Forums Latest Members
  1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 29, 2013

Hi all,
    Because I haven't bought anything recently, I'm starting to get any itchy wallet, so I was looking at some cheap deployants, eg:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121092929322Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    I don't currently have any deployants, so I am interested in views:[/URL]
    - on whether people like deployants at all? And with what types of watches?
    - are there different styles/types
    - is there anything wrong with these cheap ones? Can you recommend any?

And most importantly, photos of watches with deployants!
    Thanks!

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 29, 2013

You need to go to an AD and try out an Omega deployant so you have a true basis of comparison.

3. ulackfocus May 29, 2013

Single fold deployant clasps often don't sit centered on the bottom of your wrist and can be uncomfortable. The cheap ones may not align properly and therefore not close properly, snapping open at inopportune moments. Even when made correctly, they don't click shut nearly as solid as the better ones and often have poor tolerances so their wobbly.

4. NT931 May 29, 2013

Hi Canberra,
    There are single vs double-fold types, push-button vs click types.

I have a Hadley-Roma single-fold click-type deployant clasp (as opposed to a push-button one) which I've shown in the picture.

As you can see, it illustrates the point Dennis was making - the clasp doesn't sit centrally at the bottom of the wrist, and is skewed to one side (to the right of the picture) . Also, I have a very skinny wrist (6.3") and thus the curvature of my skinny wrist is more marked, which then means the curvature of the deployant doesn't quite match, which then means it sometimes pokes my wrist (slightly uncomfortable, but tolerable).

Having said that, the H-R clasp is decent - it clicks shut reasonably well for a cheap ($20) clasp. But it definitely isn't as well-made as another Tissot deployant I have, which in turn is less robust than Omega's deployant. I guess I learned you get what you pay for!

Omega Geneve 011212 s.JPG

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 29, 2013

I have got deployants on both of my modern Zeniths - mid 90s on a bracelet and mid noughties on a strap. Both are the type where the two arms fold into the centre and both sit really comfortably on the wrist (both before and after losing 35 lbs. in weight)

6. ulackfocus May 29, 2013

That's nicknamed a butterfly deployant and they do sit much more comfortably on the bottom of the wrist.

What on your watch weighed 35 lbs???? :eek:

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 29, 2013

Another consideration is how easily and quick a deployant places the watch on your wrist. In this regard the Omegas are one of the very best.

8. Mothra May 29, 2013

I have deployants on all of my straps - single and buttterfly... The butterfly are slightly more comfortable but i don't have an issue with either - i suspect a strap will look good longer as its not being bent around the buckle every time you put it on/take it off. I've got a couple of different brands, all around the £30 mark, and they all clip in securely with no issues. One thing to watch out for - i keep ordering them the same size as the strap (i.e. Lug width) because I'm an idiot - instead of buckle width...

9. MKelley May 29, 2013

I too have deployments, both single and butterfly, on a number of my watches. It's also my opinion that deployments on leather straps extend the useful life of the leather.

10. 124watchfan May 29, 2013

RHD deployants from Bob Davis mywatchmaker.net. The double fold are most comfy. A little pricey but top notch. I've got them on a couple watches. A 6mm thick strap on a 20mm PO and a vintage dress watch 16mm. I hate buckles. They are much harder on straps.

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 29, 2013

Hmm. Thanks all. I do have very small wrists, so that might be an issue. Not easy to get to an AD - nearest one is 300km away in Sydney!

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 29, 2013

Have to say the OEM Omega deployants, as Steve mentioned are really quite exceptional. They may not be cheap but they have this level of minute precision and no rattle or play at all that you don't get with most generics.

13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 29, 2013

Having a look on eBay, some of my watches cost less than the OEM deployants!