Forums Latest Members
  1. abrod520 Mar 3, 2016

I'm looking into buying a tool to change out the chrono pusher tubes ( / full assembly perhaps) on one of my Speedmasters, but while eBay and Amazon have been reliable sources for tools for low-level watch work, I can't seem to find one there. Can someone recommend a model (preferably not super-expensive) in the correct size for Speedmaster Professional screw-in-type pushers? Thanks!

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 3, 2016

Could try something like this..

https://mccawcompany.com/horotec-remove-fitting-pusher-tool.html

There are tools for removing only, and ones like this one for removing and fitting.

I've experimented on cheap crappy stuff and I don't think I'd try it on any of my speedies. There are potential issues that could result in a trip to the watchmaker anyway, so, why bother?

3. abrod520 Mar 3, 2016

It sounds like that's for push-in-type pushers? I think screw-in pushers are easier to deal with as you only need a specialized screwdriver-type tool... which is what I'm unable to find!
    Something like in the below video:

Jerry Zuniga likes this.
  4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 3, 2016

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 3, 2016

6. abrod520 Mar 3, 2016

Thanks, I had found both those sites actually but I just can't find the proper size for the Speedmaster Pro... maybe it's best to have a watchmaker do it after all. Thanks!

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 3, 2016

For the Bergeron ones, it's the red or blue, depending on which speedy.. I bought some, used them once and then took the watch to the watch maker..

8. Concorde Mar 3, 2016

Bergeon 5901-P27, is the red.

9. Concorde Mar 3, 2016

10. abrod520 Mar 3, 2016

Thanks!

If you don't mind me asking, what about it didn't work? Seems easy enough if you're patient <<< famous last words though

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 3, 2016

I found that taking things apart is easy, but getting them back together, less so. Th clearance between the stem of the pusher and the 'part-of-the-movement-it-pushes-into-to-activate-the-chrono-functions' (that's a technical term) are very small. I couldn't get a pusher I removed to fit when putting it back together. Maybe I swapped the top one for the bottom one, I dunno, but it was enough for me to give up as I don't really want to mess up a multi-thousand dollar watch, even a crappy one.

..and all I wanted to do was be able to toss the case in the ultrasonic cleaner once in a while..

12. Concorde Mar 3, 2016

I always prefer do this kind of easy job myself, because my watchmaker does not care to make it a tiny scratch.

13. abrod520 Mar 3, 2016

Along my way of thinking. Useful knowledge! I'd be pretty bummed in that situation... I'll have to think these things over.

Well it's you vs Oddboy here :p You haven't had any difficulties putting them all back together?

14. wsfarrell Mar 3, 2016

I have this tool, and it works perfectly on screw-in pushers---I've used it on several Speedies from '69 to '88. Not cheap. I'll PM you and perhaps lend it out.

15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 3, 2016

It may very well be a matter of experience. If I had been buying speedies 6-7 years ago (for a lot less than I'm paying now) I may have been more adventurous.. I just don't want to be a @ffej4 cause that didn't end well...

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2016

For screw in pushers there's a red one, a blue one and a yellow one . I've used the red and blue on Speedys

[​IMG]

Ofrei.

Eve likes this.
  17. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 3, 2016

The red one or the blue one (it's not the yellow one)

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 4, 2016

I use this for press in case tubes mostly, not chronograph pushers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes the P27 is the one you will use the most:

[​IMG]

Don't forget the Loctite, and don't forget the Titanium washer...

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

Eve, abrod520 and oddboy like this.
  19. abrod520 Mar 4, 2016

Thanks Al, appreciate your weighing in here.

In the case of Loctite - will I have trouble removing the pusher tubes in the first place, assuming they've been properly sealed with Loctite?

And the titanium washer - is this something I'll need to pick up separately, or something that's already on the pusher assembly that I need to keep particularly close track of?

All in all, give it to me straight - is this something I really shouldn't attempt?

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 4, 2016

I have never had any trouble removing the screwed in pusher tubes using this tool - they have Loctite applied at the factory per Omega specs, and the tool provides plenty of torque to break it without using heat.

Each new pusher will come with the Ti washer, and it goes between the case and pusher tube. You can see it in this photo - it is in a small bubble of it's own beside the pusher in the package, at least with this particular pusher:

[​IMG]

You do need to look closely at the case to make sure the old washer is not stuck in the shallow recess where the tube threads in, as sometimes they get stuck there and you don't want to use 2 or the pusher will stick out too far.

Also, when you disassemble the new pushers for installation, Omega recommends putting a very small amount of Loctite (I use blue rather than red) on the threads of the pusher cap, to help keep the pusher screw from backing out and the cap from getting lost.a

Regarding if you should try this or not, well I have no way to judge your abilities. All I can say is this is not complex to do, but there is certainly risk involved - more with potential damage to the movement, dial, and hands when you take the movement out than with the case or pushers. If in doubt, leave it to a professional.

If you try it yourself, let us know how you make out.

Cheers, Al