from Omega, and my guess is that it's just fine, wherever it is, with its new owner. (Like I said earlier, I traded in the watch once the second replacement clasp arrived; I didn't want to risk going through all of that again.)

It's a real shame that Omega clearly knows about this issue (my AD specifically told me so) and hasn't adequately addressed it, instead leaving it to their customers to handle on an emergent, case-by-case basis. I find it hard to believe that the company doesn't have a list of affected date-codes/serials that it could use to notify those with potentially faulty clasps. It's just bad customer service: there's no two ways about it.

If I owned a SMP300c that was headed to Swatch for service, I'd be sure to add a note asking the tech to look into whether my clasp was in the affected range (even if it hadn't failed yet); if so, I'd request a free replacement from a newer batch, just to be safe.

Not sure if the Speedies are affected by this too. I think I've only heard of it wrt to Seamasters, but the basic design seems to be the same.

No watch company does "recalls" so that expectation is just way out of line with this industry.

No watch company does "recalls" so that expectation is just way out of line with this industry.

Touché. But seeing as this issue leads to watches getting stuck on people's wrists, you'd think a courtesy notice or a free replacement (to be handled by the AD/OB) wouldn't be out of line. And if they know there are flawed units still yet-to-be-sold, why wouldn't they at least address those prior to sale? But you're right, the industry doesn't hold itself to that standard. (The Rolex 32-- movements attest to this too.)

Anyway, the solution for me was pretty simple: I ditched the watch and won't buy another. The clasp on the Aqua Terra was problem-free, and there are plenty of strap-bearing Omegas to choose from.