Chronograph Suisse

I have read again your post to answer you ans saw the caliber was already there : Landeron 48 it is !

Considering the condition I would say around 200 euros, maybe 300 as it has been serviced.

Cannot say the year, but around the 1940s.

Just a remark: your watch looks very good, maybe a little bit too good... The case and/or the case could be a later replacement - but looks genuine.

To me, everything about this chrono looks correct and in perfect condition. If I'm right about that, I think it's worth more than 300 euros as they hardly ever show up like this. NOS or near-NOS always commands a premium. I could be wrong about the watch and even if I'm not, the problem is a) determining that it's all original, as there are some frighteningly good redials about, and then b) convincing a potential buyer that it's original.

Thanks Edward,
I have checked chrono24 and found an identical piece - http://www.chrono24.com/chronograph...vintage-chrono-in-stahlversion--id5759053.htm

This would hopefully indicate that it is not a restored dial and indeed fully original, I was just a bit nervous about the piece as it is immaculate and indeed hard to come by in this condition.

The watch on chrono24 is going for $1,800+ so I'm quietly confident that my watch is definitely over 300 euros.

I would like to try and track this model through the Chronograph Suisse history/archives, if anyone can help direct me to any links that can help me determine the authenticity then please share.

Many thanks
Jay

There is no archive. Chronographe Suisse literally just means Swiss chronograph. They were originally a group of manufacturers who assembled watches to tourists who wanted a Swiss made watch and also sold some private label. Most of the time they were cheap and used thin cases, but some examples are decent quality.

Don't think so as I haven't seen any cases signed. @SpeedTar above has an example with similar dial to yours. Have you checked yours under a loupe? I really wouldn't worry too much - dial looks nice, case is unique. Wear it and enjoy it!

Here's another example I've seen. At first glance, seemed pretty nice, but upon further inspection, the case was pretty thin and cheap

Wow this was a really interesting thread to read. Now it’s 2019 and everything is still relevant.

It is 2019 I paid 1398 singapore dollars like it very much so far... I had been wanting a "gold" watch for some time I started changing the base metal parts with gold ones! I like to make thinks... so it may be cost prohibitive for the non do it yourselfer . So far inner case ring casted out of 20 with matching dust cover, next project is setting rubies ...Very tiny in the inner movement ring all around it... I think ill put 17 natural baby rubies in it . Why... I don't know... Also thinking of using a type of dentist amalgam inside the lugs to beef them up a bit 18k or better, like how they do dentist fillings with mercury with liquid gold. I think I already own the worlds most expensive chonographe Suisse it has the 20 karat movement ring and dust cover , they weigh 16.803 grams alone. I want to do the dial ring in gold as well but I am looking for a 18k deployment first.
Well people do weird things sometimes... so I am learning how to set gemstones. I think a solid gold bridge would look handsome with a diamond set in it .

I would like to give this old thread some life. I just recently purchased a Chronographe Suisse and have really been enjoying the watch put a new hirsch strap on it.
Keeps excellent time. Nice modern size at 38 mm.

Hello!

I just found this watch in my dad's wallet, and I am interested in her history. I am not interested in its value (I know it was cheap, I really enjoy the design), I am curious about this specific one with no brand on top of the dial, maybe a prototype or something which didn't pass all the tests to be sold :D

Thank you if you may know something!

IMG_6821.jpg

There is no archive. Chronographe Suisse literally just means Swiss chronograph. They were originally a group of manufacturers who assembled watches to tourists who wanted a Swiss made watch and also sold some private label. Most of the time they were cheap and used thin cases, but some examples are decent quality.

See above.

It is not a prototype. It is similar to the other watches in this thread. Landeron movement most likely.

I cannot tell if it is solid gold, gold plated or steel.
gatorcpa

Then it is likely hollow. The gold is so thin, it can be crushed by your hands. There should be a brass dust cover that is a critical part of the integrity of the case.

Do not lose that dust cover.
gatorcpa

Please do take the warnings about how soft the cases can be on these seriously. I have warped the case on one when I was heavy handed removing some female spring bars.

Don't think so as I haven't seen any cases signed. @SpeedTar above has an example with similar dial to yours. Have you checked yours under a loupe? I really wouldn't worry too much - dial looks nice, case is unique. Wear it and enjoy it!

Here's another example I've seen. At first glance, seemed pretty nice, but upon further inspection, the case was pretty thin and cheap
Realy nice watch !

on reading the comments I find I agree the statements that they are fragile however I have two and I find that only one is flimsy the black one with vertical .......The other one is substantially more robust .I purchased them both at a antiques fair in Exeter 1999 I Paid over the odds for it £825.00 because It was a "must have" the black one I paid £155.00 I dont regret paying over top I admired it and have worn it at least Monthly for the last 23 years .I find they are on the whole well designed watches .they are posted on page 3
I would like to know if they are both landeron movements if you can respond please

They both look like Venus movements to me.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&Venus_170

Look for Venus star in cloud logo and caliber number “170” on regulator bridge.

upload_2022-5-30_11-0-20.png

Landeron cal. 48 movements can be found here:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&Landeron_48

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa
thanks for info the black face clearly shows the venus logo & 170 but the other has no markings
i have added clearer images but it is very similar to the landeron 48 see attached