Forums Latest Members

Change to Speedmaster Professional Bracelet?

1. JBZ Nov 1, 2017

Hello all. I have a question about the Speedy Pro bracelet that I haven't been able to answer through internet research, so I'm hoping someone here might have some insight.

I recently purchased a pre-owned 2017 sapphire sandwich Speedmaster on the crocodile strap. Subsequent to that I bought a second-hand 1958/957 screw link bracelet. However, I've been unable to install the bracelet onto the watch. I've done many bracelet changes on Speedmasters in the past, and I've never had one give me trouble like this. The spring bars won't set into the spring bar holes.

In looking at recent photos of NIB Speedmaster Professionals, it appears the design of the bracelet may have recently changed (at least the clasp has changed). So I'm wondering if the end-link design may have changed slightly so that the 1958/957 bracelet won't fit newer Professional models that come with the newer bracelet.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

And, since I'm new here, thought you'd appreciate a picture of my hesalite Speedy (haven't taken any shots of the sapphire sandwich yet) - here she is.

[​IMG]

noelekal likes this.
  2. ac921ol Nov 1, 2017

Have you tried putting the spring bar in alone (no endlinks) to make sure it fits?
    Have you lined up the endlinks without a spring bar to make sure they fit?

If both of those are fine, it could also mean a lug is a a little bent, which you might not be able to see with the naked eye but putting in just the endlinks would help figure that out

3. JBZ Nov 1, 2017

Spring bars alone fit (and they fit with the strap). I did insert the endlinks without the spring bars, and they appear to line up with the holes to the naked eye, but I suppose it's possible they are slightly off. One other thing I just thought of is that the spring bars themselves might be a little bent or damaged. That might affect bracelet installation, but still allow a more forgiving strap installation. I'll need to look at that tonight.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 1, 2017

Also if these are original Omega spring bars, you will want to make sure they are sized for bracelets and not straps - the strap spring bars are a little longer than those used for bracelets.

Cheers, Al

Shailor and Theognosis like this.
  5. JBZ Nov 1, 2017

Thanks so much Al - I'll bet that's the answer. I'll pick up some appropriate spring bars and see if that does the trick.

Appreciate the quick responses to a new member question.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 1, 2017

Just FYI - the correct part number for the 1.8 mm diameter bracelet bars is 068ST2207, and for straps 068ST2208.

Cheers, Al

iatacs19, watchos, frazierspa and 3 others like this.
  7. Theognosis Nov 1, 2017

Yes, using longer spring bars (used for straps) will make it difficult for you to install the bracelet. One time I managed to fit in the bracelet on my AT using the longer springbars only to find out that it was even more difficult to remove the endlinks once you snap the bracelet in place. Fortunately, I was able able to remove the bracelet without damaging the lugs or the endlinks. I used a lot of tape and even a lupe to pull it off.

Just to let you know, I used the springbars that came with the strap, which is a no-no. I suspect that you’re trying out the pair of spring bars that your old strap was using. I suggest that you research the correct bracelet springbar part # for your model.

8. Theognosis Nov 1, 2017

There you go. Archer has the part no. Sorry about that as we posted almost at the same time. :)

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 1, 2017

There you go another worthless @Archer post, filled with nothing but good advice, clarity, and specific succinct information :rolleyes:

Paedipod, abrod520 and Foo2rama like this.
  10. JBZ Nov 1, 2017

You describe my situation exactly - thanks. Now that I have the parts number, I'll source some and should be all set.

Theognosis likes this.
  11. Shailor Nov 1, 2017

Would the local OB have these?

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 1, 2017

I would expect so...but if not they should be able to order some in. Omega uses a lot of different spring bars, but these are the most common part numbers I replace, so I expect it would be the same for an OB.

Cheers, Al

Shailor likes this.
  13. frazierspa Nov 1, 2017

Thanks, Al! Huge help!

14. rob#1 Nov 9, 2017

Wish I’d waited for Al’s post before cursing while trying to refit the bracelet with the longer spring bars - luckily I checked back through the forum to discover the different bar lengths, and all good now ::book::