Forums Latest Members

Checking the current accuracy of my watch...

1. SunTiger Jun 17, 2020

Hi guys.. Simple question here..

I have a 10 year old Sea Master 300m, never serviced (yet).. and wanted to see how it's doing. So, I started keeping track using the site time.is. I looked at my watch, unscrewed the crown and waited until the sweeping second hand stopped perfectly at "12" and stopped it. Then, set the time and waited for the exact moment the time.is site matched and pushed the crown in. I started a log, and wanted to see how it does for a week, and month etc.

So far, its been 3 days. I have made some interesting observations and want to ask..

In the first 24hrs it lost 5 seconds. This was me wearing the watch the whole time (just not in the shower). This means, I wore it to bed as well.

Then.. the next evening, I decided to lay it flat while overnight. This did in fact prevent too much more loss. In fact, by morning it had only lost 1 additional second. From there, I put the watch on.. and wore it until the next night. During the day around 3pm (when the test started) I took note, and it was now running -7sec for a full 48hrs. By that evening, it was -8sec. Again, took it off overnight resting face up.. and this morning it was the same, -8sec. Wore the watch now for a few hours and now has dropped another sec. (-9)

My point, and question is this..

I see that when I ware the watch all the time.. it looses time at a much faster rate. (well, thats probably not correct, it looses at the same rate.. but by keeping it face up at night it compensates by running faster). So, then when people say my watch is running "x" per day.. how are they suppose to measure this? For example, I plan to service the watch soon.. and I want to see a "before & after" in terms of performance. Do most people take their watch off at night? Should the watch not run any faster when face up? Again, I am not complaining at all.. (in fact so far its pretty impressive I think).. its 10 years old, with no service lol. I just want to know the basics on how this is calculated and how people are measuring the accuracy.

Thanks!

Travis

2. DSotW Jun 17, 2020

+/- 5 seconds a day seems ok to me!

I too use Time.is.

If you think about it, a watch's balance spring / wheel assembly has to deal with a lot. When you are wearing it during the day, turning your wrist in all sorts of directions, it is acted upon by the earth's gravity plus any movement of your wrist, gravity will pull it downward in different directions, depending on the orientation of the watch, if you are playing a sport, or simply knock the watch on the wall or desk by mistake, you are subjecting the watch to a lot of movement and potential shocks. So some variation should be acceptable.

How well wound the mainspring is can also have an impact in my experience, a mainspring with less force may make a watch run slower. (I have an watch running a Selitta SW-220 movement that does this).

That's just my two centimes of thought though...

Edited Jun 17, 2020
  3. Canuck Jun 17, 2020

It is unlikely that you will be able to record absolute consistency in the performance of a watch that has not been serviced for ten years. That is, in the ten years you (apparently) have owned it. You don’t tell us if you bought it new or used, and there is no way to know exactly how much prior to you acquisition it had been serviced. Or even how long it had been around since it left the factory, if you acquired it new. Thoroughly and competently serviced, you should see some improvement. As to how accurate it will be after servicing will hinge a lot on what movement is in it, and the level of accuracy the factory built into it.

4. Dan S Jun 17, 2020

Watches run at different rates in different positions.

5. SunTiger Jun 17, 2020

Thanks so much for all of the replies.

Yes, sorry... I got it new in 2010. Wedding gift. I have been the only owner, the watch has had a peaceful life so far.. looks brand new. Just never have had it serviced. I have conflicting thoughts on it.. but, now I can see it needs to be done. So, I plan on ponying up the money and sending it to Omega in the fall when this covid mess calms down. Right now, when I called they said its about 4 month turnaround.. so, I am going to wait so I can get it back a bit sooner and not be so long without my watch. EDIT. my watch has the 2500C movement in it.

6. vitriol Jun 17, 2020

Hey SunTiger, sounds like you are tracking the watches just like me:)
    'time.is' is my reference point, first I manually wind the watch up (fully) then wear the watch whole week and check the gain/loss 3 times per day, I do my best to do the check at the same/very similar hours, every 8 hours let's say.
    For the night I put the watch crown up, or crown down of face up.
    Then I put it into a spreadsheet and calculate delta(1) which is delta between 3 daily checks, and also delta(2) which is focused only on the night results when watch is resting in a various positions.
    I think this is the simplest method to do your homemade-COSC-light test (temperature and atmospheric pressure I don't care).

No, it is not a general rule, all depends on the watch/movement how it reacts to a various position, have a look here please;

This is my very consistent aka boring as hell watch which does not care much about the positions;
    2-1.jpg

and here is the watch which does not like resting in "crown down" position.
    1-1.jpg

It is probably each to their own. Some put a watch on a timegrapher, others will use apps to track the accuracy, I am not a fan of those apps as they measure an average between the days/test results, that's kinda funny method me thinks. Some other people will log the accuracy in the own tests.
    As you are already on your own log, do consider checking a delta between the various horizontal&vertical positions;)

Have fun!

7. YY77 Jun 17, 2020

That's quite extensive tracking, I don't want to put much effort into it so an app is sufficient with 2 checks a day : 7 am(after resting) and 7 pm (after wearing). Gives me enough info what I need to do to keep the zero over time.

Added pic of current accuracy with 1 check a day which averages resting position and wear over a full day.

Screenshot_20200617-201350.png Screenshot_20200617-201403.png Screenshot_20200617-202410.png
    Edited Jun 17, 2020
  8. jsducote Jun 18, 2020

Can you imagine tracking a watch so closely that if you wore it one day, you'd feel the compulsion to leave it untouched (apart from winding) face up for 4 days to cancel out the gain? Perhaps left for an additional 2 days to partially mitigate the gain from wearing it again on the 8th day and repeating 1 day on, 4 days off? And if you didn't wear it but left it face up for 2 days, then 3 days crown-up before repeating this alternate 5-day cycle?

Actually yes, I think a number of people here can imagine that. :rolleyes:

YY77 likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 18, 2020

You checked it once wearing it for a full 24 hrs. Stop there, the more you test it the more it’s going to fluctuate.

Set it and check it after a week. Just do what you usually do.
    Do the same when you get it back. That’s enough really.
    ( I have seen some members going crazy over a second or two a day over the years and most you don’t see or hear here anymore )