Forums Latest Members
  1. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Nov 19, 2015

They are cheap watches and consequently often come with little money invested in maintenance.

I've owned 3 (on branded a Titus, which was a wee bit sturdier) but will never buy another one because they are too brittle.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    thelinendial and Florent like this.
  2. Illiknight Nov 19, 2015

I've had 2 come my way and returned them both. While they were both quite stunning to look at, they are so light they felt like a toy watch on my wrist that I was afraid if I hit into something would explode. (My very first Bradley Mickey Mouse windup kids watch fro the 70s was literally heavier!)

One of them (with the more sought after black dial in excellent condition) literally had a hole in the inside of one of the lugs that the seller insisted he "didn't see," :whipped: but what I could see from the hole was just how paper thin the gold really is. I was new to collecting at the time and immediately realized I had way overpaid for both of them. Nonetheless, as pretty as they were it only took me about 10 mins to decide they had to go back.

SpeedTar likes this.
  3. Skridlov Sep 22, 2016

Chrono_Suisse-9220002.jpg Omega_1-9220004.jpg Omega_bumper-9220005.jpg Hi everyone - first post here. Also, to confess, I'm not a "real" collector although I have a few pieces. Since retirement such purchases are a bit too painful.
    Thanks for the info about the Chronograph Suisse models. It pretty much sums up my assumptions about these watches (I've had 2). The one I still have was a gift to my late father a couple of years before he died - a big gold lump the like of which he could only have dreamed about earlier in his life. Anyway it's retained for sentimental reasons although I almost never wear it on the grounds that (a) it's ostentatious and (b) someone might think it's worth mugging me for it. However it is in nearly faultless condition. I'm appending a quick snap which could be better if I'd bothered to use a macro lens and spent a few minutes setting something up. But I've seen worse.
    To add a little to my Omega credibility (thin) I've also posted a couple of snaps of two Omegas that I've had for a long time, more than 25 years in the case of the plain model; it's had a couple of balance staffs since that time... The bumper is quite nice in real life context but the dial's looking a bit raggedy in a big CU.
    I have a few other bits and pieces which I may post in another thread in case I have something better than I though (one Glashutte pre-war chrome plated may be.)
    Anyway, finding the forum has tweaked my dormant watch enthusiasms. I'm making a big move next year and so may have funds to indulge again then.
    Roy

Severin likes this.
  4. Edward53 Sep 22, 2016

Welcome onboard Roy. The chronograph looks stunning.

5. McLeod1 Dec 31, 2016

Bring up an older thread here, but I have a CS that my father had put away after he got back from the war. So it had been in storage since about 1946 ( give or take a year ) so it is in good condition and works fine. What I'm curious about is that it has the o.750 stamp, a 103 stamp, but then it has the number 9 stamped into it as well.
    Any idea as to what the 9 stands for ?

IMG_20161017_211419.jpg IMG_20161017_210558.jpg

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 1, 2017

Dunno about the other stamps but the one that matters says 18k gold. Yours had the North South dials which are rarer than the E-W. nice watch.

7. François Pépin Jan 1, 2017

Probably a Venus 170 movement, so not exactly the same kind of watches than the Chronographes suisses above, which have Landerons. But your case seems to be like those, probably with an internal cover in a non gold metal.

Seems to be a nice watch! I like the blue steel hands these watches usually have. Not sure with your pics, but your watches seems to have this kind of hands as well.

8. McLeod1 Jan 1, 2017

Hi,
    Yes they have the dark Blue hands. Sorry for the poor quality pictures, but the hands really pop the dark blue when the light hits them the right way. Looking at it most of the time you'd think they all were black. I haven't had the chance to take in to my watch maker yet so when I do, hopefully will have some answers.

9. McLeod1 Jan 1, 2017

Found out that some watchmakers actually stamped there watches in order, so, as of yet I'm not sure the age of this watch, being stamped 9,, but assuming some just didn't survive for whatever reason etc etc, if this theory is correct, this maybe a early model....Just assuming but little to go on or read about.

10. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 1, 2017

I agree with some of what is stated above, these were built to a price for the export market and some are very flimsy indeed with less gold content that you would imagine. That said, some are more sturdy than others. These seem to come in a range of sizes and the larger ones (37-38mm) seem to hold up better in my experience, I think these may also have sturdier lugs, possibly not hollow. Yes there are drawbacks but where else are you going to get a solid gold 1940/50s (late 30s in some cases) chronograph for the money these are available for ie circa £600/$750? Here is mine, 18K rose gold, which I really like:

IMG_5807.jpg IMG_5806.jpg

Edited Jan 1, 2017
    thelinendial and McLeod1 like this.
  11. McLeod1 Jan 1, 2017

Very nice watch, Like the dial with the gold hands !
    Being in storage, mine could use a definite cleaning, and undecided as to whether a small polish to brighten it up a touch. Will definitely state not to touch dial. Definite pros and cons for a watch to sit untouched for 70 years or so

12. McLeod1 Jan 17, 2017

The chrono Suisse, which is in for cleaning and light polish plus to have the glass/plastic reglued as it has become oxidized and dried out after being in safety deposit box since 1946, I just found out today that the inside cover that I see on most is metal, well, turns out it is stamped 18k as well, so he informed me he's lightly polishing it as well. I know little about these watches, so can someone tell me if this is common or some what rare.....kinda curious.....
    Thanks
    p.s. inside pictures to follow as soon as I can pick up watch, I never thought to ask movement but assuming it's a 170

13. cchen Feb 1, 2017

Here's another CS I saw a few months ago but passed on, also with a Venus movement. It seemed sturdier than the run of the mill CS's

IMG_3229.JPG
    McLeod1 likes this.
  14. SpeedTar Feb 1, 2017

Decent chronographs at decent price IMO. I have this one in chrome plate case and 37mm. Powered by a Landeron 149. Works really fine when it is well serviced (as mentioned earlier in this forum).

20151111_115437.jpg

Perfect combo to me : 37-38mm, rose gold or stainless steel & serviced movement (venus 175 for example => column wheel!)

McLeod1 likes this.
  15. gr8sw Feb 9, 2017

here's a couple I've owned in silver metal, the first with extra fancy lugs! ;-)

40'sChrono.JPG 50'sDial.jpg

Edited Feb 9, 2017
    McLeod1 likes this.
  16. ChilliChips Feb 25, 2017

Hi Everyone,
    I have just purchased the watch in the pics, unfortunately i have no idea on the model number, year of birth etc for this piece.

If anyone has any info on this watch it would be much appreciated. I purchased this because it was apparently vintage and in absolute mint condition so thought it could be something special.

for all i know it could be a fake because the condition seems far too good to be vintage but if anyone can confirm the authenticity and value of this watch, obviously I have no box or papers.

Here is the description of the watch given when i bought it:

Hand winding Landeron 48 fully serviced, (not aware of which Caliber)
    Vintage 60's
    Condition: excellent
    Hand winding movement Landeron 48, is in great condition, has been fully serviced and works fine with accuracy.
    All chronograph functions working perfectly.
    Water resistance have not been tested.
    The case is stainless steel, with nice fancy lugs (art deco) and 1-2 tiny scratches, overall in excellent condition.
    The back cover is perfectly clear.
    The dial is original authentic, in excellent condition.
    Hands, crown, pushers are All original, in excellent condition.

Dimensions: diameter is 37.00 mm excluding the crown.
    Lug to lug is 45.00 mm and between lugs 18.00 mm.
    New high quality leather strap 19 cm long. Unusual steel buckle.

This watch in this condition is extremely rare and collectible.
    Perfect condition

Looking forward to your feedback.

CS1.jpg CS2.jpg CS4.jpg CS5.jpg CS6.jpg CS7.jpg CS8.jpg CS14.jpg CS17.jpg CS20.jpg

Many Thanks
    Jay

17. François Pépin Feb 25, 2017

It is a Landeron, likely a 48.

18. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Feb 25, 2017

This piece is certainly a CS in everything but the badge. It is a little heavier than a gold plated Brietling chrono of a similar size but not by much. While the caseback is like foil I would be surprised if the lugs on this one are hollow - the watch feels fairly substantial.

I have to say I like the movement a lot; It keeps great time and the pushers are buttery smooth. The Landeron 48 surprised me at first in that the lower pusher stops and resets the chrono function.

Jolus L 48_022517 5575.jpg
    Jolus L 48_022517 5585.jpg

19. François Pépin Feb 25, 2017

Yes, Landeron are reliable movements. The L47 and just after the L48 were the first chrono with cames instead of a column wheel. This pusher system is the classic one for these Landeron.

20. ChilliChips Feb 25, 2017

Can someone suggest how much my watch above would be worth and from what decade would it be born?

Rgds
    J