Forums Latest Members
  1. Omegafanman Apr 5, 2019

CK2495-8 /265 manual winding sub-second 1950 … Interested in what people think of this ones conditon.
    Seeing the level of knowledge and the number people with an excellent eye on here I am a bit hesitant to do this….but here goes and this is my first watch I am putting up for a potential roasting. I know it is not perfect but I love it anyway. I wanted a vintage sub-second 30mm for a while and there is a back story so I am happy with it.
    I am very interested to know what people think plus any extra information on the history. Of course pictures of any long-lost relatives also welcome :0).Thanks in advance.

01.JPG 02.JPG 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06.JPG 07.jpg 08 (2).JPG 09.jpg P1270067.JPG
    Edited Apr 7, 2019
    red crowned likes this.
  2. Omegafanman Apr 7, 2019

Small bump.... any feedback on the watch appreciated

3. Omegafanman Apr 7, 2019

Small bump...……. any feedback and thoughts on this watch really appreciated...I am heavy on research but I don't have an eye for detail or enough knowledge when a watch is in front of me.

4. ChrisN Apr 7, 2019

Not sure I can add much but @François Pépin is usually pretty good with these.

I don't have a "Fab. Suisse" dial myself but I had one in a year or two ago and looking at the pictures, the fonts are similar - it was an auto so the sizes were a little different. The dial on your one looks like it's suffered a little and I'm not sure about the hands.

The movement looks clean and complete although there may be some corrosion where the case back fits? I wouldn't wear it with that case back sticker on if I were you - it can trap perspiration and can do more harm than good.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers, Chris

Omegafanman likes this.
  5. 77deluxe Apr 7, 2019

I’m too unfamiliar with the Fab Suisse dial to comment on the dial, but personally I think it is a great looking watch.

Omegafanman likes this.
  6. Omegafanman Apr 8, 2019

@ChrisN and @77deluxe
    Thanks for the feedback - I was drawn to the watch as I liked the look and wanted a 265 movement. I am also hopeful it is a fairly honest example but that is more luck than judgment. I did have to get a new crown but I am hoping it is complimentary. Thanks again and I will drop a note to @François Pépin. When looking into all this I was surprised that a CK2605 (266) popped up in the recent first man film. Not sure of the link but happy to see sub-seconds on the big screen.

7. François Pépin Nov 4, 2020

Hi,

Sorry to answer only now. I was away from the forum for a whole...

The dial looks genuine to me. As these kind of dial, with “Fab Suisse”, were designed for the French market, I would have respect the watch to have been sold in France, and not Switzerland, but I do not think it is a big deal.

Regardes,
    François

ChrisN, Omegafanman and Rudi99 like this.
  8. Omegafanman Nov 7, 2020

Hello François - Many thanks for the reply - I appreciate the extra information and I am happy that the watch looks to be a clean example.

9. Essenbob Nov 7, 2020

I am new to the forum, my first post, and new to Omega watches. I bought my first one 3 months ago and as it is so similar to yours I thought I would send the images. I have purchased a few now but realised there is so much to learn I shall not be leaping into the dark again, I hope!

If anyone wants to comment, good or bad on the images please do. I already know the photography falls short of poor amateur standards, another thing to work on. OFS-1.jpg OFS-2.jpg OFS-3.jpg OSF-4.jpg

Flip and Omegafanman like this.
  10. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 7, 2020

Interesting that. I can't see why a Dennison cased UK market watch would need to follow the French conventions of 'Fab Suisse', I've never seen another Dennison cased model like that. I wonder if the dial was changed at some point. Or perhaps it was made specifically for export to France, but I doubt that to be honest, the whole point of using Dennison cases was to cater for the UK domestic market. I've had 3 x 13322s and none had that dial text.

Flip likes this.
  11. Essenbob Nov 7, 2020

I dont want to steal this thread, so just a short response
    I was aware of Fab Suisse requirement form other products, the law that introduced it is still in place but French import tolerance and marketing decisions has allowed it to not be used. From other products so marked, they could end up in many other countries than France, metal toys for example sold to England direct from Switzerland. My other thought, as it was just after WW2 it could have bought in France by a military man who desired a gold case and got that done on his return to the UK.

Flip likes this.
  12. Rudi99 Nov 8, 2020

Hey Essenbob, welcome to the forum.

Nice watch! I think the dial looks really nice.

One thing I found odd though, and maybe the more experienced members might step in and throw some light on:

In golden looking cases, I believe there must be also golden hands and furniture, no?

The inverted situation, with a SS case and golden furniture and hands is completely normal, but I thought SS furniture and hands + golden case would be an indicator for franken?

Wishing everyone a great Sunday.

Omegafanman likes this.
  13. Omegafanman Nov 8, 2020

I like your watch - not sure about the hands but equally I would rather see a nice franken or a redial than loose a watch to the scrap heap (I am in a minority there I think). Have you thought about getting an extract from the archives?
    There is some good info on Dennison and imported movements here:-

https://omegaforums.net/threads/1959-dennison-omega.6975/

Also a nice site on the 30mm movement;-
    http://squelettewatches.com/chronometres-30mm/

Your serial number looks to be 1947. But I did see other info that the 265 movement and the location of the serial number on your watch points to 1949 - Hopefully someone better informed will chime in.

Flip likes this.
  14. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 8, 2020

Its got a date letter in the caseback but I can't read it (could it be a Y?). Be aware Birmingham and I think some other Assay Offices used to change their date letter on 1st July so the letter actually straddles 2 years, 6 months in each. I too would think a 11.6m movement serial is circa 1949. The case and movement were of course made separately so might not match in date exactly.

Edited Nov 8, 2020
    Flip, Omegafanman and MtV like this.
  15. François Pépin Dec 18, 2020

Hi,

The dial looks genuine to me, but it clearly cannot go with a Dennison case. So it is some kind of a Franken. But you still have nice parts here, that you can use for projects or sell.