Forums Latest Members

Chrono 24 Speedmaster japan to UK ??

1. JesterP Oct 13, 2019

Hi Chaps I hope someone has more experience to help me. I have found a Speedy Rising Sun Tokyo 2020 and fairly happy with the price on C24. I have never used this before and wonder if the import duty, insurance, vat and postage is just going to make a good price look bad. I understand that I'm best using escrow which is fine and the process looks ok with holding funds etc but any advise would be greatly appreciated. Or am I better looking at flight plans for Japan?::shy::

2. scapa Oct 13, 2019

I’ve used C24 to Canada and been very happy with the service overall, but would suggest you use a duty calculator tool before pulling the trigger. In my case, import into CA added between 14-19% to the overall landed price, once taxes, duties and brokerage were factored in. In my case it still worked out as a reasonable deal, but with a few extra % points it wouldn’t have.

Edited Oct 13, 2019
    JesterP likes this.
  3. djmusicman Oct 13, 2019

Yep, the VAT and import duty will add around 25% to the price. Parcel pro and secursus are the friends you need because they would enable you to decouple the shipping and the insurance. Ask if the dealer would be willing to insure the watch separetely using one of these services.

4. JesterP Oct 13, 2019

Ok thanks but what would I gain from decoupling the shipping and insurance ? Do you mean that I wouldn't pay vat and duty charges on the full amount and just the price of the watch? Sorry but my experience is very limited with overseas purchasing.

5. djmusicman Oct 13, 2019

The insurance and declared value have to match if you insure with the shipping company. If you insure separetely you can declare whatever you like to the shipping company. You pay VAT and duty based upon the declared value. (sorry Boris ;)).

JesterP likes this.
  6. JesterP Oct 13, 2019

I like what your saying DJ. Now your talking my language wink wink nudge nudge. I will have a chat with the dealer and see how I get on. I'm just not keen on paying a massive premium when a little homework might save a few quid. Thanks for the help:thumbsup:

7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 13, 2019

Just remember that if anything happens to the watch in transit, and you requested it be covered for less than full value, the seller will not be on the hook for making you whole.

stevec14 likes this.
  8. JesterP Oct 14, 2019

Quite right. In fairness even the dealer wants to do it correctly and I cant blame him for that. I may talk hard about saving on costs but doing the deal is a bit different in practice. Might be best leaving it really I'm not going to save much for a long winded purchase. Shame it's a lovely watch but not paying double because of geography

9. percymon Oct 14, 2019

You should look up the customs tariff calculator - it typically adds 20-24% to the cost of the item. From recollection there is a lower import tax for mechanical items (perhaps classed personal mechanical devices ?) than automatics, so its imperative the seller marks the item correctly. You're unlikely to find a Japanese seller willing to declare a lower value than paid for the customs declaration either - they need to protect themselves and the buyer should the item be lost (unsured value etc).