Forums Latest Members
  1. Hfdcowboy Nov 14, 2019

So I bought the moon watch, my first omega, and I sourced an aftermarket strap I feel in love with and I love the combo. Should I spring for the omega deployant clasp or is there a better option price vs quality that I need to look at?

Any advice would help thx

20191109_125232.jpg
    mjb and 03Hemi like this.
  2. Dan S Nov 14, 2019

Personally I'm not a fan of the Omega deployant, and find standard butterfly clasps more comfortable and secure. However, I'm sure some people love them, so it's probably a matter of personal taste. Since the Omega clasps are quite expensive (i.e. overpriced), it would be nice if you could try one on before purchasing to make sure you're happy with it.

03Hemi likes this.
  3. Donn Chambers Nov 14, 2019

an Omega deployant likely wouldn’t fit that strap — the required straps become quite thin at the ends in order to fit in the mechanism. While I do like the Omega deployant and the straps that fit it, I wear quite a few standard straps as well with a tang. One issue with the deployant is that it makes the portion under the wrist a little thicker. It also tends to look a little dressier, so I wear a more rugged strap (like the one you picture) with a tang buckle when I want to dress the watch down.

Frankly, for the strap you picture, I think a standard tang buckle would look more appropriate. But it you do want a deployant, an aftermarket butterfly deployant would work.

03Hemi likes this.
  4. 03Hemi Nov 14, 2019

I would if I had spent the money on an OEM strap (which I have, but deeply discounted) to keep the value up, but I'd be looking for it NOS or second hand on ebay (like I'm doing) for the clasp and let somebody else eat the high end price. If you're gonna use an aftermarket strap, then what's the point of keeping the clasp OEM? There's a lot of great aftermarket stuff out there, but I can only see keeping OEM to OEM making sense. Maybe you want the OEM clasp now and the OEM strap later? A lot of choices out there for sure. Love the Speedy.

5. Bugbait Nov 14, 2019

Agree with 03Hemi, OEM strap with OEM deployant else no point really. All of my watches except one (cheap silicon strap with tang and buckle for sport) uses a deployant clasp of some kind. I like the clean look and practicality of them since I often remove my watches several times a day for washing up, etc.

6. Hfdcowboy Nov 14, 2019

Quality is my number one priority, but I do appreciate value. If I find an OEM strap that I like I would probably buy it.

As I am not concerned with the aftermarket strap failing I think im concerned about the clasp potentially failing.

I am not opposed to an aftermarket clasp I was wondering if anyone had a brand they had experience with.

Thx

7. 03Hemi Nov 14, 2019

Keep a "vigilant" eye out on ebay for ORIGINAL/AUTHENTIC Omega clasp or strap because they pop up there NOS or used/never used at a great price at times. That's how I got mine, with a million views of crap first.

8. alam Nov 14, 2019

Congrats!

Good move :thumbsup: you will find far better selection and excellent quality straps in the aftermarket world -- and, at more competitive prices than Omega straps.

I'm a huge fan of Omega deployants. I have three of my watches fitted with them. I find their fit super comfortable coupled with a well-crafted design and top-notch quality.

Personally, I would not cut corners for your clasp option and highly recommend getting the real thing from Omega. I don’t have any experience with aftermarket clasps but IMO, this is one of those things that you'll get what you pay for.

As Dan said, many don't like their fit and I would echo the suggestion of trying one before spending some hard-earned big bucks.

Now, this thread is lacking pictures...let’s fix this right now :)

6A2A75A0-BA84-48AB-953C-C86B4B607E67.jpeg 1C9E1655-3DB7-40DA-9DF4-CB56D7AB4748.jpeg
  9. Stufflers Mom Nov 14, 2019

I knew I was doing this the wrong way around, I've got the strap but no watch as yet.:)

P1200829.JPG

Owlsu likes this.
  10. Huus Nov 14, 2019

Try Bob Davis at www.mywatchmaker.net in the US. His own design lock/closure and the best butterfly clasp I have come across.

11. Burrogs Nov 15, 2019

I'll second the RHD Deployant clasps from Bob Davis. I got one for my BandR strap and it's awesome.

12. Hfdcowboy Nov 15, 2019

Thanks for the input, that's a beutiful watch..

13. Hfdcowboy Nov 15, 2019

Thanks for all the recommendations, you guys are awesome

14. absherman13 Nov 15, 2019

Agree with those who've recommended the Omega clasp -- I have one on my SMP (not wearing it today unfortunately, so no pix right now) with the Silver Snoopy strap and I love it. I've even thought about getting an aftermarket horween leather strap to use the same clasp with my Railmaster '57... but that's a different story.

15. 140dave Nov 15, 2019

Newbie question: can you add a deployant clasp like this to any watch strap or only to certain styles? I have a Hirsch Mariner w/buckle and tang that I would like to replace with a deployant.

16. Stufflers Mom Nov 15, 2019

It shouldn't really work, as a strap with a tang buckle will usually be shorter from 12 than 6, but a strap with a deployant clasp is longer from 12 if that makes sense.

17. Huus Nov 15, 2019

I just google pictures the Hirsch Mariner strap and the deployants butterfly clasps are made for that type of strap, no worries. A perfect fit. You just need to know the width of the strap at the buckle end when ordering and you 're on your way.

18. Evitzee Nov 15, 2019

I've never had any problem using an after market deployant buckle with a strap that originally had a tang buckle.

19. Huus Nov 15, 2019

I know what you mean, but that is the case for a fold over clasp like the Omega type. I have several straps supplied with tang buckles that I have replaced with Butterfly deployant clasps and they work great. The clasp sit centered on the inside of the wrist. I am wearing my Sub on a RubberB right now as I am typing this and no issues. I also have an Everest for sale on the forum here at the moment with a HedleyRoma butterfly clasp on it, also the perfect fit.

20. 140dave Nov 15, 2019

Thanks for the answers!